F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Turbo lag with a big intercooler? (Bm3 stage2)
Extreme Powerhouse

02-26-2020, 07:57 PM   #23
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
I already have the Evo 2 and need more cooling on hot summer track days, but I’m trying to balance weight, throttle response, and cooling performance for everyday driving, as well.

That’s why I really wanted the Evo 3, but it sounds like only my friends here will be able to take advantage.
Why don’t you buy one and modify it to fit - I think the M2 has extra bracing, which is why they may not be ‘compatible’

Otherwise, the ATM is a superior performer on the track, and barely gives up anything in throttle response. There is also the VRSF large core Intercooler a.
Have you considered upgrading the Diverter valve?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 08:19 PM   #24
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Why don’t you buy one and modify it to fit - I think the M2 has extra bracing, which is why they may not be ‘compatible’

Otherwise, the ATM is a superior performer on the track, and barely gives up anything in throttle response. There is also the VRSF large core Intercooler a.
Have you considered upgrading the Diverter valve?
The ATM is in the same boat, as it’ll require modification for the M2. And, a 7-11F on track IAT improvement actually isn’t that much when running an E30-40 tune bc the ethanol drastically improves timing and power pull with higher IAT.

Now, if I could get the Evo 3 to work, it’ll give a 20-25F improvement over the Evo 2 which would be noticeable, and apparently similar throttle response as the Evo 2. Tho, it weighs 6lbs more than the ATM and 10lbs over the Evo 2.

Maybe I should order and modify it. Just sucks to pay that much and still have to rig something up. If it’s just remove the bracing, that’s easy, but I can’t get a confirmation on that.

Sorry for all the M2 talk over here guys, I thought the Evo 3 was a go for me and wanted to mention it over here.

Last edited by ZM2; 02-26-2020 at 08:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      02-26-2020, 08:22 PM   #25
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The ATM is in the same boat, as it’ll require modification for the M2. And, a 10F on track IAT improvement actually isn’t that much when running an E30-40 tune bc the ethanol drastically improves timing and power pull with higher IAT.

Now, if I could get the Evo 3 to work, it’ll give a 20-25F improvement over the Evo 2 which would be noticeable, apparently similar throttle response as the Evo 2, and probably weighs the same or less than the ATM.

Maybe I should order and modify it. Just sucks to pay that much and still have to rig something up. If it’s just remove the bracing, that’s easy, but I can’t get a confirmation on that.

Sorry for all the M2 talk over here guys, I thought the Evo 3 was a go for me.
What about VRSF?
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50
      02-26-2020, 08:30 PM   #26
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
What about VRSF?
Maybe they have something and I should look into it. I just know those big bar/plate ICs are damn heavy and not ideal for road track setups.

I’ll take a look.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 10:40 PM   #27
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Maybe they have something and I should look into it. I just know those big bar/plate ICs are damn heavy and not ideal for road track setups.

I’ll take a look.
That’s just not true. Again, the ATM outperformed the Wagner by 10 degrees despite being a bar and plate, and despite then bring the same exact size - They are both are 6” cores.

You’re all caught up with the marketing hype, but it doesn’t seem to mean anything in the real world.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 08:24 AM   #28
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

That’s just not true. Again, the ATM outperformed the Wagner by 10 degrees despite being a bar and plate, and despite then bring the same exact size - They are both are 6” cores.

You’re all caught up with the marketing hype, but it doesn’t seem to mean anything in the real world.
Not sure what you’re referring to that you think I said isn’t true.

As I mentioned, a 10F difference isn’t going to make much of an impact for guys running Emixes on track. I wouldn’t trade to a 5lb heavier IC with worse throttle response in town to gain what would only be a few hp on an Emix tune on track.

To get a 20F+ difference over the Evo 2 we’re talking about needing a massive IC, all of which are going to be 30lbs+. I need to see if any of the massive bar/plate IC’s have that kind of performance gain without making lag even worse.

Apparently the Evo 3 achieves all these things from Wagner’s data, but I have to figure out what about it doesn’t fit.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 08:52 AM   #29
Derekrpd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i Xdrive

I installed the Active Autowerke IC and currently run BM3 stage 1 and there is definitely more turbo lag of idle. I got such a great deal on the IC from XPH I couldn't pass it up as I do not track or race my car. I'm hoping that when I switch to stage II I'll get a little more boost down low to make up for the lag. Just waiting for the weather to improve in the northeast before going stage II.
      02-27-2020, 11:29 AM   #30
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekrpd View Post
I installed the Active Autowerke IC and currently run BM3 stage 1 and there is definitely more turbo lag of idle. I got such a great deal on the IC from XPH I couldn't pass it up as I do not track or race my car. I'm hoping that when I switch to stage II I'll get a little more boost down low to make up for the lag. Just waiting for the weather to improve in the northeast before going stage II.
Have you logged or otherwise confirmed no boost leak? I know when i first installed VRSF IC+CP and flashed stage 1 i was really disappointed. The car didnt pull hard off the line or "surge" with torque when flooring it from idle. Turned out i had a boost leak. After if fixed all of that, throttle response/lag was dramatically improved and pretty much no different than stock.
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50
      02-27-2020, 03:50 PM   #31
Derekrpd
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
Have you logged or otherwise confirmed no boost leak? I know when i first installed VRSF IC+CP and flashed stage 1 i was really disappointed. The car didnt pull hard off the line or "surge" with torque when flooring it from idle. Turned out i had a boost leak. After if fixed all of that, throttle response/lag was dramatically improved and pretty much no different than stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
I have not done this as I feel that the car really explodes at 2k and above especially with the addition of the DP.
      02-27-2020, 04:37 PM   #32
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I have not done this as I feel that the car really explodes at 2k and above especially with the addition of the DP.
Let's see a 1-2-3-4 log from a dig (no launch, WOT from idle) and a 4th gear log from 2000 - 6500.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 12:58 AM   #33
Freestylerfalcon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 M340i

Quote:
Can you describe or quantify the amount of increased lag?
Is it very noticable or bothersome?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 11:49 AM   #34
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestylerfalcon View Post
IMO the lag increase form adding a 5.5'' stepped IC such as the VRSF, AA, etc, is nearly imperceptible compared to stock. I think he might be exaggerating (read: overly sensitive) and/or have an issue like a boost leak. I guess what i am saying is that you should not let fears of increased lag prevent you from making this important upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 02:24 PM   #35
Derekrpd
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestylerfalcon View Post
To clarify, I notice a bit of lag off idle until 1800-2K. I feel it is slightly more noticeable especially in comfort mode than sport. Most single turbo cars have some lag down low and I was warned about this when upgrading the IC to a large one than stock. I would not let it deter you from upgrading however. I'm hoping when I flash stage II it will not be an issue.
      03-11-2020, 11:33 PM   #36
Conr4d
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
My pleasure!

The best intercooler in every case is the intercooler that provides the best balance between keeping temps down, pressure air drop, temp recovery and weight.

a bigger intercooler might have a slightly higher pressure air drop (the better the intercooler design the smaller the difference is going to be), but it will provide much better cooling allowing the car to make more HP
Mike,

I am in the same position as johnung who posted earlier. Trying to avoid turbo lag and pressure drop. Looking to go FBO with BM3 Stage 2 93 octane. Mostly daily city driving with some spirited weekend driving. I don’t track or race the car. Only difference is I am based in Phoenix, AZ with a much warmer climate than NJ.

I am wondering if the Wagner EVO II Comp would be the best option for optimal cooling for my climate while still avoiding turbo lag/pressure drop? Or would I be better off with the EVO I Comp? Any reason to choose one over the other for my application?

Last edited by Conr4d; 03-12-2020 at 12:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 01:21 AM   #37
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conr4d View Post
Mike,

I am in the same position as johnung who posted earlier. Trying to avoid turbo lag and pressure drop. Looking to go FBO with BM3 Stage 2 93 octane. Mostly daily city driving with some spirited weekend driving. I don’t track or race the car. Only difference is I am based in Phoenix, AZ with a much warmer climate than NJ.

I am wondering if the Wagner EVO II Comp would be the best option for optimal cooling for my climate while still avoiding turbo lag/pressure drop? Or would I be better off with the EVO I Comp? Any reason to choose one over the other for my application?

If you’re stage 2 FBO - the Evo 1 is too small, and you should be looking at 6” cores like the Evo 2.

With that said, if you track the car, the Evo 2 is just too small to provide adequate cooling compared to other brands. If you don’t, it’s a solid choice.

Most brands do introduce much if any lag into the system, but I have heard good things about the Wagner overall in that department though.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 10:48 AM   #38
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Mike,

Wagner EVO II Comp is a very solid option. It provides the perfect balance between keeping temp a check and no turbo lag. Its also light and has a fast temp recovery after a pull

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 03:01 PM   #39
Conr4d
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Wagner EVO II Comp is a very solid option. It provides the perfect balance between keeping temp a check and no turbo lag. Its also light and has a fast temp recovery after a pull
AmuroRay & Mike,

Thanks for your guidance & expertise on this subject! Sounds like EVO II Comp it is.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 04:00 PM   #40
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
AmuroRay & Mike,

Thanks for your guidance & expertise on this subject! Sounds like EVO II Comp it is.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 06:14 PM   #41
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
AmuroRay & Mike,

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 09:07 PM   #42
Bluebeasty
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M sport FBO BM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpriest7893 View Post
I would say 5 or 6. I went with VRSF 5" HD. Some will say go 6. I daily my car and don't pull all the time and didn't wanna drop 600+ on intercooler. I am happy with my $350 VRSF
+1 for VRSF 5. I'm running BM3 stage 2 with catless and no lag at all...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 12:24 AM   #43
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeasty View Post

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 11:34 AM   #44
Tpriest7893
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i f30 N55 ( sold)

Garage List
  [0.00]
2012 bmw 335  [0.00]
02 2002 m3 Vert  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeasty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpriest7893 View Post
I would say 5 or 6. I went with VRSF 5" HD. Some will say go 6. I daily my car and don't pull all the time and didn't wanna drop 600+ on intercooler. I am happy with my $350 VRSF
Yeah man I love mine. For daily use and just over 300 bucks I'm happy!
Stock intake(had open before and was sick of noise)
BMS CP
550i 351m rims with 275/245 set up.
No tune as of yet.
Appreciate 0