F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Jaguar I-Pace
ARMA SPEED

09-13-2021, 01:27 PM   #23
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMcC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
My drive the deal quote on a HSE indicated 7k off a £70k spec. No idea If in stock though.
Thanks for this, been offered 10% off a factory order. Not taken the deal yet but expect I will before the week is out!
You're welcome! Cracking deal in today's market. Sitting in one the other day, it feels pretty good value at that price - premium feel, electric, decent size.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
TimMcC502.50
      09-13-2021, 02:00 PM   #24
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Quote:
My drive the deal quote on a HSE indicated 7k off a £70k spec. No idea If in stock though.
Thanks for this, been offered 10% off a factory order. Not taken the deal yet but expect I will before the week is out!
Have you done a last minute carwow to check if it's a good deal? I was ok with my FType deal but ran Caroww and saw 15% was possible and just raised my preferred dealer if they could match it. Sure you have but just asking
      09-13-2021, 02:13 PM   #25
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW I01 i3S & Jaguar I-Pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Have you done a last minute carwow to check if it's a good deal? I was ok with my FType deal but ran Caroww and saw 15% was possible and just raised my preferred dealer if they could match it. Sure you have but just asking
Yes, CarWow was a lot higher than Drive the Deal. Autoebid got close, but not quite as good.

Giving the dealer an opportunity to match it, as they did lend me the car for 24 hours. Their initial offer was higher than the figure the configurator gives you, so don't feel too bad for them
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      09-13-2021, 03:26 PM   #26
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_7 View Post
The I-Pace is a very well screwed together car (built in Austria).

I've not driven one, but passengered with a close friend who's judgement I trust. He raved about it, and I was very impressed by the pax ride; very quiet and refined (much more so than my Tesla).

However the efficiency is poor. Circa 250 miles from 90kWh battery pack is not great. But that point can soon be overcome with a little man-maths (how much cheaper it will be than an ICE, etc).
250 miles from 90kWh is poor but the eTron is dreadful.

For comparison, from the manufacturer's websites :

eTron 50 : 71kWh / 175 miles (!!!)
iPace : 90kWh / 252 miles combined use
Tesla Y LR : 75kWh / 314 miles
KIA EV6 AWD : 77.4 kWh / 314 miles
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2021, 12:15 AM   #27
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post

You are not going to get any where near 300 miles of range out of a Model Y at M way speeds, 250 miles is much more realistic.

Equally I cannot see how a Kia EV6 can do 314 miles when the Ionqi 5 which is basically the same car will just about do 200 miles at Mway speeds.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 12:17 AM   #28
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I would have thought you can get a bigger discount than that on an iPace? All the reports say there is loads of unsold stock. Its also the worst depreciating EV by far, 2 year old ones can be had for around £40k.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 04:45 AM   #29
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Quote:

You are not going to get any where near 300 miles of range out of a Model Y at M way speeds, 250 miles is much more realistic.

Equally I cannot see how a Kia EV6 can do 314 miles when the Ionqi 5 which is basically the same car will just about do 200 miles at Mway speeds.
Yes I assume we're all aware of that but what can you do for comparison other than quote the manufacturer specs? Have use some benchmark.
      09-14-2021, 05:01 AM   #30
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:

The Ioniq 5 has a slightly smaller battery at 73Kwh vs the EV6's 77.4Kwh, but I agree that the headline range is not representative of the actual real-world range at motorway speeds.

This is quite an interesting resource: https://ev-database.uk/car/1479/Hyun...Long-Range-AWD

Quotes the "real world" range of the Ioniq 5 as 210 miles (m'way, mild weather) the Model Y as an estimated 235 miles, and the EV6 estimate is 230 miles.

There's also the not inconsequential impact of aerodynamics & coefficient of drag

Attached Images

Appreciate 3
1 AKY459.00
Watsey6399.00
      09-14-2021, 05:13 AM   #31
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Generally speaking I'd have thought steady speed running at around the motorway limit is about as easy as it gets for efficiency (or at least that's the way it tends to work with ICE engines). Therefore, if a Model Y range is only at 250 miles for that sort of work what's it going to be like if you're on something like hilly A or B roads where you're wanting to make progress and potentially use the acceleration to get past slower moving vehicles - are we talking sub-200 miles in that scenario?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 06:41 AM   #32
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes I assume we're all aware of that but what can you do for comparison other than quote the manufacturer specs? Have use some benchmark.
This.

Total weight of he vehicle (i.e. number of occupants), wheel options, mix of driving, ambient temperature, etc, all have an effect.

Difficult to compare all vehicles oil the same basis. Manufacturer's published figures provide an indication, and perhaps are more accurate these days with the new test cycles.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 06:47 AM   #33
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Generally speaking I'd have thought steady speed running at around the motorway limit is about as easy as it gets for efficiency (or at least that's the way it tends to work with ICE engines).
EV motors have essentially 90%+ efficiency across the range, so going at 5mph versus 50mph is equally efficient. However the energy it takes to go at 50mph is massive versus 5mph.

So sustained running at 70mph+ drops EV range much quicker than at lower speeds purely because of the fact energy needed double for the same increase in speed.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 06:53 AM   #34
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
All I would say is some* manufactures have worked out how to game the official benchmarks to great effect, and its not the usual suspects .
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      09-14-2021, 09:14 AM   #35
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Generally speaking I'd have thought steady speed running at around the motorway limit is about as easy as it gets for efficiency (or at least that's the way it tends to work with ICE engines). Therefore, if a Model Y range is only at 250 miles for that sort of work what's it going to be like if you're on something like hilly A or B roads where you're wanting to make progress and potentially use the acceleration to get past slower moving vehicles - are we talking sub-200 miles in that scenario?
In my experience, an EV driving cross-country (A and B roads) will be more efficient than on the motorway.

Also, regarding hills, an EV can make full use of regeneration on the descents, which helps the overall journey average.
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2021, 11:04 AM   #36
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyamigo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_7 View Post
In my experience, an EV driving cross-country (A and B roads) will be more efficient than on the motorway.

Also, regarding hills, an EV can make full use of regeneration on the descents, which helps the overall journey average.
Would agree with this as you're generally averaging a much lower speed than on the motorway. You have no accelerating through the gears like an ICE and with regen you lift off on the corners and rarely ever need to use the physical brakes.
Thanks both although for those of us with no experience of an EV it does all make it a bit difficult to get a handle on what the real world range is likely to be! However, in practice I suppose it doesn't really matter too much if you don't do more than 200 miles a day and can recharge at home...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 05:48 AM   #37
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

In fairness, you're using the WLTP ranges for all these cars except the I-Pace. The WLTP for the I-Pace is 292 miles. You're also mixing battery sizes with usable battery sizes which you've quoted for the Kia. The usable size for each is:

e-Tron 50: 64.7 kWh
I-Pace: 84.7 kWh
Y LR: 70 kWh
EV6 AWD: 77.4 kWh

Some manufacturers quote usable in their marketing materials, most the full size.

Point still stands though, the I-Pace is not a particularly efficient EV vs the others. For me all that matters is the real range being over 200 miles, I can't think of a time I've ever chosen the most efficient car over all other concerns. To my eyes the I-Pace is the best looking, and has the nicest interior.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 05:50 AM   #38
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I would have thought you can get a bigger discount than that on an iPace? All the reports say there is loads of unsold stock. Its also the worst depreciating EV by far, 2 year old ones can be had for around £40k.
The GFV is £30k after 4 years. Might depend on the trim level. Not been able to find it for a better price anywhere, and have now signed the deal
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 06:05 AM   #39
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Quote:
The GFV is £30k after 4 years. Might depend on the trim level. Not been able to find it for a better price anywhere, and have now signed the deal
Good man! Same GFV as my Disco after 4 years. You'd like to think that the iPace, as one of the few larger EVs (and with a great interior as you say) will do pretty well on that basis.

When will it arrive? Stock or factory?

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
TimMcC502.50
      09-15-2021, 06:10 AM   #40
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Good man! Same GFV as my Disco after 4 years. You'd like to think that the iPace, as one of the few larger EVs (and with a great interior as you say) will do pretty well on that basis.

When will it arrive? Stock or factory?
Thanks! Factory order as we ended up ticking a lot of boxes, allegedly building next month with delivery in November.
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2021, 06:11 AM   #41
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
In fairness, you're using the WLTP ranges for all these cars except the I-Pace. The WLTP for the I-Pace is 292 miles. You're also mixing battery sizes with usable battery sizes which you've quoted for the Kia. The usable size for each is:

e-Tron 50: 64.7 kWh
I-Pace: 84.7 kWh
Y LR: 70 kWh
EV6 AWD: 77.4 kWh

Some manufacturers quote usable in their marketing materials, most the full size.

Point still stands though, the I-Pace is not a particularly efficient EV vs the others. For me all that matters is the real range being over 200 miles, I can't think of a time I've ever chosen the most efficient car over all other concerns. To my eyes the I-Pace is the best looking, and has the nicest interior.
I did grab the figures quickly - didn't spend too much on it !

To my eyes the adjusted figures just paint a worse picture - iPace has the largest usable battery, not the greatest range, and costs a lot more than the KIA. Looks are subjective, but I'd put the eTron / iPace / EV6 on par. The Tesla Y just looks awful.

Some manufacturers are desperate to be 'premium' (quality AND price) but in many cases the close competition makes it very difficult to achieve in the eyes of a lot of buyers.

Then you start looking at warranty periods...
Appreciate 2
TimMcC502.50
      09-15-2021, 06:16 AM   #42
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I did grab the figures quickly - didn't spend too much on it !

To my eyes the adjusted figures just paint a worse picture - iPace has the largest usable battery, not the greatest range, and costs a lot more than the KIA. Looks are subjective, but I'd put the eTron / iPace / EV6 on par. The Tesla Y just looks awful.

Some manufacturers are desperate to be 'premium' (quality AND price) but in many cases the close competition makes it very difficult to achieve in the eyes of a lot of buyers.

Then you start looking at warranty periods...
Totally agree. Horses for courses.

I was interested in the Kia EV6 until my wife shot that idea down in flames

Never got to sit in one as the demo isn't in the area until next month, but my main concern was the interior quality fit and feel vs Audi & Jaguar.
Appreciate 0