F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > CTS Turbo Intake (Review and DIY Video Install)
proTUNING Freaks

05-05-2021, 03:09 PM   #1
ap0819
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i

CTS Turbo Intake (Review and DIY Video Install)

Hi everyone,

Got the chance to film a DIY install on a CTS Turbo Intake on the 340i for my YouTube channel (link below).

Quick few notes on the installation:

In the video I actually forgot to install a clamp that tightens down the connection between the intake cone and the intake pipe. I have since installed it and included a photo of the proper installation (also below)

Moreover, I don't think I stressed this enough in the video, but that one clamp/bolt that is down towards the bottom of the secondary air box thing had essentially zero clearance to get a screwdriver or 7mm small socket in there. I think my car in particular that clamp was rotated especially far forward and closer to the radiator fan shroud than it should be.

In conclusion, it was an absolute nightmare to get off but was able to eventually get enough leverage to loosen it.

REVIEW:

I've had the intake on for a few days now and I can say it definitely makes a noticeable difference in turbo volume and noises, as you would expect. I think it has been decided that the CTS and AP intakes are the loudest you can get on this platform and I can certainly believe it. I wouldn't say it is annoying or overbearing, but even under slight load you can hear it.

I would definitely recommend the intake if you are looking for a nice sound improvement. I'm not here to start the argument again over enclosed air-boxes and open-filters again in terms of performance gains/losses, but for my intents and purposes which primarily include street and casual driving, it does just fine.

Thank you!

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
diaz032.50
      05-05-2021, 05:16 PM   #2
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Fully agree on that bottom clamp. I put in the BMS silicone elbow and it was a giant PITA to get that bottom clamp off and on.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 08:05 PM   #3
ap0819
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i

Update:

While the intake certainly sounds great, today the car threw a CEL with a P120D code under normal driving. I was able to clear the code with the OBD reader I keep in the car. It has not reappeared after a few start ups throughout the day - but I'll keep an eye on it to see if it shows up again.

I've read that open filter intakes can cause our cars to throw a CEL but it doesn't seem too common. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is this something I should be concerned about?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 05:25 PM   #4
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Here's my comprehensive review of CTS, Dinan and OEM/mppk for the N55 if anyone is interested: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1765289
Appreciate 0