F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Road noise after coil overs installed.
Studio RSR

09-01-2021, 12:57 AM   #1
awschubert
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Road noise after coil overs installed.

I installed some bc racing coil overs on my 2016 328i and only the drivers side is making a lot of road noise and almost like some rattling not clicking. The noise is more than normal. It is definitely just coming from the drivers side and I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are that could be wrong. I checked everything and all of the joints and gaskets looked good so just racking my brain to figure it out. I have an appointment for an alignment check tomorrow too.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 06:37 PM   #2
andrew3series
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by awschubert View Post
I installed some bc racing coil overs on my 2016 328i and only the drivers side is making a lot of road noise and almost like some rattling not clicking. The noise is more than normal. It is definitely just coming from the drivers side and I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are that could be wrong. I checked everything and all of the joints and gaskets looked good so just racking my brain to figure it out. I have an appointment for an alignment check tomorrow too.
For me it was a metallic clunking after coilover install, turned out to be bushings. (Coilovers have less dampening than stock so it exposed the bushing failure noise to an annoying level)
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 09:17 PM   #3
awschubert
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew3series View Post
Quote:
For me it was a metallic clunking after coilover install, turned out to be bushings. (Coilovers have less dampening than stock so it exposed the bushing failure noise to an annoying level)
Thanks for sharing!! I don't feel like it's a metallic clunking I guess for me to explain it like I can just hear the road noise way more just from the front drivers side. Maybe as I'm driving home tonight it sounds kinda like something is loose. I also need to raise it up cuz now that I've drove it's way to low for my liking and maybe some of those adjustments will fix it. I'm gonna take the wheels off in a couple days on my day off and make sure that the camber didn't change and is the same on both sides and see if raising the car helps and make sure everything is secure and I didn't miss something. I'll post an update but still curious other input too.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 11:52 AM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

awschubert, did you also install camber plates with BC coilovers? Was the installation done by a shop or DIY?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 12:10 PM   #5
awschubert
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
awschubert, did you also install camber plates with BC coilovers? Was the installation done by a shop or DIY?
It was diy and yes I did install camber plates
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 12:39 PM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

This thread discusses BC coilovers camber plates (and alternative camber plates) which can be noisy:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1459014
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 01:22 PM   #7
awschubert
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
This thread discusses BC coilovers camber plates (and alternative camber plates) which can be noisy:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1459014
Ok thanks, I'm doing a quick browse thru and it's not really a clunk that happens it is a constant annoying road noise for the most part. I made adjustments to my ride height last night and made sure every thing is torqued to specs.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 06:01 PM   #8
F32Spawn
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Hey sorry to dig up your old thread. I just installed my Coilovers (Broadway Static) and I’m having the same road noise you described. It’s not metal clunking. Did you resolve this issue?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2023, 04:07 PM   #9
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Spawn View Post
Hey sorry to dig up your old thread. I just installed my Coilovers (Broadway Static) and I’m having the same road noise you described. It’s not metal clunking. Did you resolve this issue?
This is pretty much the reality when you install aftermarket suspension parts, namely camber plates. They don't have the sound dampening that oem strut mounts have so they transmit more of the road noise as well as mechanical noises from the moving parts of the car to the cabin. It's just the way it is
      02-18-2023, 10:16 AM   #10
F32Spawn
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvac View Post
This is pretty much the reality when you install aftermarket suspension parts, namely camber plates. They don't have the sound dampening that oem strut mounts have so they transmit more of the road noise as well as mechanical noises from the moving parts of the car to the cabin. It's just the way it is
I 100% agree with you and I’ve had plenty of cars lowered on Coilovers. And I’m accustomed to all of the more noticeable noises. But for some reason this seems irregular. It’s like a cross between a rubbing and a clunking noise if that makes sense. It’s almost like a “hollowness” noise.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 02:26 PM   #11
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Spawn View Post
I 100% agree with you and I’ve had plenty of cars lowered on Coilovers. And I’m accustomed to all of the more noticeable noises. But for some reason this seems irregular. It’s like a cross between a rubbing and a clunking noise if that makes sense. It’s almost like a “hollowness” noise.
Well, I don't run bc coilovers so I can't say what's normal but I have read many comments here about their noise issues. I don't know if what you're describing is normal or not. But there's definitely added clunking and thrumming/vibrating type noises from my Milway plates when riding over bumps and cracks especially audible at low speeds.