F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMS Stage 1 General issues
Extreme Powerhouse

02-23-2020, 09:01 PM   #1
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 428 F32

BMS Stage 1 General issues

I just ordered my BMS stage 1 piggyback and I'm a little nervous after finding so many posts here about CEL issues.

I'm wondering what experience people have had. Are these CEL serious issues? Are they to be expected and mostly non significant issues which should be cleared with no action needed?

Definitely don't want to install this if it will cause my car to begin acting up. It's a 2015 428i with 51k miles. No issues thus far. Don't want to deal with new CELs every 200 miles. Is that what to expect?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 10:55 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

No issues, make sure it's installed correctly and enjoy

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
Yiolli25.50
      02-24-2020, 11:16 AM   #3
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuefordTjustice View Post
I never had a single CEL on n55 motor.
Hes not even an N55, he said 328...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 11:20 AM   #4
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

What CEL issues? Like any mod you only get a CEL if something is wrong that needs to be fixed. And once fixed CEL goes away.
Appreciate 1
Yiolli25.50
      02-24-2020, 11:42 AM   #5
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiolli View Post
I just ordered my BMS stage 1 piggyback and I'm a little nervous after finding so many posts here about CEL issues.

I'm wondering what experience people have had. Are these CEL serious issues? Are they to be expected and mostly non significant issues which should be cleared with no action needed?

Definitely don't want to install this if it will cause my car to begin acting up. It's a 2015 428i with 51k miles. No issues thus far. Don't want to deal with new CELs every 200 miles. Is that what to expect?
I've only heard of Check Engine Lights when someone didn't disconnect the battery negative terminal before they started unplugging engine sensors.
Tip: fold back seats forward and leave trunk open to assure battery access.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 09:43 PM   #6
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:

I've only heard of Check Engine Lights when someone didn't disconnect the battery negative terminal before they started unplugging engine sensors.
Interesting...I'll make sure to install correct. And yes I've heard of people getting locked out that way 😂 I'll be sure to keep the lid open
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 09:46 PM   #7
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuefordTjustice View Post
I never had a single CEL on n55 motor.
Sounds promising !
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 09:50 PM   #8
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
What CEL issues? Like any mod you only get a CEL if something is wrong that needs to be fixed. And once fixed CEL goes away.
I just want to make sure I don't I wake up a whole bunch of problems. Not really sure which ones but when I searched BMS in the malfunctions section I saw a whole bunch of people with issues so I just wanted to be sure that was a minority issue.

I'm rolling with completely stock n20 motor. At 51k miles I'm about to replace spark plugs for the first time. I'm going to reduce oil change intervals to 7,000 miles going forward. Also thinking about putting in an an aftermarket charge pipe to prevent any issues with the extra boost.

Anything else I should keep an eye on?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 09:54 PM   #9
perezr10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sedan

I've been using a Stage 1 for almost 3 years and never had any issues. It makes comfort mode useable.

Well, one issue is easy loss of traction in 1st gear.
Appreciate 1
Yiolli25.50
      02-27-2020, 10:29 PM   #10
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

Quote:
I just want to make sure I don't I wake up a whole bunch of problems. Not really sure which ones but when I searched BMS in the malfunctions section I saw a whole bunch of people with issues so I just wanted to be sure that was a minority issue.

I'm rolling with completely stock n20 motor. At 51k miles I'm about to replace spark plugs for the first time. I'm going to reduce oil change intervals to 7,000 miles going forward. Also thinking about putting in an an aftermarket charge pipe to prevent any issues with the extra boost.

Anything else I should keep an eye on?
The most cost effective thing to do and the best use of time is to just deal with any issues you have only IF you have any issues. You probably won't.
Appreciate 2
johnung4525.00
Yiolli25.50
      02-28-2020, 05:07 AM   #11
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezr10 View Post
I've been using a Stage 1 for almost 3 years and never had any issues. It makes comfort mode useable.

I like that issue! But interesting good to know! Installed last night and I'm getting anxiety over ruining my beautiful bmw😇
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 05:10 AM   #12
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

What potential problems could occur if the plastic covering (drivers side) is not quite as snug as originally ? When putting it back on I noticed that I swished the latches too far and it bent the plastic notches that are supposed to keep the nut in place. The cover is still snug but there are spots where water could probably get in. Am I overthinking it ?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 05:46 AM   #13
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What potential problems could occur if the plastic covering (drivers side) is not quite as snug as originally ? When putting it back on I noticed that I swished the latches too far and it bent the plastic notches that are supposed to keep the nut in place. The cover is still snug but there are spots where water could probably get in. Am I overthinking it ?
Photos may help to understand what you are describing
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 07:08 AM   #14
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep

Quote:

So true, after my first 2 drives comfort mode I feels more like sport mode usually does. I noticed on my drive to work this morning that my dashboard orange lights went extremely dim a couple times. Weird
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 10:06 AM   #15
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep

Blank

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I added pictures to what I'm talking about here. It seems like the slight curve in the plastic cover was build that way, but it doesn't seem to fit perfectly on the car?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 02:03 PM   #16
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

As I mentioned in your other post. Try posting these questions in the N20/N26 section
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 02:07 PM   #17
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Here's the picture. Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 02:11 PM   #18
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchi435i View Post
As I mentioned in your other post. Try posting these questions in the N20/N26 section
Understood. Just wanted to post the picture requested by John above
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 09:52 PM   #19
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Did you do anything to ensure the box doesn't get wet ?
Appreciate 0