F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > F3X Alpine HiFi retrofit - disappointing
ARMA SPEED

05-14-2021, 05:16 PM   #1
Kieral
Rep
Drives: '09 320d e91 MSport

F3X Alpine HiFi retrofit - disappointing

SHORT VERSION:

I've done the F30 Alpine Hifi upgrade on the base audio HU_CHAMP2/ENTRY system. Coded via E-SYS. It's massively disappointing. (have not upgraded the 6.5" subs yet).

I have done the same thing on an E9x and it was amazing, but the Alpine kit is also noticeably higher quality on the E9x

Question: Is the HU_CHAMP2 output gargabe?. Would retrofitting an ENTRY2 / NBT / EVO system A. Work with the Alpine kit, and B. Yeild any improvement? Other things to try: using HiHi 676 instead of HO_Wort Alpine in coding, and/or upgrade the 6.5 subs to 8".

Thoughts? Anyone done the kit, then added subs or a different HU later and notice any difference?

LONG VERSION.

I did the Alpine HiHi upgrade of the base audio in my E91 LCI years back and it was AMAZING! totally transformed the audio.

I just completed the same upgrade on my '14 F30 320d Base Audio (2 subs, 4 speakers all powered by the head unit, no tweeters). I coded the HU_CHAMP2/ENTRY HO_Wert HiFi / Apline Retrofit

... now, comparing the official Alpine retrofit kits between the E9x and F3x, it is immediately obvious the E9x kit is a higher quality kit. That said I'm shocked how average the Alpine F3x kit is and the only explanation I can think of is they didn't want it to be better than the HK or B&O systems.

I've not changed the subs yet, I have the 4ohm HK subs and enclosures ordered - yes I realise the Alpine amp expects 2ohm, I did the same on the E91 and it was fine. I'm really hoping that improves things. The mids-range in particular are muddy and weak. Apart from the tweeters lifting the sound stage, it's basically the same quality, only you can go louder without it getting worse.

Last edited by Kieral; 05-14-2021 at 05:24 PM..
Appreciate 0