F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Mppsk mid-pipe clamp failure
ARMA SPEED

09-15-2021, 05:11 PM   #1
R$28i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i xDrive

Mppsk mid-pipe clamp failure

I have a 2018 440i GC X-Drive w/ MPPSK which I purchased with 15k miles back in May. Recently, there has been a rattle coming from the mid pipe on startup so I brought it in to be checked out and the mid pipe clamp corroded and failed causing the exhaust to sag and touch the frame.

BMW Fairfax is refusing to replace the clamp under my factory warranty because they cannot find any documentation that the exhaust was installed by BMW, despite the problem having nothing to do with installation and everything to do with shit hardware on a (clearly OEM) $3k exhaust system.

The technician even said to my face maybe someone swapped out the OEM clamp that comes with the kit and replaced it with a shitty one... total BS.

I've always been a huge proponent of this system despite the high cost due to the perceived benefit of BMW support in the event something goes wrong. Clearly I was wrong!

Can't imagine not honoring warranty on such an expensive system in this very clear case of hardware failure due to poor manufacturing standards.

I am hoping to appeal this to BMW. The repair cost was $279. Any advice would be appreciated. Mostly here to rant though and admit to the MPPSK haters they may be right because I doubt this would happen with Dinan etc.
2018 440i X-Dr GC LOADED MPPSK (Blk)

NY/DMV Based
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 05:55 PM   #2
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Well that just sucks!

Seems like complete BS that they wouldn't cover that under warranty though.

I'm 99.9% sure you can buy and install the MPPSK exhaust from the parts counter, and just need BMW to load the mapping.
Appreciate 1
R$28i60.50
      09-15-2021, 06:02 PM   #3
R$28i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Well that just sucks!

I'm 99.9% sure you can buy and install the MPPSK exhaust from the parts counter, and just need BMW to load the mapping.
Exactly!! Makes no sense. And it's not even like it seems like the exhaust is wrong or damaged. The clamp is just corroded!

NY/DMV Based
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 12:43 AM   #4
alpinweiss340
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340i

Buy a replacement clamp and diy?
Appreciate 2
R$28i60.50
dmanb2b2124.50
      09-16-2021, 03:13 AM   #5
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by R$28i View Post
I have a 2018 440i GC X-Drive w/ MPPSK which I purchased with 15k miles back in May. Recently, there has been a rattle coming from the mid pipe on startup so I brought it in to be checked out and the mid pipe clamp corroded and failed causing the exhaust to sag and touch the frame.
This is the first time I hear/read about such a problem with MPPSK. I am myself an MPPSK owner. How corroded is your exhaust system then? It cannot be that just the clamp corroded to that extend but your exhaust is fine? Maybe you live/park in a high-humidity environment (same as me actually, but no such problems yet)?

Quote:
BMW Fairfax is refusing to replace the clamp under my factory warranty because they cannot find any documentation that the exhaust was installed by BMW, despite the problem having nothing to do with installation and everything to do with shit hardware on a (clearly OEM) $3k exhaust system.
Unfortunately this is how it works... If the previous owner decided to save a few bucks by not installing it at BMW, he effectively voided any warranty that comes with it. You should remember - a system is a combination of the hardware and its installation. Unauthorised installation = invalid system.
I have almost been refused to have my MPPSK registered in the car approval, as it was installed by a BMW workshop in Germany, however my local roadworthiness authority claimed they have no oversight and control over workshops abroad (I am not in Germany), so in theory... it is not guaranteed that it was installed correctly, hence roadworthy.
Yes - complete BS - but same principle, just one step further. In my case though that could not be substantiated, as if the local authority does not recognise BMW's own quality assurance system, covering also their network of workshops around the world, they should not allow BMW vehicles on the roads at all...
In your case - you should be able to claim the money back from whoever sold you the car without declaring that the MPPSK is not installed by BMW and as such - not a warranty-covered item. It can get worse - turbo- or cat-converter- related failure and BMW rejecting to cover it under warranty, as "somebody unauthorised" installed a MPPSK system. Legally - they are entitled (if they prove the exhaust could have contributed or caused the failure).

Quote:
The technician even said to my face maybe someone swapped out the OEM clamp that comes with the kit and replaced it with a shitty one... total BS.
And he may as well be right! Can you prove this was not the case, especially since this is an isolated case? The installer may have used what he had handy. If it was installed by an approved workshop - that risk is, in theory at least, eliminated, due to quality assurance system and procedures to be followed. Or if it happened nevertheless - that's on BMW.

Quote:
I've always been a huge proponent of this system despite the high cost due to the perceived benefit of BMW support in the event something goes wrong. Clearly I was wrong!
You weren't. For now, this is an isolated case. And not a big deal, really.

Quote:
Can't imagine not honoring warranty on such an expensive system in this very clear case of hardware failure due to poor manufacturing standards.
It is a matter of principle. Don't get me wrong - I absolutely agree, they should have honoured it based on goodwill and I would have certainly expected them to do it, especially given the minor repair cost. But in principle - they are right.

Quote:
I am hoping to appeal this to BMW. The repair cost was $279. Any advice would be appreciated. Mostly here to rant though and admit to the MPPSK haters they may be right because I doubt this would happen with Dinan etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Well that just sucks!

Unfortunately what you "can" or think you "just need" has nothing to do with how it "shall" be done for someone to take responsibility, hence - warranty.
A BMW workshop would NEVER load the MPPSK mapping, if the system was not installed by them (or at least another authorised BMW workshop), for reasons mentioned above.
If it was me, I wouldn't do it either or I would offer to charge you for an installation inspection first to ensure compliance - for what I know, the system may have been modified, installed wrongly or on a cheap mid-pipe clamp...
Tomorrow you will come to me with a warranty request, since I enabled your MPPSK. But instead, you should go to whoever installed it for you and ask for warranty there... After all - you wanted it cheaper... You got it cheaper - you saved money from the BMW warranty. You simply cannot have the cake and eat it too...

Last edited by Skyhigh; 09-16-2021 at 06:26 AM..
Appreciate 2
R$28i60.50
CajunBMW1288.50
      09-16-2021, 07:05 AM   #6
Fliplegend
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435ix F33

A dealership doing regular dealership BS. I'm shocked. BMW of Fairfax is a joke.
R$28i60.50
dmanb2b2124.50
      09-16-2021, 08:59 AM   #7
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
A BMW workshop would NEVER load the MPPSK mapping, if the system was not installed by them (or at least another authorised BMW workshop), for reasons mentioned above.
Unless my dealership sold me a line of BS when I inquired about the MPPSK when it first came out, I could have taken the exhaust home to DIY, but would have had to bring the car back for the software to get loaded.

This was 5 years ago, so maybe I misunderstood, they misspoke, or I forgot.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 09:17 AM   #8
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Peculiar...
Doubtful that anyone would do that (why would they...? What is in it for them, except risk...).
At least in Germany or Europe in general, no authorised workshop would agree to that, as it is against all procedures and principles.

It's like hypothetically buying all the car components separately, building a complete BMW in your own garage and going to BMW to fix the issues with it under warranty thereafter, since the parts are all BMW Good luck
The assembly/installation, as well as the tools and personnel involved, all have to be approved, trained and under quality assurance for anyone to give warranty.
Makes sense to me, even if it looks silly in some cases.

In this case, given the negligible problem and low cost, I would have indeed expected goodwill. But there is hardly any legal ground to claim warranty, I fear...
      09-16-2021, 09:28 AM   #9
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

@R$28i

It would be interesting to see a photo of the condition which your MPPSK exhaust is in... a clamp, even a low quality one, does not corrode to the extent that it breaks over a night and out of nowhere... on a 2018 plate car!

I would be much more concerned about WHY this happened than about the cost for its repair.
Where do you park/keep your car?
      09-16-2021, 10:20 AM   #10
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

I can add that like others above I had the mppsk added to my 340. From my experience, BMW was very particular about the installation and the installed tune. I used the dealer and received numerous documents from them with the key codes and warranty info about this exhaust and tune. Apparently I was the first to get this done at my dealership. They were very excited but also very cautious about doing it right. To their credit I have had no issues in the 2 1/2 years with it on. As far as I can tell from looking under the car and during my washes and detailing, everything looks good and the exhaust is still very new looking. I am lucky that we have mostly warm hot and dry weather with occasional deluges of serious and torrential rains.

I am surprised that for good will they did not fix it since they can tell that it is original mppsk exhaust, especially if unmodified. My dealership always goes out of their way for me. But I have purchased multiple BMWs all from this dealership.

With that stated, I unfortunately think it is their right to not warranty something they believe was not installed by BMW.

Good luck and I hope you get this resolved. I still enjoy my 340 and the mppsk, as stated above, is great. Even the newish service advisor noticed the mppsk and the growl when he fired it up yesterday. He said it was one of the best sounding cars he has heard in a while (I am guessing he hasn't had too many M cars in recently). I had it in for a free oil change since it is still under warranty.

So I hope you can enjoy the 440 and that the mppsk adds to the fun of your car.
Appreciate 1
R$28i60.50
      09-16-2021, 10:32 AM   #11
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

^ Actually…. MPPSK sounds better than most M cars! No kidding! Has been recognised for that many times…
The only way to have an appreciably better sound is 2 more cylinders…. Or 6….
      09-20-2021, 11:07 AM   #12
R$28i
Private First Class
Rep

UPDATE: It turns out the exhaust was installed as part of the factory build option which i was able to confirm with the original dealer that sold the vehicle in 2017-18. They have now sent me their internal documents / build sheet showing the M exhaust as an original option.... I will be sharing this with BMW Fairfax as soon as i get their manager on the phone and presumably expect them to reimburse me. Amazing that they did not see this in on their end and I had to play detective to get this settled.... will update on reimbursement efforts

NY/DMV Based
Appreciate 1
CajunBMW1288.50
      09-20-2021, 12:04 PM   #13
Londoner
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i msport+ MPPSK

Sounds like very bad luck. I had exactly the same MPPSK clip go, BMW (in London) replaced free of charge. When I asked what the damage was they said the two year MPPSK warranty covered it.
Appreciate 1
R$28i60.50
      10-04-2021, 11:14 AM   #14
R$28i
Private First Class
Rep

UPDATE: They have agreed to refund the cost after quite some time spent facilitating contact between the VA dealership and the Canada dealership the car was ordered from.

I showed them the REX screenshot showing that the car was optioned from day 1 with the Canadian "M Performance II" package which includes what the US market refers to as the MPPSK.

Very happy that this was cleared up. I still have yet to receive the refund nearly a week later but remaining patient.

NY/DMV Based
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 12:32 PM   #15
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
UPDATE: They have agreed to refund the cost after quite some time spent facilitating contact between the VA dealership and the Canada dealership the car was ordered from.

I showed them the REX screenshot showing that the car was optioned from day 1 with the Canadian "M Performance II" package which includes what the US market refers to as the MPPSK.

Very happy that this was cleared up. I still have yet to receive the refund nearly a week later but remaining patient.
Great news!!!
Appreciate 1
R$28i60.50
      01-15-2022, 09:38 AM   #16
jnj2455
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i 6MT/RWD/MPPSK/2VF

Quote:

Thanks to Skyhigh for steering me to this.

@R$28i - was your rattling sporadic? Or pretty consistent? Mine has only made the sound once so far.

Mine was a dealer installed option, and there even is this little sticker, however faint, adhered to the underside of the bonnet stating dealer code. My BMW new car warranty is through 2023 so I'll ask them to check it out next time I bring it in if the issue doesn't come back up again.
Appreciate 1
R$28i60.50
      01-15-2022, 09:51 AM   #17
R$28i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnj2455 View Post
Quote:

@R$28i - was your rattling sporadic? Or pretty consistent? Mine has only made the sound once so far.

Mine was a dealer installed option, and there even is this little sticker, however faint, adhered to the underside of the bonnet stating dealer code. My BMW new car warranty is through 2023 so I'll ask them to check it out next time I bring it in if the issue doesn't come back up again.

It was only at startup especially worse when cold. In retrospect due to the midpipe touching a piece of the frame due to sagging from the failed clamp. Once warm it didn't make any noise presumably because it expanded and was snug against the frame. I'm sure the dealer will be able to tell if this is the case / you could probably tell just by looking under the car to see if the midpipe is sagging. If not that I would guess it's a failed valve in the muffler. Regardless they should cover it under warranty!

NY/DMV Based
Appreciate 1
jnj2455364.50
      01-15-2022, 10:13 AM   #18
jnj2455
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It was only at startup especially worse when cold. In retrospect due to the midpipe touching a piece of the frame due to sagging from the failed clamp. Once warm it didn't make any noise presumably because it expanded and was snug against the frame. I'm sure the dealer will be able to tell if this is the case / you could probably tell just by looking under the car to see if the midpipe is sagging. If not that I would guess it's a failed valve in the muffler. Regardless they should cover it under warranty!
I don't think this is sagging? Was yours noticeable? No noise as of this cold start photo lol

[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 10:18 AM   #19
R$28i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't think this is sagging? Was yours noticeable? No noise as of this cold start photo lol

[IMG][/IMG]
Looks like you aren't touching the frame piece where I was so I'd say you're good on that front. Also if no rattle on startup I'd say definitely fine. My guess is probably the valves in the muffler that switch between comfort / sport.
Attached Images

NY/DMV Based
Appreciate 1
jnj2455364.50
      01-17-2022, 05:34 AM   #20
Alvin Mpower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

I had this issue when I get my CTS turbo downpipe installed by a shop. I thought they didn't clamp it back on correctly but they said the system wasn't installed correctly, but the shop fixed it anyway. This is one year after I installed my MPPSK.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 06:59 PM   #21
jnj2455
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Apologies, can someone point to where it would be touching? I've been working on my father's car so I've kept my car parked outside the last 3 days. Temps have been fluctuating between 35-50oF and so this morning was the first time i heard the rattle after having driven it 8 miles to the gym and returning to it 1.5 hours later.

Crawled under tonight to really look at it, nothing seems obviously loose or touching. Loads of pictures below:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 07:01 PM   #22
R$28i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Apologies, can someone point to where it would be touching? I've been working on my father's car so I've kept my car parked outside the last 3 days. Temps have been fluctuating between 35-50oF and so this morning was the first time i heard the rattle after having driven it 8 miles to the gym and returning to it 1.5 hours later.

Crawled under tonight to really look at it, nothing seems obviously loose or touching. Loads of pictures below:
Right at the midpipe clamp in my case. Yours looks fine so maybe your actual valves malfunctioned

NY/DMV Based
Appreciate 0