F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Aftermarket drop in airfilter for n55 MPPK airbox
ARMA SPEED

05-07-2021, 10:49 PM   #45
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvac View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
air box filter is not restrictive.
Not substantially, no. This point has already been established by many good members of this forum. I mainly like the lifetime filters for their washable, reusable aspect. I don't like waste, whether it's paper, plastic or whatever. I always prefer reuse over replace. But there was a noticeable difference in throttle response under acceleration, just as there was in all the other cars I've used them on over the years. The car just feels a bit lighter, easier to rev. Some people say it's all in your head, but this time I have the engine's sensors to back up my butt dyno. Clearly the maf sensor feels the extra airflow, whether needed or not, hence the code it's throwing. I've reverted to the oe filter for the third time now, and the behavior disappeared as expected. And I still haven't cleaned or touched the maf sensor at all. So I guess I'll stick with the oe filter for now. Maybe one day if I hit the lotto I'll give the afe dry filter a try...
I have been using the drop-in aFe Pro Dry air filter in my M Performance Intake box for two years. Washable and reusable. Very happy with it.

I felt the exact same bump in performance that you described very well. I've never gotten a code from it. I'd suggest that you clean or replace your MAF sensor if you are getting codes. A quality drop-in filter like aFe or K&N should not cause a code.
***Update : removed the maf sensor and gave it a proper cleaning even though it looked pristine. Reinstalled everything and, bam. Check engine light after the first moderate acceleration lol. For now I left it as is, since the performance and gas mileage seem normal. I'm half hoping it clears on its own. Anyone have any other ideas? I was reading about resetting the maf adaptation and I believe my foxwell scanner can do so, but I think this process is only needed when you install a new maf sensor. I don't want to make the situation any worse for no good reason.

Thanks, I suppose I could give cleaning a try, it's just annoying. I'm only at 35000 miles and running the closed stock intake all along. And it's not like I live in the dust bowl or anything. This turned into more hassle than I needed for a "drop-in" filter. Maybe I should just learn to leave well enough alone.
Just for fun I removed the Mppk airbox and put back the original one. Then I tried the k&n filter again and everything has been fine for a few days now. So it seems I can use the k&n, or the Mppk airbox, but not both.
I use the K&N filter in my MPPK air box with no issues at all. Did you buy it used? Maybe it was over oiled?
No, it's brand new, and I made sure to let it sit out for a couple of days and wiped off any excess oil from the edges. I've never had a problem with these filters before, and the car's been running fine with it since I removed the Mppk airbox, going on a week now. It just doesn't like all 3 mods together for some reason. Any 2 of the 3 is ok, but not all 3. I don't know what to make of it.
      05-11-2021, 08:15 AM   #46
okla_m2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
+1 on the Drop-In aFe Pro Dry S air filter. I'm running it in my MPPK airbox (basically the same airbox but with a small hole drilled in it..)

Would also recommend you clean your MAF sensor w/ MAF cleaner. You can get the cleaner at any auto parts store (CRC is the brand). Bottle is ~10 bucks. Would highly recommend first part of troubleshooting any CEL related to MAF sensors is to clean it first.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 10:59 AM   #47
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I recently did a 5K mile used oil analysis and ran my AFe dry panel air filter the entire time. Although I've owned the filter since 2017, I've installed and uninstalled it a number of times over the years and it has about 20K miles on it.

The good news is that the filter appears to work fine. Teamed with the MPPK/M2 lower airbox (has a large opening in the front) you can hear a bit more diverter valve noise (I have the stock diverter). As noted, I've installed/uninstalled the filter a number of times. My biggest issue with the filter is that the motor sounds a bit strained and less smooth with the AFe filter. I also think it makes driving the 6MT smooth a bit more difficult in 1st and on shifts. I believe the issue is the extra flow and the MAF not liking it. It's never thrown a code.

My mods are the MPPK/M2 airbox, FTP charge pipe, Wagner Competition EVO I intercooler, HJS Euro 6 catted downpipe, Dinantronics Stage 2 piggyback, and the MP exhaust. I'm currently running a newer OEM paper air filter and much prefer it.
Attached Images

05-12-2021, 09:11 AM   #48
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I recently did a 5K mile used oil analysis and ran my AFe dry panel air filter the entire time. Although I've owned the filter since 2017, I've installed and uninstalled it a number of times over the years and it has about 20K miles on it.

The good news is that the filter appears to work fine. Teamed with the MPPK/M2 lower airbox (has a large opening in the front) you can hear a bit more diverter valve noise (I have the stock diverter). As noted, I've installed/uninstalled the filter a number of times. My biggest issue with the filter is that the motor sounds a bit strained and less smooth with the AFe filter. I also think it makes driving the 6MT smooth a bit more difficult in 1st and on shifts. I believe the issue is the extra flow and the MAF not liking it. It's never thrown a code.

My mods are the MPPK/M2 airbox, FTP charge pipe, Wagner Competition EVO I intercooler, HJS Euro 6 catted downpipe, Dinantronics Stage 2 piggyback, and the MP exhaust. I'm currently running a newer OEM paper air filter and much prefer it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookayy View Post
+1 on the Drop-In aFe Pro Dry S air filter. I'm running it in my MPPK airbox (basically the same airbox but with a small hole drilled in it..)

Would also recommend you clean your MAF sensor w/ MAF cleaner. You can get the cleaner at any auto parts store (CRC is the brand). Bottle is ~10 bucks. Would highly recommend first part of troubleshooting any CEL related to MAF sensors is to clean it first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post

Thanks guys. I did do the maf sensor cleansing, it made no difference. The car runs fine with the k&n and stock airbox, or the oem filter/Mppk airbox combo, and drives roughly the same either way. I also have the Dinan stage 2 piggyback, and can't make much sense of the issue beyond this. I guess I just have to decide if I want to keep the airbox or the k&n and ditch the other one. I've spent more than enough time troubleshooting the setup already.
      05-12-2021, 11:36 AM   #49
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Thanks guys. I did do the maf sensor cleansing, it made no difference. The car runs fine with the k&n and stock airbox, or the oem filter/Mppk airbox combo, and drives roughly the same either way. I also have the Dinan stage 2 piggyback, and can't make much sense of the issue beyond this. I guess I just have to decide if I want to keep the airbox or the k&n and ditch the other one. I've spent more than enough time troubleshooting the setup already.
Ditch the K&N and stick with an OEM filter and the MPPK. Or you could buy an AFe filter and run the MPPK. IMO, the car runs better with the OEM filter.
      05-12-2021, 11:50 AM   #50
Canadared
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i F30

Shouldn't be using an oiled filter anyways, dry is the way to go on these cars
Appreciate 1