F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > cic to nbt upgrade
Extreme Powerhouse

05-12-2017, 03:52 AM   #1
timk123
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 f30 335i msport

cic to nbt upgrade

I've been searching but nothing clear has been showed up except going full retrofit from nothing.
Rather I already have cic system, and wants to upgrade to nbt. mine comes with HUD, was wondering if those bimmertech nbt retrofit will sync up with my current display and hud.

anyone has done cic to nbt upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #2
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by timk123 View Post
I've been searching but nothing clear has been showed up except going full retrofit from nothing.
Rather I already have cic system, and wants to upgrade to nbt. mine comes with HUD, was wondering if those bimmertech nbt retrofit will sync up with my current display and hud.

anyone has done cic to nbt upgrade?
We've done a few.

Depending on what kind of sound system you have, you may need to do a direct wire jump over to the fuse. HUD will work fine as long it's coded correctly. If you have a backup camera, you will need to change the pinout on your quad lock to work with NBT.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2017, 02:34 PM   #3
timk123
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmercoders View Post
We've done a few.

Depending on what kind of sound system you have, you may need to do a direct wire jump over to the fuse. HUD will work fine as long it's coded correctly. If you have a backup camera, you will need to change the pinout on your quad lock to work with NBT.
I have stock (non-harman) sound system.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 02:38 PM   #4
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You're going to need to take the amp trigger wire and tap it to the fuse because the NBT is not going to know how to turn on the amp. Also, you'll need a new USB and Bluetooth Antenna as those are currently connected to the Combox. Also note that your AM/FM antenna wires are different so you will lose AM radio.

Once you disable the combox, you'll also have to terminate the most loop so that DTC messages and Service Internals can show up properly on the instrument cluster. Also, your microphone will need to be disconnected and you'll need to run it to pins 17 and 22 on the quad lock as that too also goes to the combox currently.

We usually don't recommend this retrofit due to the amount of work involved. HU_ENTRY to NBT is much easier as HU_ENTRY is wired exactly like an NBT due to the combox not being present.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 05:54 PM   #5
timk123
Private
Rep

Quote:
You're going to need to take the amp trigger wire and tap it to the fuse because the NBT is not going to know how to turn on the amp. Also, you'll need a new USB and Bluetooth Antenna as those are currently connected to the Combox. Also note that your AM/FM antenna wires are different so you will lose AM radio.

Once you disable the combox, you'll also have to terminate the most loop so that DTC messages and Service Internals can show up properly on the instrument cluster. Also, your microphone will need to be disconnected and you'll need to run it to pins 17 and 22 on the quad lock as that too also goes to the combox currently.

We usually don't recommend this retrofit due to the amount of work involved. HU_ENTRY to NBT is much easier as HU_ENTRY is wired exactly like an NBT due to the combox not being present.

Man thats much more hassle than I expected
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 02:24 PM   #6
palomino05
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i sedan

Quote:
Quote:

Hello , I just recently bought a NBT EVO HU and I have a 2013 BMW with no NAV. Is it difficult to retrofit this NAV into my car ? I have some pics if this helps . Thanks
I really appreciate any feed back this will be my first retro fit .
I have baseline model so it would be Hi Fi system I believe
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 02:27 PM   #7
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomino05 View Post
Hello , I just recently bought a NBT EVO HU and I have a 2013 BMW with no NAV. Is it difficult to retrofit this NAV into my car ? I have some pics if this helps . Thanks
You're not going to be able to use Navigation as this head unit does not have the GPS Aerial port built in like on the first generation NBT.

These NBT EVOs are meant to work with the ATM module and without that, you will not be able to get your GPS position. At this point, you can either purchase an ATM emulator or try and get an ATM from donor but these are very difficult to wire.

Also, just because it's NBT EVO does not mean it's ID5. This appears to be an ID4 unit.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 02:33 PM   #8
palomino05
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You're not going to be able to use Navigation as this head unit does not have the GPS Aerial port built in like on the first generation NBT.

These NBT EVOs are meant to work with the ATM module and without that, you will not be able to get your GPS position. At this point, you can either purchase an ATM emulator or try and get an ATM from donor but these are very difficult to wire.

Also, just because it's NBT EVO does not mean it's ID5. This appears to be an ID4 unit.
Wow do I just wasted my money , so your saying I cannot use this unit for navigation on my car ?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 02:35 PM   #9
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Wow do I just wasted my money , so your saying I cannot use this unit for navigation on my car ?
It's not impossible but it will take a lot more work to have everything working. You should be able to get the GPS positioning working if you get one of these. I don't sell these but this device will transmit the GPS data over to the head unit if you don't have the ATM module.

http://carsystems.com.ua/bmw-product...tm-emulator-en

Are you able to exchange it for a first generation NBT?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 02:37 PM   #10
palomino05
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It's not impossible but it will take a lot more work to have everything working.

Are you able to exchange it for a first generation NBT?
No seller doesn't do returns . So what would I need to install this ? Slot of parts ?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 02:40 PM   #11
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No seller doesn't do returns . So what would I need to install this ? Slot of parts ?
If you just install it the way it is, most of the functions will work except for Nav and voice control. You'll be able to use the bigger 8.8" screen.

Just treat it is a movie player and multimedia device.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 02:46 PM   #12
palomino05
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If you just install it the way it is, most of the functions will work except for Nav and voice control. You'll be able to use the bigger 8.8" screen.

Just treat it is a movie player and multimedia device.
What if I want the navigation to work ? Lots of parts ?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 02:51 PM   #13
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Correct.

Also, if this head unit has software from November 2015 or later on it, it may disable itself if it detects that it's being installed into vehicle with a different VIN.

All of our NBT and NBT EVO retrofits are flashed on our bench and pre-coded and activated to your car's VIN so you wouldn't have to worry about this issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 02:53 PM   #14
palomino05
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Correct.

Also, if this head unit has software from November 2015 or later on it, it may disable itself if it detects that it's being installed into vehicle with a different VIN.

All of our NBT and NBT EVO retrofits are flashed on our bench and pre-coded and activated to your car's VIN so you wouldn't have to worry about this issue.
So could you guys make this work ? If I purchased the extra parts from you guys ?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 02:56 PM   #15
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So could you guys make this work ? If I purchased the extra parts from you guys ?
I would probably try to get rid of this one first as it will cost you much more to go ahead with this retrofit.

You can consider purchasing one of ours later. Since your vehicle is a base model, it will literally be plug and play if you go with a first gen NBT.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 02:59 PM   #16
palomino05
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I would probably try to get rid of this one first as it will cost you much more to go ahead with this retrofit.

You can consider purchasing one of ours later. Since your vehicle is a base model, it will literally be plug and play if you go with a first gen NBT.
Oh wow, I thought buy buying emulator it would be ok .
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 03:04 PM   #17
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If you get the ATM emulator as well as the Can Filtering harness, you should be ok. I don't think anyone else here has used an ATM emulator as of yet so you will be the first to find out
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 03:08 PM   #18
palomino05
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If you get the ATM emulator as well as the Can Filtering harness, you should be ok. I don't think anyone else here has used an ATM emulator as of yet so you will be the first to find out
How much do you guys charge for just the NBT unit ?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 12:04 AM   #19
palomino05
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How much do you guys charge for just the NBT unit ?
I'll probably have to buy one from you guys , this one seems like to much work . I will have to save up since I wasted money on this one
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 12:13 PM   #20
carlson
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F30

You can use what you have, you just need carsystems emulator. It contains a built in CAN filter, so you don't need extra parts besides ATM emulator. You will obviously need to get or solder all the missing wires.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 01:48 PM   #21
timk123
Private
Rep

Quote:
I'll probably have to buy one from you guys , this one seems like to much work . I will have to save up since I wasted money on this one
I wonder why you didnt try to get retrofit kit from bimmer-tech instead of hu only
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 04:36 PM   #22
palomino05
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlson View Post
You can use what you have, you just need carsystems emulator. It contains a built in CAN filter, so you don't need extra parts besides ATM emulator. You will obviously need to get or solder all the missing wires.
I'm just going to buy NBT non EVO so it's easier lol
Appreciate 0