F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Washer fluid tank removal query
Extreme Powerhouse

09-16-2021, 02:26 PM   #1
David249
Registered
Rep
Drives: F32 420D

Washer fluid tank removal query

Hi all,

I've recently had an issue with my washer jets essentially dribbling. After doing research (loitering in the shadows of this forum, thanks by the way) and troubleshooting including an interim fix also noted on here that only worked for a day, I've come to the conclusion that it is indeed the plastic filter on pump that's got gummed up (some of the algae came back up the top up/inbound pipe when doing the interim fix).

I've set about trying to use the information on the forums and further a field, but I can't get the fluid tank to come out of the wing no matter how much force I use. The tank is loose at the top after undoing the screw attaching it to the top of the inside of the wheel arch, as well as removing the screw tack for the actual fluid top up cylinder (for pouring actual washer fluid in) in the engine bay, it appears to be just stuck on the plastic L shape bit that goes into the wing metal work as per the picture below.
I've even tried using a trim tool and tapping it with a rubber mallet on the L shape bit. I've only seen one video of someone removing the tank (bad angle and you only see the mechanics back) and multiple descriptions on threads suggest that it should just pull free in like a clockwise motion?

Am I missing something simple here or can someone please give assistance?

Also on a 4 series do you know if you need to remove the plastic vent like bit (black plastic on left of pic with screw hole for the arch liner) that is attached to the wheel arch (that flows to the Air vent on the wing) to get enough space to remove it?

Hopefully if there's an answer then if someone in the future looks, they can find the answer as my googlefu skills have struggled with the above.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 04:28 PM   #2
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

See attached PDF. Note the 'necessary prelim tasks'...i.e. remove r-front wheel arch cover.

Good luck/Bill
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2021, 02:48 PM   #3
David249
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
See attached PDF. Note the 'necessary prelim tasks'...i.e. remove r-front wheel arch cover.

Good luck/Bill
Thanks for that, the PDF is not one that I've seen before and reinforces that it should just rotate clockwise out after undoing the one bolt, but I wasn't able to get it to do that when I tried the other night, and that was after removing the wheel arch cover/liner to get at it. I'll have another go at it on Sunday.

Any chance you have a copy of the PDF for the Preliminary task "Remove front right wheel arch cover" that you highlighted that you could share as well please?
As it may show how the vent thing/bit on the left of my picture above is removed, if it even needs to be.
Of course the tarted up coupe with side vents has to be more difficult than a standard saloon. Ha.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 02:55 PM   #4
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David249 View Post
Thanks for that, the PDF is not one that I've seen before and reinforces that it should just rotate clockwise out after undoing the one bolt, but I wasn't able to get it to do that when I tried the other night, and that was after removing the wheel arch cover/liner to get at it. I'll have another go at it on Sunday.

Any chance you have a copy of the PDF for the Preliminary task "Remove front right wheel arch cover" that you highlighted that you could share as well please?
As it may show how the vent thing/bit on the left of my picture above is removed, if it even needs to be.
Of course the tarted up coupe with side vents has to be more difficult than a standard saloon. Ha.
Not much detail here....btw, these doc's are from the BMW TIS (Technical Information System....the standard reference used by BMW technicians at a Dealership)
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2021, 03:26 PM   #5
David249
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Not much detail here....btw, these doc's are from the BMW TIS (Technical Information System....the standard reference used by BMW technicians at a Dealership)
Thanks again, by that PDF its connected by expanding rivets so they are removable. At least being on the front wing/wheel arch, I won't lose one like I lost one of the ones into the engine bay the other night off of the rubber strip along the edge of that wing near the fluid tank top up bit as I was trying to find a way to see if I was missing a clip on the washer tank.

Yeah, I could see they were from newTIS, I tried finding an archived copy of newtis earlier before asking you again as they look like a really handy lot of documentation to help with any future work needed, shame BMW got them taken down and added the subscription cost.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 03:49 PM   #6
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I've still got access to the site, it's up….they are running low under the radar- need an invite to get in back few months ago.
Appreciate 0