F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > New car time - X5
GetBMWParts

09-16-2020, 04:18 AM   #23
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
Don't like Audi or RR to be honest. You're also forgetting the level of discount on the X5 although the lower GFV makes up for that in a negative way, I suppose.

I really don't like diesels and will never go back to the devil's piss again. One of my concerns with that is that mine and wife's families are inside the North Circular boundary in London and I can see even Euro6d or whatever being made to pay to go into that area in 1-2 years.

I am speccing this as potential keeper, hence the options.
If it’s a keeper then that’s different altogether I guess.

I’ve learnt that almost nothing is a keeper, jaded by this site. So many people spec up a keeper and then it’s replaced within 2 years with the next keeper.

There are a few exceptions for that obviously, MashinBenzin seems to be a genuine car keeper. It’s just with his current choice the cars don’t seem to want to stay with him
Appreciate 5
Firaxis265.50
sahajesh2290.00
Sennen1721.50
KRS_SN13104.50
      09-16-2020, 04:21 AM   #24
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
I would be asking myself will i get £300 per month benefit from those options. for that sort of money you could keep the X5 bone stock and get a lovely MX5 or 3 weeks in the Caribbean each year.

3k on an upgraded sound system is faintly ridiculous but i suppose if Music is your pleasure and you are beating up and down the motorway 5 days a week it could appeal to some.

My FFRR was bone stock and i never found it wanting for anything whereas my M2 Comp which was a stock car is fully loaded with the exception of a sunroof and none of it brings anything to the party.

I think the Japs have the right idea by including everything in the price, it must be cheaper to manufacture and takes away the temptation from people who dont know when to stop ticking boxes.
They have the right idea for the customer, but maybe not the profits. Different ways of doing it I guess, everything the same keeps the production cost down. But with the massive discounts on BMW’s, the options must make them a tidy profit, to make up for the slim margin in the car itself.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 04:24 AM   #25
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Your options are small then. Let’s hope nothing changes to make a keeper become a seller...

Fair point on diesel in London given the need to raise cash - but they will probably ban petrol at the same time as they don’t think these things through...
Yes as i mentioned in the other thread i am struggling to understand every ones eagerness to go on a spending spree at the moment.

I am lucky enough not to be dependent on the whims of an Employer and i am tightening the purse strings and bracing for the shit storm that is looming on the horizon.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 04:25 AM   #26
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Quote:
Go on I will go there.... 40i in the X5? Not fancying the M50d?

I am not sure diesel is dead when it comes to big SUVs but if I was playing the green card I would go 45e...

I would also be thinking that £18k on extras is a lot - £300 a month over 4 years even being kind on GFV impact. At that level I would probably be looking at RRS autobiography but most likely an SQ7 vorsprung...
Wow, is that how much the extras add up to?

Usually it’s about £20 for every £100 of options, like you say, assuming some add GFV value and some don’t.

Although, that said, the Mini options added only about £13 per £1k though the Park Lane Scheme as they were so heavily discounted.

As Sennen said, at that kind of money I’d be looking at something a little more special. £700 a month starting point for the payments before options, so without increasing deposit, which you could do with any of the other cars, you’ll be well north of £900 a month.
The point is that the X5 does become special with those options added. When speccing a car for the long run, which is what the OP is doing, it's important to get it just so. He will have a genuine luxury car that will feel that way for many many years.

It's quite easy to say get something more special. But what exactly is there south of 100k? He already says he does not like RR. Some would say Cayenne, but that's way less special in bare bones form than an optioned X5 imho. And it would be in bare bones form at a similar price.

I think the X7 I drove had most of the bits mentioned and it was a very nice place to be.

I'd put a FFRR autobiography as more special, but not to his tastes and a different price bracket. After that it's the Bentayga....

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 04:31 AM   #27
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
The point is that the X5 does become special with those options added. When speccing a car for the long run, which is what the OP is doing, it's important to get it just so. He will have a genuine luxury car that will feel that way for many many years.

It's quite easy to say get something more special. But what exactly is there south of 100k? He already says he does not like RR. Some would say Cayenne, but that's way less special in bare bones form than an optioned X5 imho. And it would be in bare bones form at a similar price.

I think the X7 I drove had most of the bits mentioned and it was a very nice place to be.

I'd put a FFRR autobiography as more special, but not to his tastes and a different price bracket. After that it's the Bentayga....
It all depends what you consider special. To most a stock X5 is pretty special. It’s all subjective.

Our Q7 only has the leather and wheels upgraded, everything else is stock. And I’d have probably taken it totally stock had they had one available.

And it feels pretty special every time I get in it.

I get that it’s the OP’s car, but to be fair, the OP in his first post said he would be ok to drop some of the options, so I think it’s ok to suggest it may be over specced in some people’s opinions.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 04:40 AM   #28
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
It all depends what you consider special. To most a stock X5 is pretty special. It's all subjective.

Our Q7 only has the leather and wheels upgraded, everything else is stock. And I'd have probably taken it totally stock had they had one available.

And it feels pretty special every time I get in it.
I get that completely. I had inferred that people were saying that even an optioned X5 was not special enough. My view is simply that it is and is worth the price that it commands, and is worth the delta between that price and base price.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 04:58 AM   #29
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quick Q - what does the FF part mean re FFRR - RR is Range Rover but never known what FF is.

To be fair, I've never been in a Range Rover so I may as well try one to see what they are like
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 05:01 AM   #30
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

How many times have i heard people saying there next car will be a Keeper only to change it for the next 'latest and greatest' within the blink of an eye.

I am as guilty, certainly with the Cayman R i had every intention of keeping it for years but it was gone within 24 months..... the Lotus did last 6 years though.

Of course the OP could be one of the rare breed on here that can resist the latest temptation, time will tell, if he isnt he will take a proper bath on 18k of options however 'special' it makes the car feel.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 05:02 AM   #31
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quick Q - what does the FF part mean re FFRR - RR is Range Rover but never known what FF is.

To be fair, I've never been in a Range Rover so I may as well try one to see what they are like
Its the big Kahuna...... the proper Range Rover
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 05:17 AM   #32
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

As others have said you should try the Full Fat Range Rover especially as 18k of options on the X5 will probably push you into FFRR territory.

I got one for my wife in 2017 shortly before she passed away and my son now has it.

The ride is sublime but I hated the imperious image it purveyed which didnt sit well with me, my son loves it though as do Celebs and Yummy Mummies which probably says something!!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 05:24 AM   #33
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

As others have said you should try the Full Fat Range Rover especially as 18k of options on the X5 will probably push you into FFRR territory.

I got one for my wife in 2017 shortly before she passed away and my son now has it.

The ride is sublime but I hated the imperious image it purveyed which didnt sit well with me, my son loves it though as do Celebs and Yummy Mummies which probably says something!!
You have hit the nail firmly on the head re FFRR - image.

I think the X5 has a better image than the peers I have mentally cross-shopped with - others may disagree though!
Appreciate 1
dazzapb1045.50
      09-16-2020, 05:27 AM   #34
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Let's be honest, all of us buying brand new cars, stock or not, are taking baths on a regular basis.

Those swapping sooner than the original PCP lengths even more so, and those putting lots of extras on, again more so.

Who cares though? Life's short, spend your money however it makes you happy. As long as you family is looked after then all of the rest is just icing on the cake.

On the subject of car stereos... HK should be standard as it's really very mediocre. The idea that there is a worse option is hard to believe. If you look at the speakers it comes with you'll see they must coat a few pounds each. :
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 2
mcoops1757.00
      09-16-2020, 05:30 AM   #35
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

Quote:
Quote:
Here goes....

40i M Sport
Visibility Pack with Laserlights (pity no actual lasers to get rid of middle-lane hoggers)
Technology Pack
Comfort Plus Pack
M Sport Pack - possibly with the 21" wheels but will change tyres to non-RFT soon as, or get the 22" and leave the non-RFTs on
Integral Active Steering (Marmite but people I trust have said this is worth getting)
Acoustic Glazing
Sky Lounge shiny sunroof
Crafted Clarity (who chose that name??)
Leather instrument panel
Travel and Comfort System
Fineline Stripe brown trim
Extended Coffee/Black seats (but may choose Ivory White)
Driving Assistant Pro
Tanzanite Blue or Carbon Black

Let the forum commence and comment.

Some of these options I could be OK to drop but I'm not saying which

I am not sure diesel is dead when it comes to big SUVs but if I was playing the green card I would go 45e...

I would also be thinking that £18k on extras is a lot - £300 a month over 4 years even being kind on GFV impact. At that level I would probably be looking at RRS autobiography but most likely an SQ7 vorsprung...
You'd have to go for a stock car if you want the M50d...that engine choice has gone from the range, much like the death of the diesel in the SQ7.

Your point stands though...the engine you want is the 40d (340hp mild hybrid) or the 45e if you're doing a lot of short journeys where you'll get the benefit of the battery range.

OP - I'm assuming the incentives / discounts are better on the 40i given it probably is a niche choice for a big SUV?
      09-16-2020, 05:30 AM   #36
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
How many times have i heard people saying there next car will be a Keeper only to change it for the next 'latest and greatest' within the blink of an eye.

I am as guilty, certainly with the Cayman R i had every intention of keeping it for years but it was gone within 24 months..... the Lotus did last 6 years though.

Of course the OP could be one of the rare breed on here that can resist the latest temptation, time will tell, if he isnt he will take a proper bath on 18k of options however 'special' it makes the car feel.
I've got this on a 4 year PCP and it will definitely last the term - hopefully beyond that but for sure it will be 4 years.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 05:33 AM   #37
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

I think the X5 has a better image than the peers I have mentally cross-shopped with - others may disagree though!
I think it also makes a difference where you live. We live on a 1980’s estate in a medium sized 4 bed detached.

I think a Q7 or an X5 looks ok, I think a FFRR would look a bit like we should move to a nicer house instead.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 05:33 AM   #38
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCH1984 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Here goes....

40i M Sport
Visibility Pack with Laserlights (pity no actual lasers to get rid of middle-lane hoggers)
Technology Pack
Comfort Plus Pack
M Sport Pack - possibly with the 21" wheels but will change tyres to non-RFT soon as, or get the 22" and leave the non-RFTs on
Integral Active Steering (Marmite but people I trust have said this is worth getting)
Acoustic Glazing
Sky Lounge shiny sunroof
Crafted Clarity (who chose that name??)
Leather instrument panel
Travel and Comfort System
Fineline Stripe brown trim
Extended Coffee/Black seats (but may choose Ivory White)
Driving Assistant Pro
Tanzanite Blue or Carbon Black

Let the forum commence and comment.

Some of these options I could be OK to drop but I'm not saying which

You'd have to go for a stock car if you want the M50d...that engine choice has gone from the range, much like the death of the diesel in the SQ7.

Your point stands though...the engine you want is the 40d (340hp mild hybrid) or the 45e if you're doing a lot of short journeys where you'll get the benefit of the battery range.

OP - I'm assuming the incentives / discounts are better on the 40i given it probably is a niche choice for a big SUV?
I didn't check on the 45e incentives - I had mentally discarded it as it wasn't a full-fat B58 (yeah I know, not a great reason!).

A valid query and I will ask PL for similar on the 45e, out of interest if nothing else.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 05:37 AM   #39
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I agree to a certain extent, but i am not keen on the image any of these 4x4 Behemoths portray but as you say Range Rover are the worst for it and attract some unsavoury types, i just need to look at the 'cocks' in my golf club who drive them

Just my perception, not for me i am afraid, I was frankly embarrassed driving it at times.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 05:41 AM   #40
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I think it also makes a difference where you live. We live on a 1980’s estate in a medium sized 4 bed detached.

I think a Q7 or an X5 looks ok, I think a FFRR would look a bit like we should move to a nicer house instead.
Does that kind of thing bother you?
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 05:57 AM   #41
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Not really about what other people think I suppose.

It’s probably a projection of what I’m thinking myself, I’d probably question why I have a FFRR on the drive of a £450k house.

It’s not a criticism, but it does occur to me every time I see Pete’s photos of S8’s or Ferarri’s outside a semi with adjoining drives in Aylesbury. I’m sure he’s very happy with that, and it’s not saying he should change what he’s doing. But I think I would.

We’ve just had a discussion at home about whether we want to down dial car costs for a better family home, although this one is nice enough, just not our ideal, so jury is out for now.

Thread off track, but this is what sparked the debate, but it’s just a bit out of reach.....

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...-83672851.html

Last edited by Goneinsixtyseconds; 09-16-2020 at 06:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 06:20 AM   #42
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Short term lease

Quote:

It’s probably a projection of what I’m thinking myself, I’d probably question why I have a FFRR on the drive of a £450k house.

It’s not a criticism, but it does occur to me every time I see Pete’s photos of S8’s or Ferarri’s outside a semi with adjoining drives in Aylesbury. I’m sure he’s very happy with that, and it’s not saying he should change what he’s doing. But I think I would.

We’ve just had a discussion at home about whether we want to down dial car costs for a better family home, although this one is nice enough, just not our ideal, so jury is out for now.

Thread off track, but this is what sparked the debate, but it’s just a bit out of reach.....

Can't remember how many kids you have Alex? From a personal POV, much as I love a nice car, having the right house is on a different level. We (with 2 kids) moved from the sort of house you describe 5 years ago, into a bigger 5-bed. It made all the difference to our quality of life. Just having a hallway you can fit more than one person in was worth its weight in gold!

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 06:20 AM   #43
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It's probably a projection of what I'm thinking myself, I'd probably question why I have a FFRR on the drive of a £450k house.

It's not a criticism, but it does occur to me every time I see Pete's photos of S8's or Ferarri's outside a semi with adjoining drives in Aylesbury. I'm sure he's very happy with that, and it's not saying he should change what he's doing. But I think I would.

We've just had a discussion at home about whether we want to down dial car costs for a better family home, although this one is nice enough, just not our ideal, so jury is out for now.

Thread off track, but this is what sparked the debate, but it's just a bit out of reach.....

I understand what you mean. I guess it's about having your life in balance. If having too nice a car is what's stopping the house you'd like being affordable, then I can imagine it's a dilemma. Yet stretch for a dream home that then means driving bangers and crap holidays.... doesn't sound like the right move either.

It's also somewhat dependant on where you live in the country though. Down south you see lots of relatively modest looking houses with expensive cars outside them, yet those properties are actually bonkers expensive (compared to further north anyway). Go to Scotland and half a million buys you a remarkably nice house.
Appreciate 1
mcoops1757.00
      09-16-2020, 06:26 AM   #44
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Short term lease

Quote:
I understand what you mean. I guess it's about having your life in balance. If having too nice a car is what's stopping the house you'd like being affordable, then I can imagine it's a dilemma. Yet stretch for a dream home that then means driving bangers and crap holidays.... doesn't sound like the right move either.

It's also somewhat dependant on where you live in the country though. Down south you see lots of relatively modest looking houses with expensive cars outside them, yet those properties are actually bonkers expensive (compared to further north anyway). Go to Scotland and half a million buys you a remarkably nice house.
Yep, that house Alex posted would be at least double the price round my neck of the woods!

Appreciate 0