F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 'beep' and 'ssshhhh' sounds when pressing/releasing brake pedal at slow speed
GetBMWParts

07-15-2021, 02:44 PM   #1
Santi
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i xDrive F30 N20

Exclamation 'beep' and 'ssshhhh' sounds when pressing/releasing brake pedal at slow speed

waddup peeps,

need your help to try and figure this thing out. noob here.

i hear this 'beep and 'sshhh' sound when i press/release the brake pedal while moving at slow speed, like parking the car. it's not loud, and i'd say quite faint, but really audible in an underground garage if you're beside/near the car. light touch on the pedal is all it needs to beep and shhhh. you could also hear the double beep when i repressed the brake pedal prior to stopping. the shhh is after the beep and i hear it going forward and backwards.

can't hear the sounds at regular driving speed outside.

i don't think it's brake squeal. pads are pretty thick (75%) and rotors are clean.

i tried to capture it with my phone while driving in and out of my parking spot. might have to turn the volume up and/or use headphones.

youtube link

i noticed it the other day and was wondering what it could be, and if it's normal or not.

2014 f30 329i xdrive, all stock.

thanks.

Last edited by Santi; 07-15-2021 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: youtube link added
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 05:25 PM   #2
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
That beep you hear is actually the exhaust valve opening or closing. The shhhh is just the noise of brake pads against rotors. Normal.
Interior: Bavsound stage 1 and subs - custom trunk sub by Mike1327
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 05:30 PM   #3
Santi
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eschmacher View Post
That beep you hear is actually the exhaust valve opening or closing. The shhhh is just the noise of brake pads against rotors. Normal.
ahhh, interesting. sorry totally new here, but exhaust valve of what? and the beeps sounded like electronically produced beeps (?).

thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 02:06 PM   #4
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

Quote:
The exhaust valve only opens in WOT or heavy loads when in sport or sport+ mode. Or it's coded to "always open". It doesn't open and close with braking….nor does it beep for that matter.

The sound does seem in line with brake noises but you're actually there and hearing it so if you're saying it's an electronic beep I believe you…. No idea what cause that though. There's no speaker on any component on the exterior of your car that I know of so the noise would have to be coming from the interior. But you only hear it in parking garages… quite the mystery
      07-16-2021, 02:53 PM   #5
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdangelo View Post
The exhaust valve only opens in WOT or heavy loads when in sport or sport+ mode. Or it's coded to "always open". It doesn't open and close with braking….nor does it beep for that matter.

The sound does seem in line with brake noises but you're actually there and hearing it so if you're saying it's an electronic beep I believe you…. No idea what cause that though. There's no speaker on any component on the exterior of your car that I know of so the noise would have to be coming from the interior. But you only hear it in parking garages… quite the mystery

Skip to 5:34 if the timestamp didn't work. That noise is the valve opening and closing. It opens and closes way more than just at WOT and heavy loads. I had to code mine open with a previous exhaust because it kept opening and closing at weird times and made my exhaust switch between straight-pipe and muffled constantly.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 02:55 PM   #6
njdangelo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Skip to 5:34 if the timestamp didn't work. That noise is the valve opening and closing. It opens and closes way more than just at WOT and heavy loads. I had to code mine open with a previous exhaust because it kept opening and closing at weird times and made my exhaust switch between straight-pipe and muffled constantly.
It seems your exhaust flap was malfunctioning because the information I provided is correct.
      07-16-2021, 02:57 PM   #7
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
It seems your exhaust flap was malfunctioning because the information I provided is correct.
Ok bud.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 05:41 PM   #8
Santi
Canada
Rep

the sound on 5:34 does sound very similar to what i'm hearing, but this valve is towards the back. i think i hear it more towards the front.

the beep that i hear sounds more prominent and as mentioned sounds electronically produced (?).

how often would this valve open and close? would it actually open/close almost at the same time and as frequent as you press the brake pedal?

i'm holding off going to the mech until i have a better understanding of what it might be.

i might have to try and capture a better vid, but this beep sshh sound has been on my mind since

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 08:12 AM   #9
njdangelo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ok bud.
The valve on the f30 exhaust is electronically controlled and solely responsible for noise reduction. In comfort mode, this valve is closed unless you give it substantial gas (aka heavy load). In sport and sport+ the exhaust valve is open, again for noise. If your suggesting it opens and closes when braking in a parking lot please provide information to back that up. Please provide any information that is contrary to mine as I do enjoy learning more about my vehicle. After your original post I spent some time googling but could not find any info that would suggest the exhaust valve opens on a continuous or frequent basis.
      07-19-2021, 04:56 AM   #10
AMG KLR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC

I might be totally wrong but I think there is a switch that engages the rear brake lights when you step on the brake with "1%" of pressure which is best described as a shutter sound. For all I know i could be mistaken but I have heard that same sound and sensation on other cars like our tahoe
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 12:46 PM   #11
psyki
E36fiend
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i xDrive

Garage List
2014 435i xDrive  [0.00]
2014 X5  [0.00]
In the video it almost sounds like a tiny bit of brake squeal. There is absolutely no reason for any electronic beeping sounds to be made when applying the brakes, if there is indeed a "beep" coming from the speakers or elsewhere you need to get a better video of it.

I don't hear the 'ssshh' sound you described but as others mentioned that could just be the pads dragging on the rotor.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 02:19 PM   #12
Santi
Canada
Rep

the 'beep' happens right when the brake pedal is pressed/released (top position).

i guess the 'ssshhh' sound is when the pads engage, as it makes sense that it's the contact made.

the 'beep' sound is audible outside only and pretty consistent with the brake pedal action.

i'd like to add that this happens on both comfort and eco mode. i have not tried on sports mode.

(i'll try to get better vid).
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 10:47 PM   #13
Santi
Canada
Rep

i originally thought that the beep and shh sound was in sync with pressing/releasing the brake pedal. the sounds actually appear to come from when the car starts moving and when it stops. Not when pressing/releasing the brake pedal.

press brake > car slows down > that moment before the car fully stops you hear the beep sshhh sound.

release brake > that initial moment the car starts moving you hear the sound.

at the beginning of the vid, i also tried accelerating a little before applying the brakes. no gas input towards the end of vid.

you could see the timing on the reflection.

https://youtu.be/Bl0G37HUM2g

Slow speed. No gas input.

https://youtu.be/lgqVkSoY244

same on eco, comfort, sports mode.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 05:26 AM   #14
njdangelo
Captain
Rep

Still sounds like brake noise to me
      09-14-2021, 05:54 PM   #15
Santi
Canada
Rep

so i took the car to the stealership hoping that the 'experts' would recognize the sounds. i was repeatedly told that it's normal and if there's no issues braking then to just leave it alone.

1) service ambassador thinks it's normal and suggested to leave it be, but suspects the rear rotors/brakes. he believes that the sounds are coming from the rear of the car.

2) another tech listened and visually inspected the car and said it's normal and if there are no issues driving then leave it alone.

3) sr tech took the car for a spin and gave it an ok and suggested to leave it be.

all 3 also mentioned that in order for them to investigate further, then i would be billed for diagnostics starting with the brakes/rotors inspection. extra diagnostics/investigation will give them better idea. but of course, any diagnostics would be billable.

so the only progress is that the sounds appear to be coming from the rear of the car.

from Eschmacher 's post = shutter/valve, and possibly the shhh from brake/rotor rub.

but one thing i'm thinking that's not in line with brake rub is that the ssshhh sound happens before and after moving. so sticky pads? delayed disengage and causing the rub sshhh sound?!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 12:20 PM   #16
Santi
Canada
Rep

i had the front rotors changed. formed rust rings on the inside facing part, from storage. pads are still over 75%. rear pads/rotors are good.

i still hear the freaking beep and sshhhh sound. indy mech said it's normal, and not to worry unless driving/braking is affected. offered to replace the rear pads too but doesn't think the sounds are from the rotors.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 02:03 PM   #17
njdangelo
Captain
Rep

You said the noise is coming from the rear but are surprised that replacing the front rotors didn't fix it? I'm confused by this. You've had 4 separate mechanics inform you that there is nothing amiss. It still sounds like brakes engaging on low pressure to me. I think it might be time to move on from this. After all, the only time you hear the noise is when parking in a silent parking garage. You could probably hear your own heart beat under those circumstances. I think you're becoming hyper sensitive to the sound. Just turn the radio on when parking and call it fixed lol