F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > F32 AWE vs Borla ATAK Catback?
Studio RSR

01-25-2020, 10:51 AM   #23
F36GC_NYC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 435GC xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel335 View Post
Comfort is the worst thing ever in this exhaust. The resonance or drone of the exhaust at low speed, low rpm's vibrates the entire rear of the car.

The WOT in sport is great, but I don't live in WOT Sport. This exhaust should have came with a valved option.
what about cars that already come with a valve, can the awe not utilize that?
      01-25-2020, 03:32 PM   #24
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F36GC_NYC View Post
what about cars that already come with a valve, can the awe not utilize that?
AWE does not use a valve period. Both sides are open all time

They have a bracket on DS that you bolt your valve motor to, but its just a placeholder so that motor is still plugged in. It is totally non functional there is no actual valve for the motor to acuate...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 03:46 PM   #25
F36GC_NYC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 435GC xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
AWE does not use a valve period. Both sides are open all time

They have a bracket on DS that you bolt your valve motor to, but its just a placeholder so that motor is still plugged in. It is totally non functional there is no actual valve for the motor to acuate...
oh wow, so its open 24/7. i thought if you car came with the value open/close feature, it would be able to retain that feature..... hmmmm interesting..
      02-26-2020, 10:43 AM   #26
HotTea69
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 AW M-Sport

AWE > Borla imo, had mine on for 50k miles and not a day does it not bring a smile from ear to ear

AWE Cat Back | BBS - LM | CF M Mirror Caps | CF M Trunk Spoiler | CF R-Style Rear Diffuser | ER Charge Pipe | ER Down Pipe | ER Front Mount Intercooler | Enzo Tuned | Injen SR Intake | M Front Grill
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 09:11 PM   #27
rogerdiaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

What kind of difference (sound or performance) only with the awe exhaust minus midpipe?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 04:00 PM   #28
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW S1000XR

Anybody in SoCal with either the AWE or Borla exhaust? Looking into either exhaust but not looking for anything loud or crazy.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 04:45 PM   #29
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrichierich View Post
Anybody in SoCal with either the AWE or Borla exhaust? Looking into either exhaust but not looking for anything loud or crazy.
ozymandias435 had the borla for a long time, and just today he removed it for a MPE because it was becoming too loud. IIRC he tried AWE and it was even louder and he said it basically 'droned him out of the car'. He's running fabspeed catted DP. Not sure what you are running.
Appreciate 2
      11-13-2020, 05:00 PM   #30
ozymandias435
F36 GC
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Hey man. Borla S type with stock downpipe is an excellent combination. I ran that for about 15 months before installing downpipe for more performance/tuning. After that it became very loud but still nice for awhile. The cold starts became louder and louder over time and I wanted a change. I have tried the AWE with aftermarket downpipe as well and it was unbearably loud and drone-y. I just installed MPE with the same Fabspeed Sport Cat and it sounds very nice and refined. Wanted to be a better neighbor with my 6am cold starts every morning and was looking for an exhaust with less volume and crisp sound. Happy to help and answer any questions.
Appreciate 2
      11-13-2020, 06:01 PM   #31
NEWTRON
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32 435i

Quote:
I have the borla atak catback with a catless downpipe and its loud an crazy. I would stay away from awe or borla if you dont want loud or crazy. look into mpe
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2020, 06:08 PM   #32
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

If you have a DP, especially catless, consider res delete with stock axleback or go MPE with resonator in place.

Here's my before and after with fabspeed catted. Stock burbles.

Appreciate 1
      11-14-2020, 10:31 AM   #33
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW S1000XR

So you guys basically answered my question. How loud is it.

One of the things I liked about the high end performance exhaust for motorcycles (Akrapovic, Arrow, Termigoni and etc) is that during idle and cruising speed, it had a slightly more aggressive growl/tone to it. But when WOT, that’s where the loud and unique sounds were magnified.

I definitely don’t want something loud for the mornings, especially where for where I’m at because for some reason these new track homes have super thin walls. Looking for something that’s throaty at idle and cruising speeds.

I will will definitely look into res delete and MPE. I currently have a catless ER which sounds good as is, but would like a little more umph.
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2020, 01:14 PM   #34
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So you guys basically answered my question. How loud is it.

One of the things I liked about the high end performance exhaust for motorcycles (Akrapovic, Arrow, Termigoni and etc) is that during idle and cruising speed, it had a slightly more aggressive growl/tone to it. But when WOT, that’s where the loud and unique sounds were magnified.

I definitely don’t want something loud for the mornings, especially where for where I’m at because for some reason these new track homes have super thin walls. Looking for something that’s throaty at idle and cruising speeds.

I will will definitely look into res delete and MPE. I currently have a catless ER which sounds good as is, but would like a little more umph.
If you are already catless, definitely chose one or the other (res delete with stock exhaust or keep resonator with MPE). Either one is going to make it a bit more raspy. Based on the videos Ozy just sent me with his MPE, i would say as compared to the res delete, the MPE gives a bit more volume and deeper growl, whereas the res delete (with stock muffler) gave me a bit more turbo noise and burble volume (stock settings) while keeping the exhaust note more tame.
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2020, 03:08 PM   #35
ozymandias435
F36 GC
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
If you are already catless, definitely chose one or the other (res delete with stock exhaust or keep resonator with MPE). Either one is going to make it a bit more raspy. Based on the videos Ozy just sent me with his MPE, i would say as compared to the res delete, the MPE gives a bit more volume and deeper growl, whereas the res delete (with stock muffler) gave me a bit more turbo noise and burble volume (stock settings) while keeping the exhaust note more tame.
itsrichierich I really enjoy the MPE which is what I have now paired with the Fabspeed Sport Cat. Nice grumble upon startup but not excessive to be a bad neighbor. When cruising it is there but not overbearing and when in full throttle it sounds excellent and mean. The MPE + downpipe seems to fit the car and engine more in my opinion. The Borla and AWE almost made car sound a little too much like a V8 and a little too much "look at me". I have video of Borla if you want to hear and could get a video of MPE whenever?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 11:30 PM   #36
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i Xdrive MSport

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
I live right by AWE's manufacturing facility and headquarters, so I bought their full system with the midpipe (so catback) and its a very quiet system with a stock downpipe while normal driving but screams at full throttle and is loud on coldstart. It's hand built and made to order right in the U.S. I'd 100% get AWE.
      11-15-2020, 01:31 PM   #37
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 435i_Phil View Post
I live right by AWE's manufacturing facility and headquarters, so I bought their full system with the midpipe (so catback) and its a very quiet system with a stock downpipe while normal driving but screams at full throttle and is loud on coldstart. It's hand built and made to order right in the U.S. I'd 100% get AWE.
As mentioned above, AWE is made to be paired with stock DP, which is what you have. itsrichierich has a catless, so its going to be MUCH louder than what you have, and even louder than what Ozy experienced with fabspeed catted. Telling someone to get the exhaust to pair with a catless DP based on your experience with OEM DP is not a good recommendation.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 04:20 PM   #38
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i Xdrive MSport

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
As mentioned above, AWE is made to be paired with stock DP, which is what you have. itsrichierich has a catless, so its going to be MUCH louder than what you have, and even louder than what Ozy experienced with fabspeed catted. Telling someone to get the exhaust to pair with a catless DP based on your experience with OEM DP is not a good recommendation.
Bro, I was answering based off the original starter of this thread, not someone in the comments. I see this is old, so it's irrelevant.
      11-15-2020, 04:45 PM   #39
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Bro, I was answering based off the original starter of this thread, not someone in the comments. I see this is old, so it's irrelevant.
No need to get defensive, just making the distinction that exhaust volume/tone/etc will vary significantly depending on DP, so you must consider the DP when giving/taking recommendations, listening to videos, etc. Important for anyone who comes along reading this thread trying to inform their exhaust decision. You just jumped in when the thread was bumped with a more recent question. But thanks for clarifying.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2021, 04:58 PM   #40
argough
Registered
Rep
Drives: Chevy Silverado

Quote:
No need to get defensive, just making the distinction that exhaust volume/tone/etc will vary significantly depending on DP, so you must consider the DP when giving/taking recommendations, listening to videos, etc. Important for anyone who comes along reading this thread trying to inform their exhaust decision. You just jumped in when the thread was bumped with a more recent question. But thanks for clarifying.
I’m looking at the same exhausts. For reference I just installed a 4 inch catless downpipe. I’m wanting a sound that will turn heads for sure,but I also don’t want a straight pipe. Thoughts?
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2021, 07:20 PM   #41
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by argough View Post
I’m looking at the same exhausts. For reference I just installed a 4 inch catless downpipe. I’m wanting a sound that will turn heads for sure,but I also don’t want a straight pipe. Thoughts?
You're question is too general and exhausts are a matter of personal preference. If you are catless on stock exhaust, how much more do you want? Step 1 could be a resonator delete with stock muffler and catless DP to see if it gets you what you want for ~100$. Most aftermarket exhausts are quite loud with catless DP and some drone if they were made to be paired with OEM DP.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 05:34 PM   #42
Bloom_435i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' 435i xdrive

My Borla atak exhaust comes in two days. I'll post of video of it when I install it.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 11:09 PM   #43
5w20
@_sunbish
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i & 340i

Corsa has always sounded good on any V8, I wonder how it sounds on a F3x vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 09:11 AM   #44
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5w20 View Post
Corsa has always sounded good on any V8, I wonder how it sounds on a F3x vehicle.
Its okay but not top 5 in my opinion

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0