F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > F30 335i loud fan noise help
GetBMWParts

12-02-2021, 09:57 PM   #1
dlee825
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

F30 335i loud fan noise help

Hello everyone, today when I was driving back from an alignment, i noticed that my oil temp was dropping below the 245/250 degress it normally is at and dropped to literally half or maybe even less. The car is always properly warmed up and usually is around the 245 degree mark when driving. But today, I noticed that the oil temp was very low after driving for about 30 minutes and then my fan started blowing super loud. I was worried so i drove very slowly back home while the fan was blowing super loud. The car felt a little rough when I came to a stop a few times, but my rpms were perfectly fine. Im curious to see if this is a one time issue or if it could possibly be either the fan or water pump going out or anything else? This is the first time it has happened so I am a little worried it may happen again since I do daily drive the car about 20 miles a day. I have a 2013 335i sedan and has 51k miles on it. Please let me know if anyone has had a similar experience or if you know what the issue potentially could be. Any future maintenance tips would be appreciated as well, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 11:12 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Monitor your coolant temp, could be a thermostat, water pump, etc, issue. And scan for codes
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 11:18 PM   #3
dlee825
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Monitor your coolant temp, could be a thermostat, water pump, etc, issue. And scan for codes
Appreciate the feedback/help! Yea i was planning to maybe get a coolant flush as well as top off coolant and possibly replace the thermostat. Will also scan for codes tomorrow at my local shop. Thank you again!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 10:42 AM   #4
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlee825 View Post
Appreciate the feedback/help! Yea i was planning to maybe get a coolant flush as well as top off coolant and possibly replace the thermostat. Will also scan for codes tomorrow at my local shop. Thank you again!
I wouldn't do that all until you at least check/monitor the temp, otherwise you are just throwing parts at it. It could be a fan/control issue, but checking those first is key to try and gather more info.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 06:29 PM   #5
dlee825
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
I wouldn't do that all until you at least check/monitor the temp, otherwise you are just throwing parts at it. It could be a fan/control issue, but checking those first is key to try and gather more info.
Got it. I drove the car today in total about 60 miles and towards the last few miles of my commute, same thing happened. It was good pretty much all day and when I got close to home, i felt the car almost vibrating a little bit, then the oil temp dropped to about 190-200 and then the fan started to run super loud. Im also curious as to why the oil temp would be dropping so much and quickly after a full day of driving.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 07:55 PM   #6
Foxtrot3Zero
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

I would follow everything thejeremyman9 is saying. And will add that I had this problem with the additional issue of not being able to go over 3000 RPM in 1-3 gears (8AT). Not sure but may want to check this attached SIB. Also, there are other posts on this usually labeled something like, "first limp mode" or similar.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...irst+limp+mode

Note sure if your issue is completely the same, but sounds similar to others with high fan and oil temp staying in one spot (not working). Codes may or may not show if I remember correctly. Sorry for your issues. Mine got corrected with an ISTA update. Hasn't happened since.
      12-03-2021, 08:05 PM   #7
dlee825
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot3Zero View Post
I would follow everything thejeremyman9 is saying. And will add that I had this problem with the additional issue of not being able to go over 3000 RPM in 1-3 gears (8AT). Not sure but may want to check this attached SIB. Also, there are other posts on this usually labeled something like, "first limp mode" or similar.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...irst+limp+mode

Note sure if your issue is completely the same, but sounds similar to others with high fan and oil temp staying in one spot (not working). Codes may or may not show if I remember correctly. Sorry for your issues. Mine got corrected with an ISTA update. Hasn't happened since.
Appreciate the help! I actually was just reading over that link you sent over and it seems like the issues Im having are similar in a way. My car seemed to go past the 3rd gear, but the car definitely felt "sluggish". No check engine light came on luckily, but I am worried that this will keep happening since I do daily drive this car everyday.

Can I ask how you did the ISTA update or what is needed for the update to be done? Sorry, im brand new to this platform so Im still learning about this car and doing my best to research the forums a lot haha
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 09:05 AM   #8
Foxtrot3Zero
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

I had my independent shop in Orlando do it for me. They had a version past what the SIB required. I wasn't comfortable doing a whole version upgrade on my own. Some folks could definitely do it, I am just not at that level of comfort.
      12-04-2021, 09:58 AM   #9
dlee825
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot3Zero View Post
I had my independent shop in Orlando do it for me. They had a version past what the SIB required. I wasn't comfortable doing a whole version upgrade on my own. Some folks could definitely do it, I am just not at that level of comfort.
Got it, I was planning to do it at a local shop near me as well as I am not experienced nor do i have the equipment to do the update myself. I appreciate the info and help!
Appreciate 0