F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Experience with 10.25" android 7.1 HU's
ARMA SPEED

06-06-2018, 08:51 AM   #155
Atiqofsweden
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: -18 i3S, -10 E90 320ed

Mine is really laggy when using google maps, gps lock is instant but the map lags, Waze is running smoothly! I have another offline nav app as well, copilot and its totally unusable. Is there any update I need to install?

|| BMW F31 Mineral Grey || JOM Coilovers || Supersprint Axleback || BM3 Stage 1 || GFB DV || Old cars: E46 320i, F30 318d celtic tuning stage 1 ||
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 09:28 AM   #156
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G21 330e MSport Individual

Perhaps because it is downloading maps?
I havent tested it since I use waze which I find currently the best navi that I have tried.
I tried maps, waze and another one I cant remember on my previous avin
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 11:07 AM   #157
masanada73
Rep
Drives: 14F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova66 View Post
Make sure your aux audio is turned down to around 15 to 20. It seems higher than that overdrive's the system audio. You can then turn up android volume by swiping down on the head unit, bringing up "function" and "notification" shortcuts. I have found you can then turn up the volume here and it will not distort the sound.
i will try today!
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 11:14 AM   #158
Supernova66
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atiqofsweden View Post
Mine is really laggy when using google maps, gps lock is instant but the map lags, Waze is running smoothly! I have another offline nav app as well, copilot and its totally unusable. Is there any update I need to install?
As this is android, when you close an app it can still be "running" in the background using resources. I found that using another launcher I have the ability to "window" the apps and close them completely.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 11:17 AM   #159
MrChang
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 M-Sport MG 2014

Quote:
It is the same for me, the map lags. I have tried waze and sygic.

Also my aux sound is sometimes fine and other times distorted. Yesterday I played music from soundcloud and youtube and the sound from aux was good and today it was very distorted. But now I use spotify (as a remote) on android screen and sound is played from the phone which is plugged in the oem usb.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 02:28 PM   #160
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Okidoki, time for an update on my side.
I will try to update the topic start with helpfull information but please send your insights to me so we combine info.
I still havent received my DAB splitter but the was running as it should, using Waze as navigation.
I still have 2 issues:

It also doesnt connect to my hotspot of my phone, even with an installed automation app. This app checks the networks and tries to connect to it directly. I still need to manually press the network in order to connect to it which is not the way it should work... It connects to my Wifi just fine.
I read somewhere that when a wifi network is not active at the moment you start, it cannot connect automatically but I dont know if thats the issue. My hotspot is activated by my cars bluetooth connection so starts just a second later that the boot sequence start.

I just got the "No signal message again and did some testing.
- Pressing a pin in the reset hole doesnt help.
- It does not matter if there is something plugged in on USB or sdcard.
- when the car is shut down and locked for more than a minute, the message is gone.
- I think it can be triggered by shutting down the system and starting it quickly again.

What I am thinking is that is has something to do with the option for starting in Idrive or not. That is also a shutdown procedure for 45 secs and maybe there is an error in the creation or modification of the bootfile or something?

For the rest, I really need to test it some more and I will try to make some short films or something of it to compare to you guys..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 03:51 PM   #161
a803sgo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M-SPORT (F30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRuw View Post
Okidoki, time for an update on my side.
I just got the "No signal message again and did some testing.
- Pressing a pin in the reset hole doesnt help.
- It does not matter if there is something plugged in on USB or sdcard.
- when the car is shut down and locked for more than a minute, the message is gone.
- I think it can be triggered by shutting down the system and starting it quickly again.

What I am thinking is that is has something to do with the option for starting in Idrive or not. That is also a shutdown procedure for 45 secs and maybe there is an error in the creation or modification of the bootfile or something?
Known problem, no fix as yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 09:26 PM   #162
masanada73
Rep
Drives: 14F30

Quote:
Make sure your aux audio is turned down to around 15 to 20. It seems higher than that overdrive's the system audio. You can then turn up android volume by swiping down on the head unit, bringing up "function" and "notification" shortcuts. I have found you can then turn up the volume here and it will not distort the sound.
Awesome! No it is fixed.
You were right, 20 is the limit.
But for me, i had to adjust the original gps volume under android settings.
Even though Mu car did not have original Navi....
Just to make sure, i removed the Aux cable and the sound from Waze is still working...so it does not pass through Aux.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 09:55 PM   #163
Supernova66
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by masanada73 View Post
Quote:
Awesome! No it is fixed.
You were right, 20 is the limit.
But for me, i had to adjust the original gps volume under android settings.
Even though Mu car did not have original Navi....
Just to make sure, i removed the Aux cable and the sound from Waze is still working...so it does not pass through Aux.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 10:26 PM   #164
steve498
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Hi guys,

So I installed the unit into my 2016 LCI with HU EntryNav and reverse camera and all is well. From installation, it's pretty straight forward you can follow Avin's instructions but the camera is more tricky but I'll go into that later.

During installation, one of the steps is to transfer the green optical cable to the new harness. For some reason my car did not have this which was unexpected so I just continued and connected the provided aux cable from the AUX black output cable on the wiring for the screen to the aux socket in the center console. (This wire can be ran so it's all hidden if routed properly.)

I also partly removed the glovebox and ran the two USBs from the screen into the glovebox. At the back on the left inside the glovebox is a plastic square which pops off and has a small hole big enough for the USB cables. (If you put the connector through first, not the usb end) and run it to the screen. Once finished, the USBs sit inside the glovebox.

Furthermore, if you have a reverse camera then you need to connect it as follows:

(1) Connect the yellow end to the main harness labelled CCD CVBS IN and the red wire to the CCD 12V cable (you can solder it like I did or crimp it).

(2) Connect the other end of the yellow cable to the reverse camera unit's yellow connector.

(3) On the reverse camera unit connect the red cable to the black cable. (The black cable is separate cables.)

(4) Split the wire bundle which has a black connector end and a red/black wire joined so that the red and black wires are separated. (We just used this bundle in step 3.)

Connect the red wire separated from that bundle to the red wire from the yellow connector in step 2.

(5) Ground the black wire we split from step 4 to the car (preferably in the boot as you'll be running the cables into there) and test if it works! If so, put all the camera into the boot and tidy up all the wires etc.

It's very simple but sounds difficult. If you refer to the steps and this picture I took then you can get the idea of what's going on.

After reconnecting everything and putting back all the trim (which is difficult there are a lot of wires but it can be done, eventually.)

Booting up, make sure it actually comes on and if you get No Signal like I did once it's because the cables are probably a bit loose from tidying up so I had to push them back in slightly. (At least it was for me in this case.)

Anyway, the screen then looked like this. (This is because my car was coded for a 6.5" display and the android unit was overlaying it with some split screen feature.)

To resolve this I went into the unit's settings and selected System Info and then factory setup. In my case the pin code was 2018. Then I selected car type, double taped on F48/F58 8.8" or 10.25". It was one of them. (I'll check tomorrow and update this post.). Click apply and that's half of it done.

Next, I used bimmercode expert mode although esys can also be used and changed the two following codes in the HU NBT module. (If you have CIC then it may differ).

HU_NBT > 3000 HMI > DISPLAY_SIZE_RESOLUTION = 8.8_1280x480
HU_NBT > 3001 EXBOX > DISPLAY_VARIANTE = breites_display

If you're unsure of how to do this then you'll need to find someone who can code your car or look into bimmercode or esys.

Once updated, the screen now looks like this. (You can physically touch the screen to enter the android side.)

So far I've had no issues and worked flawlessly. I know some people have said they've had audio issues with android but I personally have not because I used an AUX cable it's sounds great. I also have navigation on my car so I did not install a GPS antenna. I have ordered a gps splitter but it has not arrived yet so once it arrives I'll probably wire it in soon. But the bulk of the unit's work is here.

I hope this helps you guys Me and my partner have been loving it and now she can watch her tv shows when we're on long journeys. The unit hasn't frozen once and runs so smooth it's like butter! (Except it's not actually butter.)

Last edited by steve498; 06-06-2018 at 10:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 11:08 PM   #165
uluvsg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F34 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve498 View Post
Hi guys,

So I installed the unit into my 2016 LCI with HU EntryNav and reverse camera and all is well. From installation, it's pretty straight forward you can follow Avin's instructions but the camera is more tricky but I'll go into that later.

During installation, one of the steps is to transfer the green optical cable to the new harness. For some reason my car did not have this which was unexpected so I just continued and connected the provided aux cable from the AUX black output cable on the wiring for the screen to the aux socket in the center console. (This wire can be ran so it's all hidden if routed properly.)

I also partly removed the glovebox and ran the two USBs from the screen into the glovebox. At the back on the left inside the glovebox is a plastic square which pops off and has a small hole big enough for the USB cables. (If you put the connector through first, not the usb end) and run it to the screen. Once finished, the USBs sit inside the glovebox.

Furthermore, if you have a reverse camera then you need to connect it as follows:

(1) Connect the yellow end to the main harness labelled CCD CVBS IN and the red wire to the CCD 12V cable (you can solder it like I did or crimp it).

(2) Connect the other end of the yellow cable to the reverse camera unit's yellow connector.

(3) On the reverse camera unit connect the red cable to the black cable. (The black cable is separate cables.)

(4) Split the wire bundle which has a black connector end and a red/black wire joined so that the red and black wires are separated. (We just used this bundle in step 3.)

Connect the red wire separated from that bundle to the red wire from the yellow connector in step 2.

(5) Ground the black wire we split from step 4 to the car (preferably in the boot as you'll be running the cables into there) and test if it works! If so, put all the camera into the boot and tidy up all the wires etc.

It's very simple but sounds difficult. If you refer to the steps and this picture I took then you can get the idea of what's going on.

After reconnecting everything and putting back all the trim (which is difficult there are a lot of wires but it can be done, eventually.)

Booting up, make sure it actually comes on and if you get No Signal like I did once it's because the cables are probably a bit loose from tidying up so I had to push them back in slightly. (At least it was for me in this case.)

Anyway, the screen then looked like this. (This is because my car was coded for a 6.5" display and the android unit was overlaying it with some split screen feature.)

To resolve this I went into the unit's settings and selected System Info and then factory setup. In my case the pin code was 2018. Then I selected car type, double taped on F48/F58 8.8" or 10.25". It was one of them. (I'll check tomorrow and update this post.). Click apply and that's half of it done.

Next, I used bimmercode expert mode although esys can also be used and changed the two following codes in the HU NBT module. (If you have CIC then it may differ).

If you're unsure of how to do this then you'll need to find someone who can code your car or look into bimmercode or esys.

Once updated, the screen now looks like this. (You can physically touch the screen to enter the android side.)

So far I've had no issues and worked flawlessly. I know some people have said they've had audio issues with android but I personally have not because I used an AUX cable it's sounds great. I also have navigation on my car so I did not install a GPS antenna. I have ordered a gps splitter but it has not arrived yet so once it arrives I'll probably wire it in soon. But the bulk of the unit's work is here.

I hope this helps you guys Me and my partner have been loving it and now she can watch her tv shows when we're on long journeys. The unit hasn't frozen once and runs so smooth it's like butter! (Except it's not actually butter.)
What if I already have a factory reverse camera fitted in my car?

Should I move any cable from the original harness and put it into new harness?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 11:14 PM   #166
steve498
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uluvsg View Post

Thanks in advance!
Not fully sure but from a logical point of view I'd leave it in as the original car and then in the android settings on the screen in factory setup there is a Camera setting and select original camera fitted. Then the android should let the iDrive take over when reversing.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 11:24 PM   #167
Supernova66
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance!
If you have factory rear camera you need to do nothing
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 11:32 PM   #168
uluvsg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F34 2013

Quote:
Oh really?? All I need to do is taking optical cables from the original harness into new harness (for sounds) and that is all?

So will reverse camera screen be displayed and work on both original and android side screen?

Thanks for the prompt responses Supernova66! You are legend :-)

I am still waiting for the gps splitter cable to be arrived ;-)

Just wanted to make sure I know every possible issues before installing this unit.

Many thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 11:48 PM   #169
mike78
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d M-Sport (2013)

Do you know if I can connect front camera with RCA connection (not usb) ? And how do you access it?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 11:48 PM   #170
Supernova66
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Oh really?? All I need to do is taking optical cables from the original harness into new harness (for sounds) and that is all?

So will reverse camera screen be displayed and work on both original and android side screen?

Thanks for the prompt responses Supernova66! You are legend :-)

I am still waiting for the gps splitter cable to be arrived ;-)

Just wanted to make sure I know every possible issues before installing this unit.

Many thanks in advance!
All you need to do is remove the connector that holds the green and black "wires" from your OE head unit connector and plug it into the "new" connector that you will install back into your OE head unit. Very simple once you have it in front of you. The backup camera works flawless in both iDrive and android.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 11:51 PM   #171
Supernova66
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike78 View Post
Do you know if I can connect front camera with RCA connection (not usb) ? And how do you access it?
I'm not exactly sure. I would drop a line to Louie at:. info@ugode.com

I know he has the answer.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 12:59 AM   #172
florinbrv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320D

Quote:
Hi guys,

Great review Mate!

Are you watching video while driving? Please check the legislation, I believe it's forbidden to watch any type of video/TV shows since the 80's. If you are caught by the police, it's not just a fine...

Be careful and drive safely!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 03:06 AM   #173
mike78
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d M-Sport (2013)

Quote:
Hi guys,

Great review.
Can you please check if you can connect also a front camera in a similar way? with RCA? and if yes, if it can record to DVR function and how easy is to access it e.g. during parking.

Thanx,
Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 06:02 AM   #174
steve498
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike78 View Post
Great review.
Can you please check if you can connect also a front camera in a similar way? with RCA? and if yes, if it can record to DVR function and how easy is to access it e.g. during parking.

Thanx,
Mike
I'll have a look at the wires later and see what I can see on the labels but I'm not fully sure it's probably better to get a dash cam as it's independent and will record regardless of the headunit's state. It also will be less strain on it technical wise. And for parking my reverse camera just comes up immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by florinbrv View Post
Great review Mate!

Are you watching video while driving? Please check the legislation, I believe it's forbidden to watch any type of video/TV shows since the 80's. If you are caught by the police, it's not just a fine...

Be careful and drive safely!
Thanks I'll look into it. I personally am not watching it but we'll see. My windows are blacked out anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 07:47 AM   #175
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChang View Post
It is the same for me, the map lags. I have tried waze and sygic.
Tried it today and Google maps is unusable.
Waze works perfectly but GM is laggy and hangs in a couple of minutes.
Weird....
On AVIN it worked so I think its related to running processes/software..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 08:56 AM   #176
vanillahunter
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Google Maps is what keeps crashing my unit. I recommend Waze all day...
Appreciate 0