F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Test drive a Tesla….
Studio RSR

09-16-2021, 04:43 PM   #133
AyrshireColin
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Taycan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktemplar View Post
I’m slightly tempted by the iX3 as it ticks all the same boxes as the petrol version, other than noise, acceleration and some of the toys. Although it’s 2WD I guess that’s only occasionally a requirement.
Personally I wouldn’t be considering swapping the X3 M40i for an iX3. I’d think the only way it makes any sense is if desperate to get into an EV.
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2021, 01:38 AM   #134
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbles View Post
I'm coming to the same conclusion at the moment. Even if you look at the environmental angle. It would be better for me to use the additional money I'd spend changing cars into insulating and changing the heating in the house I'm about to buy.
I’m slightly tempted by the iX3 as it ticks all the same boxes as the petrol version, other than noise, acceleration and some of the toys. Although it’s 2WD I guess that’s only occasionally a requirement.
X3 30e..? Took a look around the LCI today and it's a cracking car. I just wish the 31mikes was more of a 40.
      09-17-2021, 01:39 AM   #135
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Slightly tempted would be the words that made me decide its not for me.

Do the environmental thing and keep the one you have
I’m glad we have this forum to bring me back to my senses..

Can’t disagree with you - I was almost seduced by the shiny technomological dark side there.

On a more serious note, it does make you think about the whole life cycle of environmental impact. If you stand back from our fascination with new toys, the eco-burden of me buying a new EV is probably greater than just sticking with my ICE beastie but only doing a few thousand miles a year. I saw an article recently that suggested we might just about have enough lithium in the world to make batteries for the next 10 years or so, which is a bit alarming.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 01:47 AM   #136
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
X3 30e..? Took a look around the LCI today and it's a cracking car. I just wish the 31mikes was more of a 40.
When it comes right down to it Chris, the noise, acceleration and toys are what I really like. Childish for a man of my advanced years, but it makes me smile.

Doubt an EV would do that and I can’t see me grinning like a maniac as I (silently) hammer away from the lights perhaps only accompanied by the soundtrack of Interstellar.

If someone could just make a straight six that matched the M40i for noise & drama but had the ability to go 40-50 miles on battery alone, was as practical as the X3 and cost under £50K, and attracted strong dealer support and a low APR... and ran on unicorn wee....
Appreciate 2
JustChris17483.00
      09-17-2021, 04:11 AM   #137
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Quite a bit OT, but on the subject of the LCI our local dealer has a Brooklyn Grey X3 M40i on show, with the black wheels and what looks like M-style wing mirrors. Have to say the LCI changes make it look slightly more aggressive & muscular. I particularly like the rear light clusters which look like the Covenant energy sword from Halo

This is one from across the pond, but defo looks the mutt's...

Attached Images

Last edited by Blacktemplar; 09-17-2021 at 04:18 AM..
Appreciate 2
JustChris17483.00
G50932.00
      09-17-2021, 04:59 AM   #138
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm coming to the same conclusion at the moment. Even if you look at the environmental angle. It would be better for me to use the additional money I'd spend changing cars into insulating and changing the heating in the house I'm about to buy.
I'm slightly tempted by the iX3 as it ticks all the same boxes as the petrol version, other than noise, acceleration and some of the toys. Although it's 2WD I guess that's only occasionally a requirement.
iX3

https://www.petervardy.com/bmw/offer...xoCl2sQAvD_BwE

Gone; F30 335dx, F30 330dx, F21 LCI 125d, F48 X1 20dx, F10 520d
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 05:52 AM   #139
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73henny View Post
https://www.john-clark.co.uk/bmw/new...s/ix3-premier/
Appreciate 1
73henny500.00
      09-17-2021, 06:15 AM   #140
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyamigo View Post
Is it just me that think the blue accents look naff and out of place?

Attachment 2698096
yes they do and if you order most folks would choose the delete option I'm sure.
      09-29-2021, 05:09 PM   #141
dbramley
320d M-Sport
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 320si

Quote:
Quite a bit OT, but on the subject of the LCI our local dealer has a Brooklyn Grey X3 M40i on show, with the black wheels and what looks like M-style wing mirrors. Have to say the LCI changes make it look slightly more aggressive & muscular. I particularly like the rear light clusters which look like the Covenant energy sword from Halo

This is one from across the pond, but defo looks the mutt's...

I’ve currently got an X3 and been debating about what’s next. That X3 LCI looks awesome, is all of that standard - I.e the rear light clusters? If so that seems a huge improvement in my eyes and could keep me with an X3.

I was also slightly swayed by a Tesla Model Y but looking on a UK Tesla Model Y Forum it seems quiet at the moment with no sign of any Model Ys getting delivered for at least the next year. Even in the US they seem to have a six month wait!

For me I’m thinking another ICE car next, then probably an EV.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 01:17 AM   #142
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbramley View Post
I was also slightly swayed by a Tesla Model Y but looking on a UK Tesla Model Y Forum it seems quiet at the moment with no sign of any Model Ys getting delivered for at least the next year. Even in the US they seem to have a six month wait!
If you have the cash for the performance version (£65kish before options), I would be very surprised if you couldn't be in one by end of Q1 2022. Tesla uses every trick in the book to push people to buy the more expensive versions of their cars, Performance Y delivery in the US is barely 1 months lead time, the difference between the Performance Y and LR Y is one motor and some software so has nothing to do with production constraints. However the profit margins on the Performance model is higher.

Back in 2016/17 Tesla made up all kind of excuses on why standard suspension cars were HARDER to produce than Air Suspension cars (a £3k option I seem to vaguely recall), it got to a point where they essentially refused to honor non air suspension orders and sent emails out to push people to tick the options box, they than just cancelled all non air suspension orders.
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2021, 05:31 AM   #143
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbramley View Post
I’ve currently got an X3 and been debating about what’s next. That X3 LCI looks awesome, is all of that standard - I.e the rear light clusters? If so that seems a huge improvement in my eyes and could keep me with an X3.

For me I’m thinking another ICE car next, then probably an EV.
Yes, all standard, though the wheels are US-spec not UK. Here we get the black version of the 699M's
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 10:49 AM   #144
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW I01 i3S & Jaguar I-Pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
If you have the cash for the performance version (£65kish before options), I would be very surprised if you couldn't be in one by end of Q1 2022. Tesla uses every trick in the book to push people to buy the more expensive versions of their cars, Performance Y delivery in the US is barely 1 months lead time, the difference between the Performance Y and LR Y is one motor and some software so has nothing to do with production constraints. However the profit margins on the Performance model is higher.

Back in 2016/17 Tesla made up all kind of excuses on why standard suspension cars were HARDER to produce than Air Suspension cars (a £3k option I seem to vaguely recall), it got to a point where they essentially refused to honor non air suspension orders and sent emails out to push people to tick the options box, they than just cancelled all non air suspension orders.
Tesla won't even tell you when the model Y will be available in the UK, much less let you order one!

I was interested, but I couldn't wait forever. Original rumours were this year, now next year. Wouldn't be surprised if it slips again.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 02:21 PM   #145
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMcC View Post

Tesla won't even tell you when the model Y will be available in the UK, much less let you order one!

I was interested, but I couldn't wait forever. Original rumours were this year, now next year. Wouldn't be surprised if it slips again.
Tesla model Y for EU/UK are supposed to be assembled in Gigafactory Berlin/ Brandenberg, which is about 3 months behind schedule. Probably safe to add 6 months on to planned availability.

American cars built in Germany and German cars built in Mexico. What's the world coming to?
Appreciate 1
C320340.50
      09-30-2021, 04:04 PM   #146
Hanchurch
Captain
Rep
Drives: tesla model 3 performance

I've had my Model 3 Performance for 3 months, coming from a 335d and S4 before that. I'm very happy with it and had no build quality issues. It's a June 2021 China build.
Attached Images

Past - Mini Cooper S 7 5 door, BMW 120d m sport, Saab 9-3 2.8 V6 turbo, Mazda RX8 231, Mini Cooper S
Appreciate 2
C320340.50
JustChris17483.00
      10-14-2021, 04:25 PM   #147
Nibbles
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

I went to the local EV6 launch tonight. For a handy comparison, I went in my brother's iPace. We were both very impressed with the EV6, it seems well built and more spacious inside than the iPace. This might be more to do with a better design and use of space in the EV6 as well as the flat floor than actual square footage. I'm 6'5 and he's 6'7 and when sitting in the front with the seats as far back and low as possible we still got two adults behind us in the back seats with was quite impressive.
The dash screens are big and clear and the infotainment system seems simple to use and responsive. I didn't hate the touch screen and lack of physical buttons as much as I thought I would.
Overall we both agreed it's as good if not better than the iPace and seems better value.
I'll book a test drive next week to see how it drives. The only issue I can see is the lack of boot space compared to the G31.
Appreciate 2
G50932.00
      10-15-2021, 12:23 AM   #148
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31

Quote:
I went to the local EV6 launch tonight. For a handy comparison, I went in my brother's iPace. We were both very impressed with the EV6, it seems well built and more spacious inside than the iPace. This might be more to do with a better design and use of space in the EV6 as well as the flat floor than actual square footage. I'm 6'5 and he's 6'7 and when sitting in the front with the seats as far back and low as possible we still got two adults behind us in the back seats with was quite impressive.
The dash screens are big and clear and the infotainment system seems simple to use and responsive. I didn't hate the touch screen and lack of physical buttons as much as I thought I would.
Overall we both agreed it's as good if not better than the iPace and seems better value.
I'll book a test drive next week to see how it drives. The only issue I can see is the lack of boot space compared to the G31.
So did it not feel like a downgrade interior wise after the G31?
Would you not miss the noise and that 500+ mile range on long runs down to France?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 12:40 AM   #149
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Interesting review. Boot space is my concern for the EV6 (pretty much every EV) too.

If you're interested, a dealer with around 50 cars incoming in November posted 48 month PCP deals on another forum. Let me know if you want me to pm the link. No discount afaik, but availability and more than Kia's standard 37 month max make it interesting.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      10-15-2021, 04:34 AM   #150
Nibbles
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by G50 View Post
So did it not feel like a downgrade interior wise after the G31?
Would you not miss the noise and that 500+ mile range on long runs down to France?
The interior was nice enough that I don't think I'd see it as too much of a downgrade. I'll defer answering that fully until I've had a test drive and worked out if the seats are as comfy.
The trips to France and the general use of throwing anything I can think of into the boot to take to the tip are probably the only times I can think that I'd really miss the space but with a towbar on the back and roof box I think we could cope. Range I'm not worried about as on long trips the stops we make are generally for longer so waiting for charging isn't a big deal. Other than that we rarely would do 200 miles+ in a day.

In some ways, I think I'd miss the noise but in others, there is something nice about the silent acceleration of an EV in the iPace and Tesla's I've been in.

MashinBenzin a link to the PCP deals would be handy please, although I think I'd go for the GT which pricing isn't finalised for according to the dealer, the 58k may change later next year.
Appreciate 1
G50932.00
      10-15-2021, 05:42 AM   #151
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Do not want start new thread, will ask here.
Did any one noticed when you drive past electric car it interfere with phone call via bluetooth or radio in car?
Normally it was noticeable with foreign lorries when they had CB radio.
Last few week I'm passing same Jag i-pace and always interfere with radio signal or phone call via bluetooth, never noticed with other electric cars. There could be a problem with that particular car.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 05:50 AM   #152
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Not since the Vauxhall Cavalier does anything shout 'Company Car Driver' quite like a white Model 3

I am sure the hideous things are breeding round here
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 06:35 AM   #153
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
Not since the Vauxhall Cavalier does anything shout 'Company Car Driver' quite like a white Model 3

I am sure that you post to wind up but as its friday I will bite...

If my company offered me the chance of a Model 3 for a BIK of 1% I would be all over it. So rather than look down your nose (as you do with most things) maybe you should look and think "they had the sense to avoid some income tax, maybe I should have been that bright..."

You've done well, no doubt that was a combination of hard work and good luck, some people dont have the same luck....
Appreciate 2
JustChris17483.00
      10-15-2021, 08:46 AM   #154
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post

Or midnight silver grey whatever as the next inoffensive (but chargeable) colour.
Appreciate 0