F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Adaptive lighting
ARMA SPEED

02-03-2014, 06:55 AM   #23
Dromedary
Rep
Drives: 420xd

A question from a new member.

With the adaptive headlights and high beam assist on, can one override this manually with the dip switch to either get full beam if required, or indeed temporarily knock it off?

Just in the decision stages of ordering and trying to work out what is worth having!

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 08:42 AM   #24
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dromedary View Post
A question from a new member.

With the adaptive headlights and high beam assist on, can one override this manually with the dip switch to either get full beam if required, or indeed temporarily knock it off?

Just in the decision stages of ordering and trying to work out what is worth having!

Many thanks
Yes, the high beam assist is activated from a separate switch under the indicator stalk.
Then the indicator stalk works the full beam manually the same as any other car (I think! Its been a while since I tried it)!

Its much better than the old E90 where the high beam assist worked of the indicator stalk only.
Attached Images

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 08:54 AM   #25
brommy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Unless I'm mistaken (which is possible as I haven't collected yet), the function that controls the ability to keep high beam on whilst attempting not to dazzle other cars (by steering/tunnelling the high beam around them) is the 'high beam assist', NOT the adaptive lights. Sure, the adaptive lights provide the movement that the high beam assist dictates but I believe the lights are always adaptive - even with the high beam assist off. With the high beam off, the lights still move from left to right in reaction to movement of the steering wheel but they don't go to high beam. This is why you need BOTH options (i.e. Visibility pack) to see the 'magic light show'. In summary:

Adaptive lights only = low (or high beam if manually selected) move left and right with the steering, but no 'tunnelling'.

High Beam Assist = switches high beam off when other cars are detected - still no 'tunnelling'.

BOTH options available and with high beam assist turned on = magic light show.
      02-03-2014, 12:21 PM   #26
Alkidrew
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by brommy View Post
Unless I'm mistaken (which is possible as I haven't collected yet), the function that controls the ability to keep high beam on whilst attempting not to dazzle other cars (by steering/tunnelling the high beam around them) is the 'high beam assist', NOT the adaptive lights. Sure, the adaptive lights provide the movement that the high beam assist dictates but I believe the lights are always adaptive - even with the high beam assist off. With the high beam off, the lights still move from left to right in reaction to movement of the steering wheel but they don't go to high beam. This is why you need BOTH options (i.e. Visibility pack) to see the 'magic light show'. In summary:

Adaptive lights only = low (or high beam if manually selected) move left and right with the steering, but no 'tunnelling'.

High Beam Assist = switches high beam off when other cars are detected - still no 'tunnelling'.

BOTH options available and with high beam assist turned on = magic light show.
yes, that's right. Adaptive lights also stretch out a little as your speed increases. You notice it at traffic lights where it lights across the road but as you accelerate it "tightens".
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 12:23 PM   #27
Alkidrew
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
Yes, terms are being mixed . Adaptive Xenons and High Beam Assist are being muddled up

Lights in auto mode (11am), means the car decides when to turn on/off dipped beam and the Adaptive Xenons are active -they point where you point the steering wheel.

Lights in manual mode (2pm-ish), the Xenons are non adaptive and take a flat beam. This is what you must use if driving on the wrong side of the road - i.e. in Europe.

The button on the stalk you are talking about is High Beam Assist, which can only be used when the lights are in auto (11am). This does all the snazzy independent dipped/high beams, splitting, tunnels, varying distances to match vehicles ahead, etc...

High Beam Assist cannot be used when the lights are in manual mode.

High Beam Assist and Adaptive Xenons are calibrated for the UK and cannot be used abroad.

Hope this helps clarify!
thanks for that, I didn't know and you are right as tried it tonight. interestingly if you pull up on your drive and stop, the adaptive still turns the lights left and right (whereas when you first start the car, they don't start working until you have a little speed). You can then switch it from 11 oclock to 2 oclock and see the light beams go from adaptive to flat beam.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #28
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkidrew View Post
thanks for that, I didn't know and you are right as tried it tonight. interestingly if you pull up on your drive and stop, the adaptive still turns the lights left and right (whereas when you first start the car, they don't start working until you have a little speed). You can then switch it from 11 oclock to 2 oclock and see the light beams go from adaptive to flat beam.
Also, the Adaptive Xenons are happier to point left than they are right, as it doesn't want to dazzle oncoming cars - hence the UK calibration being unsuitable for Europe.

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 03:18 PM   #29
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Yes, the high beam assist is activated from a separate switch under the indicator stalk.
Then the indicator stalk works the full beam manually the same as any other car (I think! Its been a while since I tried it)!

Its much better than the old E90 where the high beam assist worked of the indicator stalk only.

Sorry to chase this. But, I'm intrigued and still 26 days off my car and can't test... Not counting honest...

The insert from the manual, in the above post, says the high beam assistant works in both headlight modes... 11 and 2 o'clock.

With the Vis pack you get full 'dancing lights' at 11 o'clock.

However, at 2 o'clock you get nothing? Not even simple on/off high beam control with flat beam for the continent?
Attached Images

02-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #30
Alkidrew
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
Sorry to chase this. But, I'm intrigued and still 26 days off my car and can't test... Not counting honest...

The insert from the manual, in the above post, says the high beam assistant works in both headlight modes... 11 and 2 o'clock.

However, at 2 o'clock you get nothing? Not even simple on/off high beam control with flat beam for the continent?
It may well do but not tried but that is what the manual says so makes sense. Basically keep it at 11 o'clock if you live in the uk. Only time I have turned manually is whe it has been sunny but foggy so not dark enough to trigger lights.

In summary, just leave it at 11 all the time.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 04:25 PM   #31
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkidrew View Post
It may well do but not tried but that is what the manual says so makes sense. Basically keep it at 11 o'clock if you live in the uk. Only time I have turned manually is whe it has been sunny but foggy so not dark enough to trigger lights.

In summary, just leave it at 11 all the time.
This is so true and all makes much sense. I'm just thinking ahead to a French summer holiday...

Presently I'm always at 11 o'clock, except in bright fog. It's just the best way, even with piss poor E90 Halogens. Especially, as in this setting the lights are also activated by the wipers.
      02-03-2014, 05:51 PM   #32
brommy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post

If the manual says the 'high beam assist' works when the lights are 'on' and on via 'auto' then I'm sure it does. The high beam assist will do a different thing in each setting:

At 11 o'clock (auto headlights) it will activate full adaptive function by steering the full beam around other cars, typically seen by the dark tunnel effect. It keeps high beam on except for low beam 'cut-outs' surrounding other vehicles.

At 2 o'clock (headlights on) it will dip full beam to total low beam (no areas of high beam) when it senses another car.

I think!