F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Steering Wheel Button Coding
Studio RSR

04-02-2021, 08:12 PM   #1
bmw335bmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 340xi

Steering Wheel Button Coding

Didn't see this anywhere so not even sure if it is a thing.

On the right side of the steering wheel there are two buttons and a scroll wheel. The scroll wheel changes tracks and the buttons increase and decrease volume. Any way to change the function of these? I would to change the tracks with the up and down buttons and the scroll wheel to be the volume.

Can this be done on Bimmercode?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 02:26 AM   #2
thepianist1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

I asked the same question with no response. Maybe we can figure this out together, PM me.

I have an G01 X3 with similar controls. Normally I would just use gesture control or the dashboard to control the volume or track. The rocker switch is useful for browsing call history and media sources, but that makes the track and volume buttons redundant as I rarely touch them yet they take up 70% of the right half of the steering wheel. Hopefully i can use the track and volume buttons to control idrive input, zoom in and out of map, etc without taking right hand of wheel
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 12:12 PM   #3
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

You may try to switch the wires if the scroll wheel and the up/down buttons if both provide the same type of signal (i.e. 12V ON and 0V OFF) and not some digital signature.

The only other way you may change that, if you add (inject into that bus) a CAN bus module you program to emulate the scroll wheel and the up/down buttons.