F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > F30 8.8 or 10.2 Screen Upgrade with Carplay
GetBMWParts

01-16-2019, 03:59 AM   #1
ajaysmind
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30

F30 8.8 or 10.2 Screen Upgrade with Carplay

Hi, Im a bit of a noob at all the mods and retrofits and all for my F30 so apologies if I sound dumb or uneducated lol. I have the small screen on my 2015 328i xDrive F30 with no navigation. I wanted to upgrade the screen to a bigger, cleaner looking one and was very confused by the whole process. I saw the 10.2 screen said something about android, so is it only worth getting for an android?

My main goal is to get a larger screen, and if possible, get Apple Carplay on it. Can anybody help me out with the process or what to buy and where? Also, apologies if I'm posting in the wrong area or if this has been asked already.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 04:51 AM   #2
mike78
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d M-Sport (2013)

buy ugode android screen with ugode carplay adapter from alibaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaysmind View Post
Hi, Im a bit of a noob at all the mods and retrofits and all for my F30 so apologies if I sound dumb or uneducated lol. I have the small screen on my 2015 328i xDrive F30 with no navigation. I wanted to upgrade the screen to a bigger, cleaner looking one and was very confused by the whole process. I saw the 10.2 screen said something about android, so is it only worth getting for an android?

My main goal is to get a larger screen, and if possible, get Apple Carplay on it. Can anybody help me out with the process or what to buy and where? Also, apologies if I'm posting in the wrong area or if this has been asked already.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 05:15 AM   #3
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330eX

Depends on your budget - those Android screens are cheap, but they tend to have bugs and often don't work properly.

I'd also check out BimmerTech's CarPlay solution for having CarPlay on your 6.5" screen.

If you also want a larger screen, you can get an OEM one from eBay for $300 and code it yourself (or get someone to do it). Or you can buy BimmerTech's VividScreen (they'll do the coding for you remotely).
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 03:50 PM   #4
ajaysmind
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoSK View Post
Depends on your budget - those Android screens are cheap, but they tend to have bugs and often don't work properly.

I'd also check out BimmerTech's CarPlay solution for having CarPlay on your 6.5" screen.

If you also want a larger screen, you can get an OEM one from eBay for $300 and code it yourself (or get someone to do it). Or you can buy BimmerTech's VividScreen (they'll do the coding for you remotely).

I like the idea of buying the 8.8" screen for $300, but then is there a way for carplay to be added on that? Also I'm not sure how all the coding works but if i have no navigation, is my car considered ENTRY, not ENTRYNAV?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 09:52 PM   #5
drivef30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' 340i xDrive M-Sport

I have a ugode for sale, let me know. Check my posts or on members classified->Navigation.

You can add carplay but its like a 400-500box in addition to the screen
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 04:11 AM   #6
ajaysmind
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivef30 View Post
I have a ugode for sale, let me know. Check my posts or on members classified->Navigation.

You can add carplay but its like a 400-500box in addition to the screen
Was about to buy yours but it sold ):
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 07:12 PM   #7
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaysmind View Post
I like the idea of buying the 8.8" screen for $300, but then is there a way for carplay to be added on that? Also I'm not sure how all the coding works but if i have no navigation, is my car considered ENTRY, not ENTRYNAV?
No, even if you don't have navigation, you should have the ENTRYNAV unit it your car. It just comes with (business) navigation disabled and no GPS.

The only way you can add CarPlay is by buying an aftermarket MMI unit, which you connect between the screen and the head unit. It gives you a number of standard inputs (HDMI, composite, aftermarket rear camera, front camera, etc.) into which you connect (for example) a CarPlay unit.

Often the MMI unit + CarPlay unit come as one "box" nowadays.
Appreciate 0