F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Port Injection or Meth Injection
ARMA SPEED

06-18-2021, 12:50 PM   #1
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Port Injection or Meth Injection

In this video, I discuss how to run meth safely and how to choose what's right for you.

Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 3
      06-18-2021, 03:17 PM   #2
TouringM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 6MT / '16 F31

Garage List
This
Was
Excellent

Instagram: @TouringM3
Appreciate 1
kern4174445.00
      06-18-2021, 08:33 PM   #3
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Great vid as always
Appreciate 1
kern4174445.00
      06-19-2021, 02:46 AM   #4
kriszty
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: B58 M240ix pureturbo800 dorch1

Like always , Nice write...

question ? how about cleaning the Nozzles for the direct port injection, is this something what have to be done every year . I do like the idea of direct port injection, but with 6 nozzels there is always a change it can be clogged. how safe is the direct port ...
      06-21-2021, 12:26 PM   #5
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriszty View Post
Like always , Nice write...

question ? how about cleaning the Nozzles for the direct port injection, is this something what have to be done every year . I do like the idea of direct port injection, but with 6 nozzels there is always a change it can be clogged. how safe is the direct port ...
There is no difference in maintenance for port. But if you're running High ethanol content then it's recommended to run a tank of 93 from time to time to flush the system
Appreciate 1
kriszty328.50
      06-21-2021, 08:47 PM   #6
Devil doc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240ix

Can you run meth though the Ethanol pi system?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 07:23 AM   #7
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil doc View Post
Can you run meth though the Ethanol pi system?
If by ethanol PI system you mean port fuel injection, then yes. All you'd need to do is add methanol to your gas tank the same way we add ethanol to make a blend like E30. But methanol puts an even bigger strain on your fuel system compared to ethanol. You'll hit the fuel limits sooner, which means less boost and typically less power.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 04:20 PM   #8
J3Vr6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i (RWD)

Man, you mentioned something in your video that I didn't really think about before. Am I wrong here, and sorry if this sounds ignorant (I really am with meth): With meth (port or otherwise), the custom tune is going to assume 100% spraying. So daily driving it's going to be spraying 100% of the time if you don't disable it through the meth controller, which means you're basically wasting meth during drives to work. And if you disable with the controller, that means you have to re-flash to a different tune each time you do that?

Background: The only e85 gas stations near me aren't practical as daily driving fuel stops (ie. extremely out of the way), so I want to build with a meth system to supplement the fuel I'd love to daily drive with meth 100% of the time and not have to keep flashing every time, but I can't imagine a tank in the trunk would last very long like that.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 10:47 PM   #9
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3Vr6 View Post
Man, you mentioned something in your video that I didn't really think about before. Am I wrong here, and sorry if this sounds ignorant (I really am with meth): With meth (port or otherwise), the custom tune is going to assume 100% spraying. So daily driving it's going to be spraying 100% of the time if you don't disable it through the meth controller, which means you're basically wasting meth during drives to work. And if you disable with the controller, that means you have to re-flash to a different tune each time you do that?

Background: The only e85 gas stations near me aren't practical as daily driving fuel stops (ie. extremely out of the way), so I want to build with a meth system to supplement the fuel I'd love to daily drive with meth 100% of the time and not have to keep flashing every time, but I can't imagine a tank in the trunk would last very long like that.
You'd typically only spray meth when you're on boost, so it's not spraying all the time. And your custom tune would be built around when you would actually spray meth. And yes, if your custom tune assumes you'll be spraying meth at some point, if you run out/disable, you'd want to flash a map that works off of the stock fueling system.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 2
kern4174445.00
J3Vr610.50
      06-25-2021, 04:11 AM   #10
Glemm1970
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: BMW M140IX.

Set the controller to 13psi and 60% throttle opening. This is quite enough for normal driving with a map for methanol, but without supplying it. There have never been any problems.
      06-25-2021, 07:23 AM   #11
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3Vr6 View Post

Maybe a way to think about it is it's like Nitrous. You hit a button that triggers the spray, but also your tune adjusts to make more power.

Now put that button under your gas pedal, so every time you floor it, the nitrous sprays. Your tune will be set so that it targets more power at full throttle than it would without the nitrous.

Meth is similar. It's always *ready* to spray when daily driving, but you only use it when it's spraying i.e. a certain boost level, RPM, etc. Typically you'll set it up so it won't spray while crusing, so you won't be using it unless you're pushing the car hard.

Now if you just put it in your gas tank, then it will always be used. But plenty of people run E85 or racing ethanol through their meth system for the very reason you mentioned. Far fewer fillups, still pretty cheap to run from the pump, and all the power you want when it's needed.
Appreciate 1
J3Vr610.50
      07-27-2021, 09:44 PM   #12
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i xDrive

@kern417

Any recommendations for kits? There is SnowPerformance Stages I - III and the only reason I would go for stage 3 is because they boast a Terminated Digital Variable Mapping Controller.

How would the stage III benefit over the stage I if I am going to get a custom tune for it? Aftermarket charge pipes only have 1 bung anyways right?

I'm using BM3 if that makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 10:40 AM   #13
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrxToBeamerGuy View Post
@kern417

Any recommendations for kits? There is SnowPerformance Stages I - III and the only reason I would go for stage 3 is because they boast a Terminated Digital Variable Mapping Controller.

How would the stage III benefit over the stage I if I am going to get a custom tune for it? Aftermarket charge pipes only have 1 bung anyways right?

I'm using BM3 if that makes a difference.
i recommend the williams performance/cobb developments port injection kit. i describe it in the video
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 07:03 PM   #14
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
i recommend the williams performance/cobb developments port injection kit. i describe it in the video
Right and I have your video as a resource so I don't know why I didn't just reference it. I guess my question is that my IATs in the summer can get very high and I would want to just spray water with no meth.

My assumption is that if I am only spraying water and the system fails for whatever reason I wouldn't damage the engine since only my IATs would go up and my car would pull timing without causing any damage to my engine whereas if it was meth and the system failed I would run much too lean and could cause engine damage.

The issues with charge pipe injection and meth are uneven distribution of the meth for fueling whereas using just water injection at the charge pipe is cooling the air and there is no distribution problem correct?

I guess im trying to determine if just spraying water would correct my high IAT issue without any downside of potentially damaging my engine if the system were to fail mid pull.

Last edited by WrxToBeamerGuy; 07-28-2021 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 07:33 AM   #15
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrxToBeamerGuy View Post
Right and I have your video as a resource so I don't know why I didn't just reference it. I guess my question is that my IATs in the summer can get very high and I would want to just spray water with no meth.

My assumption is that if I am only spraying water and the system fails for whatever reason I wouldn't damage the engine since only my IATs would go up and my car would pull timing without causing any damage to my engine whereas if it was meth and the system failed I would run much too lean and could cause engine damage.

The issues with charge pipe injection and meth are uneven distribution of the meth for fueling whereas using just water injection at the charge pipe is cooling the air and there is no distribution problem correct?

I guess im trying to determine if just spraying water would correct my high IAT issue without any downside of potentially damaging my engine if the system were to fail mid pull.
it should help if you spray in the chargepipe
Appreciate 0