F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MPPSK question
Studio RSR

10-15-2021, 08:57 PM   #1
Hxngs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2018 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
MPPSK question

If I was to get the mppsk kit from getbmwparts.com for my 340i. Can I install the exhaust myself and have a bmw dealer flash it and keep my warranty on the car? I've been trying to do research and I'm getting a bunch of mixed reviews due to different dealers. I just want to double check before I order one. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 11:55 AM   #2
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Only your dealer can answer this question, since it is a dealership call whether they would accept (recognise) your installation or not.

Formally, they have every right to refuse. Informally, they could be pragmatic about it. I wouldn't bother though as you would be saving peanuts compared to the overall cost of the product. The exhaust is installed in 30 min by the dealer.

This thread may be educational:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1858935
      10-16-2021, 12:39 PM   #3
Hxngs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Only your dealer can answer this question, since it is a dealership call whether they would accept (recognise) your installation or not.

Formally, they have every right to refuse. Informally, they could be pragmatic about it. I wouldn't bother though as you would be saving peanuts compared to the overall cost of the product. The exhaust is installed in 30 min by the dealer.

This thread may be educational:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1858935
I'd rather install it myself so I just have to take it to flash it but I would also like to keep my warranty. I'll give them a call and see what they say. Might see if they'll even price match it instead. Worst comes to worse. I'll just have them install it completely
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 03:54 PM   #4
aardate
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X4MC

I shopped online and asked the dealer to match it and they came close so that's how I got the best price. The physical part of the installation is pretty straight forward and takes less than an hour, it's the software tune in my case that took close to 3 hours. So in terms of labor cost you really aren't saving much.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 05:59 PM   #5
Hxngs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardate View Post
I shopped online and asked the dealer to match it and they came close so that's how I got the best price. The physical part of the installation is pretty straight forward and takes less than an hour, it's the software tune in my case that took close to 3 hours. So in terms of labor cost you really aren't saving much.
The dealer wants 3200 plus taxes and 650 for labor. Did you do the install yourself and just had them code the tune in? That's what I meant to do
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 06:07 PM   #6
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hxngs View Post
Quote:
The dealer wants 3200 plus taxes and 650 for labor. Did you do the install yourself and just had them code the tune in? That's what I meant to do
What we are trying to tell you is that no matter what price for labour they gave you, the physical installation only takes less than an hour. What takes longer (3 days in my case) is the "just have them code the tune" part, which requires downloading and registering the software before actually putting it on the car. And that sometimes takes a lot of time, especially if the dealership has little or no experience with installing MPPSK.

Hence you may want to ask for an offer from another dealership, but you will not be saving much by installing the exhaust yourself as that's the "easy" part, believe it or not.
      10-16-2021, 06:09 PM   #7
Hxngs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What we are trying to tell you is that no matter what price for labour they gave you, the physical installation only takes less than an hour. What takes longer (3 days in my case) is the "just have them code the tune" part, which requires downloading and registering the software before actually putting it on the car. And that sometimes takes a lot of time, especially if the dealership has little or no experience with installing MPPSK.
Okay I see what you mean now. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 12:26 PM   #8
pinoykid1307
Just a lurker
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 540i

Garage List
Quote:
If I was to get the mppsk kit from getbmwparts.com for my 340i. Can I install the exhaust myself and have a bmw dealer flash it and keep my warranty on the car? I've been trying to do research and I'm getting a bunch of mixed reviews due to different dealers. I just want to double check before I order one. Thank you
I actually did exactly this last August.

I purchased my MPPSK from a dealership, installed the catback and tips with a friend. The following day, I dropped off my car at the same dealership to flash the MPPSK tune. I was charged for one hour of labor.

The dealership gave me the same price as the getbmwparts.com site + tax. No shipping charge.
Appreciate 1
MoeTE87656.00
      10-20-2021, 07:05 PM   #9
Hxngs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoykid1307 View Post
Quote:

I purchased my MPPSK from a dealership, installed the catback and tips with a friend. The following day, I dropped off my car at the same dealership to flash the MPPSK tune. I was charged for one hour of labor.

The dealership gave me the same price as the getbmwparts.com site + tax. No shipping charge.
Installing it yourself won't void your warranty or anything like that? That's my main concern
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 01:41 AM   #10
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Installing it yourself won't void your warranty or anything like that? That's my main concern
Judgement call.

See thread I linked to above.
      10-21-2021, 06:50 AM   #11
Hxngs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Judgement call.

See thread I linked to above.
I meant for the actual car like drivetrain and stuff. Not the warranty for the exhaust
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 06:52 AM   #12
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Exactly the same - judgement call. You will only find out when/if it comes to it. I personally wouldn't risk it for the little saving you gonna do (in comparison to the equipment price).
      10-21-2021, 09:11 AM   #13
Hxngs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Exactly the same - judgement call. You will only find out when/if it comes to it. I personally wouldn't risk it for the little saving you gonna do (in comparison to the equipment price).
Yeah, you're right. When I'm ready to buy. I'll give my dealer a call and see if they can install it or match the price or somewhere near it so I can buy it from them too. I'll have them do the install as well. Rather keep my warranty than deal with a headache.
Appreciate 0