F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Unichip CarPlay
Extreme Powerhouse

09-29-2018, 11:14 PM   #243
grahamrb
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 1-series m-sport 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by willywi View Post
So I just contact Unichip today and they said the wireless version of it will be out by end of October. Should I get wired one or wait for wireless? and where do you guys run the mic wire and USB cable?
Pretty awesome that a vendor is looking at a wireless version! I’m in two minds about it. Having the box automatically connect to your phone would be awesome but I always hated having the lag on i-drive when controlling my phone over Bluetooth. Also, I always have my phone plugged in and charging in the car and you generally need to if you want GPS for any length of time.

Last edited by grahamrb; 09-29-2018 at 11:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 04:41 AM   #244
Phoenixcat
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M-Sport F31

Garage List
Wireless CarPlay uses Wi-Fi and Bluetooth so should in theory be better than just Bluetooth alone. But then again I read a on a post somewhere that wireless CarPlay on new BMW's is a bit laggy..

If unichip get it to work properly it could be a good solution along with the BMW wireless charging snap in adaptor.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 03:55 AM   #245
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloso77 View Post
- different from Unichip solution, the solution you chose doesn't a additional mic hanging out of somewhere in the car and it uses the built mic from bmw, correct? No need to do any patches inside the panel in order for this to work?
The Unique AD box thing does not need a new mic, it uses the car's mic - box is plug and play really, no need to code anything in the car or cut any cables.

Quote:
- is it possible to listen to music from NBT and use carplay for navigation? In other words, does the cable that connects your iPhone to the Unique box also connects your iPhone to BMW system?
Sure, you can use the FM radio or something else and only see the CarPlay screen - but CarPlay audio comes out only when the car is on AUX though. My car is currently always in AUX and I am using TuneIn for radio stations.

Quote:
- to use carplay to listen to music and navigate you have to turn on the AUX under multimedia otherwise the audio will come from NBT, right?
Yes, NBT needs to be in AUX mode so you can hear calls/Carplay stuff.

Quote:
- have you managed to program a one-press solution to access carplay and turn on the AUX function? As far I have been reading, you need to (i) turno on AUX under multimedia and then (ii) long press MENU for 3-5 seconds in order to fully use carplay -- can you make a single shortcut for both actions?
I don't think that is possible. Just know that without pressing any button, CarPlay engages automatically when you connect the phone - if the car is already in AUX, you don't have to press anything. I do have a shortcut to put the car in AUX mode though.
Press+Hold Menu button is to go in/out of Carplay mode if needed.

Last edited by x-m4n; 10-01-2018 at 04:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 04:04 AM   #246
grahamrb
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 1-series m-sport 2016

The BimmerTech offering has a single button option where it switches to aux and enables CarPlay so should be possible for Unichip to do something similar.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 07:52 AM   #247
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-m4n View Post
The Unique AD box thing does not need a new mic, it uses the car's mic - box is plug and play really, no need to code anything in the car or cut any cables.

Sure, you can use the FM radio or something else and only see the CarPlay screen - but CarPlay audio comes out only when the car is on AUX though. My car is currently always in AUX and I am using TuneIn for radio stations.

I don't think that is possible. Just know that without pressing any button, CarPlay engages automatically when you connect the phone - if the car is already in AUX, you don't have to press anything. I do have a shortcut to put the car in AUX mode though.

Has Unique been able to extend resolution to cover the whole display?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 09:03 AM   #248
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblues View Post
Quote:

Has Unique been able to extend resolution to cover the whole display?
I haven't heard from them - Ask them directly to show there is interest
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 03:31 PM   #249
jshaff28
Rep
Drives: 2014 3.28xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
I tried working out a wholesale deal with them and they tried to pull a bait and switch on me by changing the price last minute.

There's another vendor I'm going through who offers a much better product with possible android auto suppport and I will have it tested and will report back later on.
Did you ever find a vendor with Android auto support?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 01:31 PM   #250
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaff28 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
I tried working out a wholesale deal with them and they tried to pull a bait and switch on me by changing the price last minute.

There's another vendor I'm going through who offers a much better product with possible android auto suppport and I will have it tested and will report back later on.
Did you ever find a vendor with Android auto support?
The unique ad box has android auto as an option but I haven't tried it as we all have iPhones here... link with them directly see what they say
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 12:00 PM   #251
jshaff28
Rep
Drives: 2014 3.28xi

Quote:
The unique ad box has android auto as an option but I haven't tried it as we all have iPhones here... link with them directly see what they say
I did reach out to unique AD, but they havent given me a real answer at this point.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 11:18 AM   #252
x3sm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 Porsche

Wonder if someone can help me understand, will the Unichip work on my 2011 BMW X3 F25? I have 6.5" screen, no navigation. I do have AUX, USB and bluetooth. Also I would like to add a reverse camera, would I be able to make it all work?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 06:10 AM   #253
Ravijordan
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

Does anybody know if the wireless version is out yet ?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 09:01 AM   #254
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sm View Post
Wonder if someone can help me understand, will the Unichip work on my 2011 BMW X3 F25? I have 6.5" screen, no navigation. I do have AUX, USB and bluetooth. Also I would like to add a reverse camera, would I be able to make it all work?

Thanks!
Yes. They have a kit that will work. You just need to contact them via their site.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 09:02 AM   #255
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravijordan View Post
Does anybody know if the wireless version is out yet ?
Nope. Not yet. Tbh, it doesn’t sound like it’s even close.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 10:35 AM   #256
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonchicken View Post
Nope. Not yet. Tbh, it doesn’t sound like it’s even close.
Yeah, it does look like a complicated solution to implement.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 04:23 PM   #257
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, it does look like a complicated solution to implement.
and with the power draw on the phone from CarPlay, music, and nav. it seems like you'd always have to plug your phone into a charger anyway. unless you've hooked up a Qi charging pad of some sort, and that seems to be kinda slow for charging anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 07:38 PM   #258
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

is it possible to add an aftermarket 360 camera system with unichip? if so, how? any recomendations on make/model?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 02:50 PM   #259
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamrb View Post
The BimmerTech offering has a single button option where it switches to aux and enables CarPlay so should be possible for Unichip to do something similar.
Exactly the same setup for unichip. Also even though unichip uses a third party microphone, everyone I’ve spoken to on the phone say I sound better now than I did before. And they don’t know I’ve switched systems. I don’t think the bmw microphone was all that. Yes, it doesn’t look fantastic, but it’s small. Was super easy to wire up to over the rear view mirror.
More controls seem to work on CarPlay. Steering wheel scroll wheel skips songs. I drive controller can skip songs from any app. Bummermod could not. I drive buttons map to apps. Push nav and it brings up apple maps. Push phone it brings up phone. I don’t think dimmermod had that. Also unichip allows relative volume adjust. I can set the phone volume relative to the music volume. Normal oem CarPlay allows this. Bimmertek could not do that. Unichip is definitely a more robust setup. And obviously the screen looks waaaayyyy better.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 07:59 PM   #260
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Exactly the same setup for unichip. Also even though unichip uses a third party microphone, everyone I’ve spoken to on the phone say I sound better now than I did before. And they don’t know I’ve switched systems. I don’t think the bmw microphone was all that. Yes, it doesn’t look fantastic, but it’s small. Was super easy to wire up to over the rear view mirror.
More controls seem to work on CarPlay. Steering wheel scroll wheel skips songs. I drive controller can skip songs from any app. Bummermod could not. I drive buttons map to apps. Push nav and it brings up apple maps. Push phone it brings up phone. I don’t think dimmermod had that. Also unichip allows relative volume adjust. I can set the phone volume relative to the music volume. Normal oem CarPlay allows this. Bimmertek could not do that. Unichip is definitely a more robust setup. And obviously the screen looks waaaayyyy better.
You had a Bimmertech MMI and then replaced it with Unichip?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 11:09 PM   #261
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You had a Bimmertech MMI and then replaced it with Unichip?
I did indeed. Could not get adequate support in a timely manner from bimmertech. Had a sound quality issue that was not able to be resolved. So ended up going for the unichip and all was great when I installed the first time.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 07:44 PM   #262
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
and with the power draw on the phone from CarPlay, music, and nav. it seems like you'd always have to plug your phone into a charger anyway. unless you've hooked up a Qi charging pad of some sort, and that seems to be kinda slow for charging anyway.
Technically a proper Qi charger would support 7.5W of power which is more than the typical iPhone 5W charger.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 12:50 AM   #263
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Technically a proper Qi charger would support 7.5W of power which is more than the typical iPhone 5W charger.
True true, but my little Anker is putting down 24 watts (2x12) at the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 08:38 AM   #264
Paillote
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw Z4

Same experience on my Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorks26 View Post
Having read various posts on here, I decided to purchase one of these Unichip Carplay Boxes from Unichip to fit into my E93 (BMW) 3 series with CIC.

Looking at the forums, their website, and youtube videos the box looks great.

However !! when installing it things dont look so good for me, and wondered if anyone has had similar issues.

Immediately after 1st install, the box seems to work for about 3 mins after presseing the #8 button on the dashboard - then the 8.8" screen went blank, and the dashboard error lights lit up like a christmas tree - the dial needles were pulsating.

We turned off the vehicle, and all the errors lights came immediately back on, and the screen came on showing a list of errors, serious electic fault, k-line faults the works.

We immediately removed the box, and put the car back together, errors light still came on, and needed to be cleared with laptop. Thankfully the car was back to normal !

We conatcted Unichip for assistance (Holly Yang / Gary) was told to reinstall as with might have the DIP Switches wrong, so we reinstalled and followed the instructiosn, and again the same issues, contacted Unchip again, was told Gary would FaceTime/Whatsapp with us, if we installed it for a third time - arrnaged a time and place (bearing in mind hte 8 hour time difference), and Gary refused to FaceTime/Whatsapp, he was just very rude, unhelpful, and derodgatory towards me and my audio engineer via text (who has 20 years professional car audio experience)

We believe we have a faulty unit, the wrong unit, or unit with corrupt software from them, so was wondering if anyone has any ideas, or whom has sucessully installed this unit with no issues
I got the same thing happening as soon as I turned on the power on in my Z4. Warning lights blinking all over the place. Did you get it resolved, if so, very happy to hear how you did it. My unit was held up in customs and is probably to late to return now...
Appreciate 0