F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Is there a football thread?
Studio RSR

08-25-2021, 01:21 PM   #89
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrManor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobyd View Post
Quote:
Let me guess... scouser?!
How dare you….
Been a while since we had a bona fide LFC fan in here. It's a Grand Land up there

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 3
JustChris17483.00
isleaiw18751.50
allachie91334.00
      08-25-2021, 03:47 PM   #90
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
So Kane is staying put....
ie no one thinks he's worth >£100M
Well certainly nobody appears to think he's worth Tottenham's valuation! However, I do think there was an element he's perhaps worth more to Spurs than he is to anyone else so, in the absence of a release clause in his contract, they could just put a value on him they knew nobody was going to pay....
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 03:53 PM   #91
Scoobyd
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci Sport / Macan GTS

And they never did put a value on him, as he was never for sale.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 04:00 PM   #92
MrManor
Captain
Gambia
Rep
Drives: Fiat Stilo estate mapped

Quote:
They’re all for sale
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 04:06 PM   #93
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Not so sure about that - £150m was widely reported as being the figure at which Spurs would let him go. And the suggestion on Sky tonight was Kane could have probably got his move this summer if he and his advisors had gone about it differently...
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 04:37 PM   #94
Scoobyd
Major
Rep

Widely reported by who? The media. Who it's proven time and again know little to nothing.

Fact is the most City came up with was £75m + £25m in add ons. The media then plucked this £150m plus figure. But the club at no time put a value on him, as their stance throughout was he's not for sale.

Of course everything has its price. But City chose not to test Levy's mettle.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2021, 05:57 PM   #95
MrManor
Captain
Gambia
Rep

Quote:
Widely reported by who? The media. Who it's proven time and again know little to nothing.

Fact is the most City came up with was £75m + £25m in add ons. The media then plucked this £150m plus figure. But the club at no time put a value on him, as their stance throughout was he's not for sale.

Big club mentality
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 07:42 PM   #96
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

I texted a mate who is a LFC supporter that he should check out the EPL table. He has studiously ignored me since.

Up the Irons!!
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2021, 04:00 AM   #97
MrManor
Captain
Gambia
Rep

So Pep has said he will be on his way out soon and no Kane, there will be a few upset people in Manchester.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 04:04 AM   #98
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:

City did test Levy's mettle; however, their offer wasn't high enough and they weren't prepared to go to the sort of level required to prise Kane away from Spurs. But if the number had been high enough Levy would have sold - everyone has his price so, while Tottenham didn't want to sell, IMO they would have done if City (or someone else) had offered a silly figure.

Whether Spurs have made the right decision only time will tell. If they have a good season and win something it will look a sound choice but if they win nothing, finish outside of the top four and end-up losing Kane next summer for less than City were offering this time round Levy's victory will seem a very hollow one...
Appreciate 1
dazzapb1050.00
      08-26-2021, 10:56 AM   #99
MrManor
Captain
Gambia
Rep

Mendy!

Goes from bad to worse for the blue Mancs…..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 12:09 PM   #100
Scoobyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
City did test Levy's mettle; however, their offer wasn't high enough and they weren't prepared to go to the sort of level required to prise Kane away from Spurs. But if the number had been high enough Levy would have sold - everyone has his price so, while Tottenham didn't want to sell, IMO they would have done if City (or someone else) had offered a silly figure.

Whether Spurs have made the right decision only time will tell. If they have a good season and win something it will look a sound choice but if they win nothing, finish outside of the top four and end-up losing Kane next summer for less than City were offering this time round Levy's victory will seem a very hollow one...
You think offering £75m + £25m in add ons was testing Levy's mettle? I'd imagine that was a relatively short conversation! Of course they would have sold if a too good to be true offer had been tabled. Nobody's denying that.

How can it be anything but the right decision for Spurs? Selling him for the one and only offer that was tabled would have been selling their biggest asset for less than he's worth. And if he had been sold, they'd have had to go out into the market and spend the money they'd got for him on replacing his goals. It's not like they could have just left the money sat in the bank. It doesn't matter what they win or where they finish in that regard. Remember also that as an academy player Kane cost Spurs nothing. And Kane will still be worth a lot next summer when more clubs should have money to spend. Or he'll decide to stick around at Spurs for longer. Either way, Spurs don't lose.

When teams like City, Chelsea, Utd exist with the way they throw money around it's very hard for other teams to finish in the top 4 or win trophies. Judging teams on that basis isn't really reflective. Nobody this season expects a top 4 made up of anything other than City, Chelsea, Utd and Liverpool. For the other teams not to break into that it doesn't reflect failure. More expectation.

Even Man Utd haven't won a trophy for over 4 years now and look at the money and wages they throw around.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 12:52 PM   #101
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Mendy!

City's hopes went up with Mendy suspended!
      08-26-2021, 12:54 PM   #102
MrManor
Captain
Gambia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Quote:
Mendy!

City's hopes went up with Mendy suspended!
He can only hope his lawyer is better at defence.
Appreciate 2
JustChris17483.00
Harryg275.00
      08-26-2021, 01:07 PM   #103
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

This thread can be closed now. LFC will win the league.
Bournemouth and MK dons get promoted and all will be well with the world...
Appreciate 1
allachie91334.00
      08-26-2021, 02:02 PM   #104
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post

You think offering £75m + £25m in add ons was testing Levy's mettle? I'd imagine that was a relatively short conversation! Of course they would have sold if a too good to be true offer had been tabled. Nobody's denying that.

How can it be anything but the right decision for Spurs? Selling him for the one and only offer that was tabled would have been selling their biggest asset for less than he's worth. And if he had been sold, they'd have had to go out into the market and spend the money they'd got for him on replacing his goals. It's not like they could have just left the money sat in the bank. It doesn't matter what they win or where they finish in that regard. Remember also that as an academy player Kane cost Spurs nothing. And Kane will still be worth a lot next summer when more clubs should have money to spend. Or he'll decide to stick around at Spurs for longer. Either way, Spurs don't lose.

When teams like City, Chelsea, Utd exist with the way they throw money around it's very hard for other teams to finish in the top 4 or win trophies. Judging teams on that basis isn't really reflective. Nobody this season expects a top 4 made up of anything other than City, Chelsea, Utd and Liverpool. For the other teams not to break into that it doesn't reflect failure. More expectation.

Even Man Utd haven't won a trophy for over 4 years now and look at the money and wages they throw around.
What City actually offered as a first bid - or more to the point what they were prepared to offer as a final bid - we'll never know. If true I'd agree £100m for Kane including add-ons looks light when they'd just paid £100m for Grealish but if they'd have gone to the rumoured £120-130m I think that would have represented a good offer and potentially good business for Spurs; yes they'd have had no Harry Kane but they'd have had significant money to reinvest which could have arguably given them a better squad overall. As it is they've retained a player who doesn't really want to be there and are just banking on his professionalism to ensure he gets on with his job and doesn't do a Van Dijk by looking to force a move. Being a Spurs lad I suspect Kane will knuckle down and do exactly that but it doesn't alter the fact Tottenham have in effect blocked a move by putting a price on his head nobody was ever going to pay - of course they were entitled to do that but it sounds like Levy has welched on an agreement with Kane in the process (which could result in some simmering discontent even if he doesn't actually down tools).

Whether Spurs will lose out if Kane goes next summer is open to question. However, if City were indeed prepared to go to around £120m this summer I'm not convinced he'll be worth more - or even as much - this time next year; if (when?) Erling Haaland's release clause is triggered it's around half that so will clubs really be queuing-up to pay over £100m for a player who'll be hitting 30 in a little more than 12 months after signing? From where we are now I think Kane's more likely to be a depreciating than appreciating asset but only time will tell.

I don't disagree with any of your comments around the difficulty of breaking into the top 4 but let's remember it's not that long ago Spurs did exactly that for several seasons running and things like the new stadium - and their involvement in the infamous ESL - suggests they believe they should have a seat at the top table. Just finishing in the top half of the PL - with no real expectation of winning anything - is surely not what Tottenham aspire to?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 02:14 PM   #105
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
This thread can be closed now. LFC will win the league.
Bournemouth and MK dons get promoted and all will be well with the world...
I could live with two of those, but I still havent got over Franchise FC nicking the club from its homeland and moving it 50 miles up the M1. So they can do one.

Come on the real Dons.....

(I'd like Bolton to get promoted as another Chesterfield legend is manager there, I would say that I'd like Burnley to win the Prem for same reason but that is a bit beyond hope!)
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 02:36 PM   #106
2CRO4TV
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 BSM M340i

Garage List
2021 M340i  [0.00]
https://www.skysports.com/football/n...o-sign-forward

The world has gone mad, how can you justify paying £145m for someone who will be a free transfer in 12 months. Furthermore it's his dream to play for Real Madrid so they would always be his first choice you would have thought. No wonder Barca and Real are in so much debt absolute financial madness.
Appreciate 1
MrManor537.00
      08-26-2021, 03:11 PM   #107
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Quote:
I could live with two of those, but I still havent got over Franchise FC nicking the club from its homeland and moving it 50 miles up the M1. So they can do one.
We played Franchise a few weeks back..gobby lot, similar to Watford fans but yes they actually sing 'club stealing barstards we know who we are'....

That said they've been around 17 years, young fanbase who've latched onto their local football team rather than Spurs I guess.. I think we're just generally nonplussed nowadays. Recall back in the day we'd boycott the place until we started a decent run and took 4k or something up there.

Football fans really are fickle.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 04:20 PM   #108
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1664 View Post
We played Franchise a few weeks back..gobby lot, similar to Watford fans but yes they actually sing 'club stealing barstards we know who we are'....

That said they've been around 17 years, young fanbase who've latched onto their local football team rather than Spurs I guess.. I think we're just generally nonplussed nowadays. Recall back in the day we'd boycott the place until we started a decent run and took 4k or something up there.

Agreed with the last line. Dont get me wrong, I was glad to see MK get a team, one of my closer ones if I discount Watford and Luton for obvious reasons, but they went about it the wrong way.... It could happen to any lower league club going forward and the FA dont seem to care a jot.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 04:37 PM   #109
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1664 View Post

Agreed with the last line. Dont get me wrong, I was glad to see MK get a team, one of my closer ones if I discount Watford and Luton for obvious reasons, but they went about it the wrong way.... It could happen to any lower league club going forward and the FA dont seem to care a jot.
Glad to see I managed to get a couple of "dons" fans.. from a traditional fan I can understand the annoyance but as mentioned it was a while a go now.
Stadium MK is a great place to go and really is a championship or higher ground, just need the team!

As for Bournemouth I still own a bit of it after filling the buckets when going to Dean Court many moons ago on a regular basis. Good if hazy days!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 08:20 PM   #110
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Any Ted Lasso fans?

Love the fact it's set in Richmond and Richmond Rugby/FC is/was one of the oldest clubs in the world.
Richmond played Barnes in 1863 using the new FA rules so its kind of stranger than fiction!

Anyhow I really love the show partially because of the local area and recognising spots (loving the pub banter!) but the script is excellent and the acting to boot. Characters are funny too, some of it is a bit meh but overall it's terrific
Appreciate 0