F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 N55 stuttering before shutting off in 'N'
ARMA SPEED

02-08-2021, 10:18 AM   #1
Issa.M
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i xdrive (F30)

F30 N55 stuttering before shutting off in 'N'

Hi, I was driving my f30 335i xdrive and I parked the car to run into a store and left the car running, 2 minutes later I come out and there is light smoke coming from the kidney grilles, I open the hood and the smoke went away and I didn't smell anything. The car temp was at its optimal temp, not overheating or anything. Anyways, I go to another store shut the car off and it turned off no problem, everything was fine. I get home and decide to put the car in N and pull the parking brake thinking the car will automatically go in to Park. I turned the car off in N and the engine started to stutter at around 500 RPM for a second then shut off but never went into P, I had to manually press P. I turned the car on with the hood open and here a small ticking sound and I am not sure if that's normal or not as I recently got the car. If anything strange happens again I'll take it to BMW so they can take a look. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 10:29 AM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Remote diagnostics are rarely helpful without additional data. Can you share more information?

- Current mileage
- Did you have a chance to scan for any stored fault codes?
- Any tunes present?
- How often was the oil changed?
- Maintenance history: spark plugs, ignition coils ...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 10:32 AM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

An OBD diagnostic tool is a must have item. When you take the car to the dealer it's the first thing they use, and they'll charge you $150 to do so. FWIW I never put the car in neutral. I turn off the engine while still in D or R, the car puts it in P.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 11:40 AM   #4
Issa.M
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i xdrive (F30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Remote diagnostics are rarely helpful without additional data. Can you share more information?

- Current mileage
- Did you have a chance to scan for any stored fault codes?
- Any tunes present?
- How often was the oil changed?
- Maintenance history: spark plugs, ignition coils ...
Current mileage on the car 74.8k I bought the car with 72.6k miles and they preformed an oil change and vehicle inspection. No mods on the car as far as performance is concerned, just a resonator and muffler delete. I have the FIXD tool I will plug that in to see in there are any codes. Also when I cold start there is a rattle on the front right side of the car, I was reading that it could be the waste-gate, I'll try to include a video. I also put 93 gas and used fuel injector cleaner about 1.5k miles ago. Spark plugs I am not sure when they've been changed so I'm going to do that soon.
Appreciate 0