F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Jaguar I-Pace
GetBMWParts

09-10-2021, 08:19 AM   #1
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW I01 i3S & Jaguar I-Pace

Jaguar I-Pace

Just given back a Jaguar I-Pace HSE demonstrator which I had for just over 24 hours. We're considering this car along with the Audi E-Tron 55 to replace our BMW 530d Touring as our new family car (which will make our driveway entirely EV). If you're interested, read on for a brief and unprofessional review.

Driving
I haven't owned a particularly fantastic set of cars in the handling front. BMW 1, 4, 5 series, and i3. Mercedes C class. I was expecting the Jaguar to be similar to the 5 series as it's a similar size and weight, but it completely blew me away on the handling front. Turns beautifully into corners, and feels like it could take pretty much anything you throw at it. This was on standard coils and 20" wheels. I'd like to say more, but I'm really not a good enough driver to describe it properly!

The twin motors produce 394bhp, and 696NM of torque. This propels the car up to 60mph in under 5s and reminded me a lot of my old sports bikes in that it's sufficient power that you never really open the taps all the way and can very easily rocket past your intended speed if you're not paying attention or using the limiter. More than enough for me in a family car, and to be honest I'd probably get the less powerful '320' version if they offered that in the UK.

Range
Drove about 200 miles in total over a mixture of motorway (at 'usual' speeds), and B roads. The marketing claims 271 miles of range with the wheels it had, and the car's range estimate when fully charged was 243 miles. This provided very accurate in my usage, with the car at 63% after the first day and 90 miles of driving. For me 200+ is just fine, so this is more than enough range for us.

Practicality
The 'froot' (front boot under the bonnet) is pretty tiny, but big enough to carry the 3-pin charger and other small stuff like screenwash. The boot claims to be bigger than the 5 touring in litres, but in practically it isn't quite as good (although nearly). I packed the boot with the cases and stuff we typically take on holiday as a family of 4 (kids 5 and 2), and it swallowed everything just fine. Equally was happy to take 2 bags of golf clubs, and the 2.4m timber we sometimes carry - although in that case you need to rest the end of it on the driver's armrest, the 5 touring is the same but with a couple of cm less intrusion.

Comfort
Better than the 5 series, which is on M-Sport springs and air suspension at the back. The 5 series somehow feels like a more special place to sit in terms of materials, but the Jaguar is plusher and more comfortable. This is clearly a contradiction, but my wife and I agree and can't find a better way to describe it. Oh, and the leather actually smells of new leather, whereas BMW's standard leather never does.

Infotainment
Overall not as good as the BMW system, although it is better in some areas. Much of a muchness really, I'm sure the complexity of the Jaguar system will vanish after a while just as the complexity of I-Drive did all those years ago.

I think this is probably the car for us. The E-Tron demo should be next week if Audi pull their finger out, although they do seem disinterested in selling it to me. Given the additional cost of the E-Tron I'm struggling to see why I'd order it over the I-Pace, but perhaps this will become clear once I drive it.

Anything else anyone wants to know?

Anything anyone wants to know about it?
Appreciate 10
mcoops1757.00
isleaiw18763.50
JustChris17487.50
Rbrown2765.50
Scoobyd1954.50
Grant_72020.50
Tengocity8566.00
      09-10-2021, 08:32 AM   #2
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Great right up thanks. My brothers boss has just bought one and says similar...

I think the bit where the I Pace is being left behind due to age is speed of charging and how quickly you can top up if needed on a journey. That matters to me as my regular weekend away back home is about 300 miles including a bit of running around when I am there - so a top up at a public charger is likely required....

the 0% APR now is very appealing too.

What spec are you looking at?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 08:43 AM   #3
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Great right up thanks. My brothers boss has just bought one and says similar...

I think the bit where the I Pace is being left behind due to age is speed of charging and how quickly you can top up if needed on a journey. That matters to me as my regular weekend away back home is about 300 miles including a bit of running around when I am there - so a top up at a public charger is likely required....

the 0% APR now is very appealing too.

What spec are you looking at?
Yes, 45 minutes on a charger on a journey feels like a long time. Although I checked Google Maps from our last service station visit with the kids (who needed fuel, the car didn't) and we were there for 48 minutes. The only other car we're interested in is the E-Tron and that'll charge in 26 minutes, but I wasn't sure I wanted to pay an extra 200-300 a month to save 20 minutes - especially as this is only a best case if you can find a 150kW charger. If you're on a 50kW charger the I-Pace is quicker as it's more efficient and thus has a smaller battery (for more range!).

For your use it'd be OK if you could combine it with a meal (there are some good gastropubs with chargers!). Although 300 miles is not that much over 240, so it isn't like you'd need to wait 45 minutes for a charge, just enough to get back home. It'd be back up over 50% in 20-30 minutes which would give you 120 extra.

0% APR and £4k deposit contribution at the moment, so yes quite appealing.

Looking at the 'Black HSE' in Portifino Blue with silver 20" wheels, with barely any options on top as it's well provisioned already.
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18763.50
      09-10-2021, 08:50 AM   #4
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMcC View Post
Yes, 45 minutes on a charger on a journey feels like a long time. Although I checked Google Maps from our last service station visit with the kids (who needed fuel, the car didn't) and we were there for 48 minutes. The only other car we're interested in is the E-Tron and that'll charge in 26 minutes, but I wasn't sure I wanted to pay an extra 200-300 a month to save 20 minutes - especially as this is only a best case if you can find a 150kW charger. If you're on a 50kW charger the I-Pace is quicker as it's more efficient and thus has a smaller battery (for more range!).

For your use it'd be OK if you could combine it with a meal (there are some good gastropubs with chargers!). Although 300 miles is not that much over 240, so it isn't like you'd need to wait 45 minutes for a charge, just enough to get back home. It'd be back up over 50% in 20-30 minutes which would give you 120 extra.

0% APR and £4k deposit contribution at the moment, so yes quite appealing.

Looking at the 'Black HSE' in Portifino Blue with silver 20" wheels, with barely any options on top as it's well provisioned already.
There arent many gastropubs by the M1 but yes, a 20 min stop to stretch the dogs legs and mine and check my emails would be fine, to be honest I do that most weeks anyway as it gets busy and boring south of northampton....

Sounds a great spec and as you say, one of the few cars you can get a deal on at the moment and that they have stock of.....

I do like the 22s to look at but would hate the tyre prices!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 08:57 AM   #5
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
There arent many gastropubs by the M1 but yes, a 20 min stop to stretch the dogs legs and mine and check my emails would be fine, to be honest I do that most weeks anyway as it gets busy and boring south of northampton....

Sounds a great spec and as you say, one of the few cars you can get a deal on at the moment and that they have stock of.....

I do like the 22s to look at but would hate the tyre prices!
Yes. Agonised over the 22s as I agree they look good. But they're quite pricey (£2k), and prereq air suspension (£1k), *and* reduce the official range by 20 miles. Decided I was happy with the 20s
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18763.50
      09-10-2021, 09:03 AM   #6
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yes. Agonised over the 22s as I agree they look good. But they're quite pricey (£2k), and prereq air suspension (£1k), *and* reduce the official range by 20 miles. Decided I was happy with the 20s
Damn you, I've just built one... and got a finance quote.....

Any other discounts on top of the deposit contribution and 0% Apr? Even if I chuck in the extra deposit I'd get if I sold the Audi now over what I put in when I bought it, it still comes out more expensive than the Audi was when I had it.....

But I did spec to 80k!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 09:07 AM   #7
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Any other discounts on top of the deposit contribution and 0% Apr? Even if I chuck in the extra deposit I'd get if I sold the Audi now over what I put in when I bought it, it still comes out more expensive than the Audi was when I had it.....

But I did spec to 80k!
Not really, no. Seemingly can only get a dealer to knock off a few hundred extra pounds. Let me know if you manager to get more off one!

Don't forget to factor in fuel savings. You'll spend around 10% on electricity of what'd you'd spend on fuel. Also only needs to be serviced once every 2 years for ~£250, and is of course VED exempt.

So much more scope for man maths with an EV...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 09:09 AM   #8
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Not really, no. Seemingly can only get a dealer to knock off a few hundred extra pounds. Let me know if you manager to get more off one!

Don't forget to factor in fuel savings. You'll spend around 10% on electricity of what'd you'd spend on fuel. Also only needs to be serviced once every 2 years for ~£250, and is of course VED exempt.

SIL works for Inchcape, I'll ask him....

I dont spend much on fuel as I dont do many miles and I dont need many services as I dont do many miles....
Appreciate 1
TimMcC502.50
      09-10-2021, 09:37 AM   #9
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Quote:

But I did spec to 80k!

My drive the deal quote on a HSE indicated 7k off a £70k spec. No idea If in stock though.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 2
isleaiw18763.50
TimMcC502.50
      09-10-2021, 10:22 AM   #10
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

The range on E Trons is reported to be quite poor so they may charge quicker but not go as far as the Jaguar.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 10:24 AM   #11
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Great write up. 200 mile cars though not for me and mire 2nd car territory but ETTO and its a handsome looking thing for sure.
      09-10-2021, 11:00 AM   #12
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
The range on E Trons is reported to be quite poor so they may charge quicker but not go as far as the Jaguar.
This is a recurring theme whenever I've seen anyone talking about E-Tron
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 01:51 AM   #13
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB118D View Post
This is a recurring theme whenever I've seen anyone talking about E-Tron
Yep wouldn’t be like the VW/Audi Group to tell a lie of two in their figures now would it ……
Appreciate 3
JustChris17487.50
DB118D1026.00
1 AKY459.00
      09-11-2021, 02:32 AM   #14
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
Yep wouldn’t be like the VW/Audi Group to tell a lie of two in their figures now would it ……
I think in this case, even the quoted figures aren't that great. I know I was surprised when I looked at it. It's a lot of money for a car that is almost a run about
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 02:35 AM   #15
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

The I-Pace is a very well screwed together car (built in Austria).

I've not driven one, but passengered with a close friend who's judgement I trust. He raved about it, and I was very impressed by the pax ride; very quiet and refined (much more so than my Tesla).

However the efficiency is poor. Circa 250 miles from 90kWh battery pack is not great. But that point can soon be overcome with a little man-maths (how much cheaper it will be than an ICE, etc).
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 2
isleaiw18763.50
      09-11-2021, 03:30 AM   #16
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_7 View Post
The I-Pace is a very well screwed together car (built in Austria).

I've not driven one, but passengered with a close friend who's judgement I trust. He raved about it, and I was very impressed by the pax ride; very quiet and refined (much more so than my Tesla).

However the efficiency is poor. Circa 250 miles from 90kWh battery pack is not great. But that point can soon be overcome with a little man-maths (how much cheaper it will be than an ICE, etc).
And I think therein lies my conundrum. I reckon the I Pace is right up my street (and I've never had a Jag so another of those pesky boxes ticked) but well, its not a Tesla when it comes to efficiency and charging. But a Model Y wont be a Jag when it comes to ride and refinement.

And an etron will be just like my current Audi except in all the things that make it really rather special...
Appreciate 1
Grant_72020.50
      09-11-2021, 04:10 AM   #17
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
200 mile cars though not for me and mire 2nd car territory but ETTO.
I think that's where I am with it as well. Historically I wouldn't have looked at an ICE car with a range of less than 250 miles so an EV which is only capable of around that - and which is less easy to charge when you're about and about than an ICE car is to refuel - doesn't seem especially attractive.

However, if most of your mileage is relatively short runs and you can charge at home it becomes a different matter. Being honest as a household we now have very few days where either of us are doing round trips of over 200 miles and, as we can easily charge at home, it would probably make sense for at least one of our two cars to be an EV. Mrs JNW1's Cooper S will be due replacement before mine and I can see her new car being our first EV - not for a couple of years though and hopefully by then there will be a better choice of EV's available at more affordable prices!
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      09-11-2021, 06:33 AM   #18
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

So what kind of monthly payments are they working out to be with the 0% APR?

Always liked the look of them, and by all accounts it is the most enjoyable drive of all the mid sized BEV crossovers. Also, looks like one of the more dog friendly boots in the class too.

As a 3 car household it does feel like one of these would be well justified.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 07:30 AM   #19
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post

Always liked the look of them, and by all accounts it is the most enjoyable drive of all the mid sized BEV crossovers. Also, looks like one of the more dog friendly boots in the class too.

Rockar online have £17k in and £415 per month. For a £67k list Black. Which is a decent saving over the car with £17k equity in it. Hmmm.

Appreciate 1
Tengocity8566.00
      09-11-2021, 08:45 AM   #20
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Quote:

Rockar online have £17k in and £415 per month. For a £67k list Black. Which is a decent saving over the car with £17k equity in it. Hmmm.
Wow they are big big figures. 🤯
      09-11-2021, 09:12 AM   #21
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Wow they are big big figures. 🤯
Happened to be in a dealership half an hour ago and they are a nice place to be inside. Can definitely see the appeal.

Iirc those figures were with a £5k discount and £30k balloon. Can't remember if it's £67k before or after the discount.

ETA. Double checked and it's almost £73k list and £67.7k after discount. From the same manufacturer (ish), my D5 was £78k list and £15k in/£573 per month. Think the iPace deal is pretty good.

Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      09-13-2021, 12:55 PM   #22
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
My drive the deal quote on a HSE indicated 7k off a £70k spec. No idea If in stock though.
Thanks for this, been offered 10% off a factory order. Not taken the deal yet but expect I will before the week is out!
Appreciate 1