F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Jag XE P250 facelift anyone?
GetBMWParts

05-08-2021, 03:58 PM   #23
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Yes, the app gives you remote start and remote shut down and although it won't switch on the heated seats, if the temperature is 4 degrees or less, the heated rear window will come on as well.

The app records each trip you make, showing distance, average speed and average mpg, as well as time of start and time of finish, on a daily basis.

It also tells you where the car is, on a map. The first screen also shows mileage of the car, distance left in fuel tank, and temperature at the car and whether it's locked and alarmed and windows are closed.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 04:03 PM   #24
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
There has been much talk over the last couple of years in the XE forums about Jaguar "unreliability". The Ingenium petrol engine has been out for 3 or 4 years now and problems have been sorted for quite a while. Electric gremlins are very much reduced across the range and when I bought mine, it was without qualm in regards to reliability.

The consensus is that the facelift XE is way better than the pre-facelift with regard to reliability. One of the issues I picked up on when I joined the XE forum was that the stop/start was always playing up - or rather, not working, - but this is now a thing of the past as it only appeared to be an issue with pre-facelift cars. Mine has always worked.

I seriously wouldn't worry about reliability, especially when you read the posts in here concerning 2nd recalls with EGR faults and what have you. Typically, you only hear about faulty cars, not the vast majority that give no problem.

Also, I don't think the 3 series is an "all round" better car. If you listed the pros and cons between the two you would not produce a list that was overwhelming in the three's favour, I suspect.

e.g. all aluminium body, much more sophisticated suspension system (it can even take a kerbing at 45mph without damaging the suspension), miles cheaper, better leather trim, more toys without blowing the budget (love the clear view mirror), 16 way electric seats with memory (in mine at least - it's now specced as an extra), better steering, less crashy ride, more settled in poor road conditions (doesn't skip), it's better looking (opinion, I know), no hideous grilles going over the top of the bonnet line, genuine 50-50 weight distribution, not BMW's "nearly 50-50". I could go on, but I could also make a list in BMW's favour, TBH.
Cheers, Alan, useful and appreciated
      05-08-2021, 04:08 PM   #25
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
There has been much talk over the last couple of years in the XE forums about Jaguar "unreliability". The Ingenium petrol engine has been out for 3 or 4 years now and problems have been sorted for quite a while. Electric gremlins are very much reduced across the range and when I bought mine, it was without qualm in regards to reliability.

The consensus is that the facelift XE is way better than the pre-facelift with regard to reliability. One of the issues I picked up on when I joined the XE forum was that the stop/start was always playing up - or rather, not working, - but this is now a thing of the past as it only appeared to be an issue with pre-facelift cars. Mine has always worked.

I seriously wouldn't worry about reliability, especially when you read the posts in here concerning 2nd recalls with EGR faults and what have you. Typically, you only hear about faulty cars, not the vast majority that give no problem.
+1 for this.

One cautionary note I would advise for JLR would be not to dip in with a new model or infotainment in year 1.

The RRS I had was the MY18 LCI and it looked better and had the dual screen update but the screen and capacitive buttons on the steering had very minor issues with small functions not working about 1/30 times or so.

Experience this time around is 100% spot on and I've tried and used everything the car will do over and over. F Type proven, infotainment proven, same fo the XE now imHo.

PS does the XE have remote start from the APP too? Worth it for this alone vs a 3er

PPS Intended with humour, if you did have issues XE is almost the intro model so the loaners would be o ly onwards and upwards, Disco, RRS, XF and XE maybe
Haha, Chris, I like it, and another reason to get one - buy an XE and if it breaks down, you can always look forward to getting a quality loaner from higher up in the JLR range
      05-08-2021, 04:55 PM   #26
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D se auto sold, Macan S

Had the then model XE 2.0 petrol as an upgrade on a hire car in Finland in 2019 instead of a medium hatch back say Golf. A lot to like about it except interior and boot room did not cope well with 4 adults and luggage for 4 nights away. The F31 and G20's have a lot more room. The XE would be fine for carrying 2 adults with children in the back but that seat not a spot for adults.
Appreciate 2
      05-09-2021, 01:50 AM   #27
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgreenwood View Post
Had the then model XE 2.0 petrol as an upgrade on a hire car in Finland in 2019 instead of a medium hatch back say Golf. A lot to like about it except interior and boot room did not cope well with 4 adults and luggage for 4 nights away. The F31 and G20's have a lot more room. The XE would be fine for carrying 2 adults with children in the back but that seat not a spot for adults.
Sounds like you must have had a pre-facelift model if the interior wasn't up to much? Having sat in one, the refreshed interior is pretty good.
Rear space won't be an issue as it's only going to be two up front, kids long since flown the nest and very rare that I'll be taking rear passengers.
      05-09-2021, 02:53 AM   #28
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgreenwood View Post
Sounds like you must have had a pre-facelift model if the interior wasn't up to much? Having sat in one, the refreshed interior is pretty good.
Rear space won't be an issue as it's only going to be two up front, kids long since flown the nest and very rare that I'll be taking rear passengers.
Sounds like you need an Ftype then!
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2021, 09:46 AM   #29
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Damn. Just been told that Jaguar isn't building XEs at the moment because of a "shortage of parts"
      05-10-2021, 01:24 AM   #30
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Damn. Just been told that Jaguar isn't building XEs at the moment because of a "shortage of parts"
Indeed I though the same with the F Type.
Have a look at the 5 (yup just 5) P250s here, if any take your fancy start a conversation with the dealer but make sure you have some Whatcar prides first. 👍🏻
      05-10-2021, 02:30 AM   #31
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Have a look at the 5 (yup just 5) P250s here, if any take your fancy start a conversation with the dealer but make sure you have some Whatcar prides first.
Thanks Chris - there was no link though?
      05-10-2021, 03:25 AM   #32
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Have a look at the 5 (yup just 5) P250s here, if any take your fancy start a conversation with the dealer but make sure you have some Whatcar prides first.
Lol dammit forgot that Just go to the configurator and select the option for available stock. These are available to all dealers and I got 15% off the F Type on these. You get maybe a little more on the XE not sure. Factory orders were date ???? and maybe 12.% off.

Good luck!
      05-10-2021, 03:53 AM   #33
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Lol dammit forgot that Just go to the configurator and select the option for available stock. These are available to all dealers and I got 15% off the F Type on these. You get maybe a little more on the XE not sure. Factory orders were date ???? and maybe 12.% off.

Good luck!
      05-10-2021, 10:57 AM   #34
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Good luck!
if I can't get an XE, I suppose there's always the Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce
And why not?
      05-10-2021, 05:49 PM   #35
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
ralf speth ex bmw
Thierry bollore ex renault
bloody hell reading through their Wikipedia entries I'm liking speth more.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralf_Speth

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thierry_Bollor%C3%A9

From where I'm looking J seems to have been sacrificed to electrification and possible selloff so that LR can survive/thrive. Maybe I'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 03:30 AM   #36
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Am also now considering an Alfa Giulia Veloce - the 280ps 2.0L RWD version - which reviewers say drives very nicely. Compact, light and pretty quick. Interior quality has been improved in the facelift, as I understand it. Trying to get a test drive.
      05-13-2021, 11:50 AM   #37
Cootie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Xdrive with ACS Springs

Quote:
Am also now considering an Alfa Giulia Veloce - the 280ps 2.0L RWD version - which reviewers say drives very nicely. Compact, light and pretty quick. Interior quality has been improved in the facelift, as I understand it. Trying to get a test drive.
Will be very interested to hear your thoughts. Only around 1400kg and with 280bhp performance is closer to a Mk7 Golf R than it is to a 330i. Sub 5 seconds 30-70, which is my measure of a brisk car.
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2021, 12:39 PM   #38
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
Will be very interested to hear your thoughts. Only around 1400kg and with 280bhp performance is closer to a Mk7 Golf R than it is to a 330i. Sub 5 seconds 30-70, which is my measure of a brisk car.
Struggling to get a test drive of the Veloce so settling for the XE P250, which I'm testing next week.
And If I do end up getting one, there's a highly rated Jag authorised service only outfit just 3 miles from my house, if things did go t*ts up!?
      05-26-2021, 11:49 AM   #39
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Test drove an XE P250 for an hour today. Handsome car. The drivetrain was good, not amazing but good. The ride and steering were okay but not as impressive as I thought they'd be after all the +ve reviews I'd read. The interior was a disappointment, and maybe other seat and headlining colour combos work better than all black. However, it felt cramped and claustrophobic to drive for my 6ft2in frame.
Back to the drawing board in my search for a premium and affordable petrol car which won't get stolen from my drive the day after I buy it :
      05-26-2021, 12:15 PM   #40
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Test drove an XE P250 for an hour today. Handsome car. The drivetrain was good, not amazing but good. The ride and steering were okay but not as impressive as I thought they'd be after all the +ve reviews I'd read. The interior was a disappointment, and maybe other seat and headlining colour combos work better than all black. However, it felt cramped and claustrophobic to drive for my 6ft2in frame.
Back to the drawing board in my search for a premium and affordable petrol car which won't get stolen from my drive the day after I buy it :
Hmm Volvos and Alfa's maybe come into play then.

Must be a saloon?
      05-26-2021, 12:25 PM   #41
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hmm Volvos and Alfa's maybe come into play then.

Must be a saloon?
Doesn't have to be a saloon, Chris, but useable rear seats are a must, although they won't be used that often. Definitely DON'T want an SUV. Would prefer something reasonably compact. 250bhp would be about right.

PS There isn't a lot of choice.
      05-26-2021, 12:41 PM   #42
DougMcL
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 40e, Honda Jazz Hybrid

E class Merc like touringpleb? Coupe version if you want style... The 3 litre biturbo petrol V6 is a peach...
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2021, 12:54 PM   #43
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMcL View Post
E class Merc like touringpleb? Coupe version if you want style... The 3 litre biturbo petrol V6 is a peach...
E class Merc is nice but way too big for what I'm after. I want something compact with four useable seats which is fun to drive and isn't a thief magnet.
      05-26-2021, 02:08 PM   #44
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

I think if you want comfy with a pleasant interior and 250 ish hp then a V60 B5P R Design pro might fit the bill. No self respecting thief would pick a Volvo..

Or maybe a wild card, a 330e Touring...?
Appreciate 1