F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Help! M4 Seats Retrofit to F30 - Seatbelts
Studio RSR

02-22-2020, 02:16 AM   #1
Jayden_F87
'20 M2 Comp.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2 Competition DCT

Garage List
Help! M4 Seats Retrofit to F30 - Seatbelts

Hi,
I just got M4 seats to swap out my M Sport front seats.
During the install I found out that the F82/F32 seatbelts are chassis mounted instead of seat mounted like my F30/F80, so there is no place for the seatbelts to be installed. Anyone know a way around it?
Attached Images

IG: @porky_m2c
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 01:39 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand.roh View Post
Hi,
During the install I found out that the F82/F32 seatbelts are chassis mounted instead of seat mounted like my F30/F80, so there is no place for the seatbelts to be installed. Anyone know a way around it?
Yes. The Coupe needs the front seats to fold forward like the Sedan. As thus, the Coupe must have the seatbelt mounted differently.

About your only choice is to buy F32/F82 seat belts on eBay and sell your F30 seatbelts.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=72_0803
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 01:56 AM   #3
Jayden_F87
'20 M2 Comp.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
Hi,
Yes. The Coupe needs the front seats to fold forward like the Sedan. As thus, the Coupe must have the seatbelt mounted differently.

About your only choice is to buy F32/F82 seat belts on eBay and sell your F30 seatbelts.

Do you know if F30 sedan has mounting holes on the floor(chasis)?

Here's a pic of a guy who mounted M4 seats on F30.. but idk how he managed to do so.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 09:58 AM   #4
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

Here's a pic of a guy who mounted M4 seats on F30.. but idk how he managed to do so.
Note this is opinion and it may or not work. I accept no responsibility if it does not work and it causes harm to you or anyone during a crash. So proceed at your own peril. The decision is strictly yours.

Because they are meant to hold in a crash, the F30/F32/F80/F82 uses heavy duty M10 bolts and torqued to exact specs. You can check and see if you could bolt your current seat belts ends through the same M10 bolt that holds the seat frame in place to the body of the car, though you might need a little long length M10 than the 28 that is already there to compensate for the extra width of the seat belt connector.

If yours will not work then you might need to look at the F32/F82 seatbelts. And those may or may not work either.

One could always drill a hole in your seat frame to insert a M10 nut and bolt, but as this will take significant stress during an accident, any drilling might weaken the seat structure of hold the seat belt securely causing you and/or your passenger significant harm.

As thus, I seriously would not consider this.

As you are in Southern California, if it were me, I'd take it into a race shop and have them determine what should be done, as I take safety equipment very seriously.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2020, 02:05 AM   #5
Jayden_F87
'20 M2 Comp.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

Note this is opinion and it may or not work. I accept no responsibility if it does not work and it causes harm to you or anyone during a crash. So proceed at your own peril. The decision is strictly yours.

Because they are meant to hold in a crash, the F30/F32/F80/F82 uses heavy duty M10 bolts and torqued to exact specs. You can check and see if you could bolt your current seat belts ends through the same M10 bolt that holds the seat frame in place to the body of the car, though you might need a little long length M10 than the 28 that is already there to compensate for the extra width of the seat belt connector.

If yours will not work then you might need to look at the F32/F82 seatbelts. And those may or may not work either.

One could always drill a hole in your seat frame to insert a M10 nut and bolt, but as this will take significant stress during an accident, any drilling might weaken the seat structure of hold the seat belt securely causing you and/or your passenger significant harm.

As thus, I seriously would not consider this.

As you are in Southern California, if it were me, I'd take it into a race shop and have them determine what should be done, as I take safety equipment very seriously.
I prioritize safety over anything else as well.
I wouldn't risk my life to just put nicer seats in my car.
Thanks for the input. I'll hit up studio rsr tomorrow and see what can be done.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 08:44 AM   #6
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

M4 Seats

If you decide to sell the M4 seats to get some M3 seats let me know I might be interested, depending on price.
      02-24-2020, 02:29 PM   #7
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
SELL THEM!!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 04:35 PM   #8
Jayden_F87
'20 M2 Comp.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick4345 View Post
SELL THEM!!
Seriously considering that option
The seats are in really good condition

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 04:40 PM   #9
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick4345 View Post
SELL THEM!!
Seriously considering that option
The seats are in really good condition
Can't go wrong in my eyes.

There are plenty of M2 or other 2 series coupes looking for them.

Take your money and buy yourself a set of F80 seats.