F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Using voice navigation to a phone contact address
Extreme Powerhouse

08-17-2018, 08:27 PM   #1
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Using voice navigation to a phone contact address

Posted this in the Nav forum, wondering if anyone has an answer to this:

Can you use the voice recognition to navigate to a telephone contact? I'm struggling trying to figure out what to say to trigger it. I can bring up a contact in idrive and navigate to it, but how does one use the voice?

My Canadian Audi doesn't get any real connected features like pushing addresses from google maps, or an app to push addresses to the car like my BMW, but a user pointed out a slick way to get addresses into the NAV (which would work for anyone with a BMW that no longer had the connected drive subscription):

1) Make a new random contact "John Smith" on your phone. Enter the address you want to go to.
2) For audi, you push the button and say "Navigate to contact John Smith".
3) Like magic, you are on your way.

How can I do this in idrive using voice prompts?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 08:32 PM   #2
NavS
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i

Garage List
2018 BMW 440i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
I don't know how I did it but I think you can set it up on the go, I did a "navigate to john smith" and it said it didn't have any addresses did I want to add one and I said "yes" and went from there.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 06:15 PM   #3
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Hmmm... let me try that again. It's a slick solution to entering nav addresses for anyone who no longer subscribes to the connected services.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 08:34 PM   #4
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I tried it again, and if I "call john smith" it brings up the number. When I say "navigate to john smith" it starts populating the address search window with either "Arkansas" or "Kansas". No clue how "John Smith" ended up as one of those.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 10:29 AM   #5
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Tried again last night, and I don't think there is a way to use voice to navigate to a contact (internal to the HDD or external to the phone). Only thing it seems to support is saying "HOME". It will then bring up the navigation to your stored home address.

You can still go to stored contacts with the i-drive knob. At the map level, pull the knob left twice (to the left menu, then back the NAV menu). You can access your contacts through there. Works really well.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #6
NavS
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i

Garage List
2018 BMW 440i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Tried again last night, and I don't think there is a way to use voice to navigate to a contact (internal to the HDD or external to the phone). Only thing it seems to support is saying "HOME". It will then bring up the navigation to your stored home address.

You can still go to stored contacts with the i-drive knob. At the map level, pull the knob left twice (to the left menu, then back the NAV menu). You can access your contacts through there. Works really well.
I dunno man, I just tried it again, yes it will suggest an address, but if you scroll down it also shows similar contacts. Also when in the navigation menu and you go to enter destinations it has the option for contacts. If that contact has an address they will already be there.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 04:45 PM   #7
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Maybe a difference between my 2016 and your 2018 then?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 05:23 PM   #8
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavS View Post
I dunno man, I just tried it again, yes it will suggest an address, but if you scroll down it also shows similar contacts. Also when in the navigation menu and you go to enter destinations it has the option for contacts. If that contact has an address they will already be there.
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 09:15 PM   #9
The Airman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3s

It works like this with mine:

There's two type of contacts. Those you store in the car (under the "options" menu), and those stored on your iPhone. Both types have a name, address and/or phone stored with them. You have to have the phone sync the contacts by clicking the box in iDrive. Plus the contact in the phone has to have an address stored with it.

So in my car, in order to call or navigate to a contact or call a contact in my phone, I ALWAYS have to say "contacts" first after pressing the voice button.

The car responds by pulling up the list and saying "please say a name".

I say "Joe Schmoe"
The car says "Joe Schmoe selected, call or navigate?"

If I say "call Joe Schmoe" first without saying "contacts", it doesn't seem to ever work.

If I say "destination", then "Joe Schmoe" it brings up all kind of odd stuff that are points of interest that sound like Joe Schmoe.

2021 i3s AC Schnitzer
BMW CCA #67486
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 10:02 PM   #10
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Airman View Post
It works like this with mine:

There's two type of contacts. Those you store in the car (under the "options" menu), and those stored on your iPhone. Both types have a name, address and/or phone stored with them. You have to have the phone sync the contacts by clicking the box in iDrive. Plus the contact in the phone has to have an address stored with it.

So in my car, in order to call or navigate to a contact or call a contact in my phone, I ALWAYS have to say "contacts" first after pressing the voice button.

The car responds by pulling up the list and saying "please say a name".

I say "Joe Schmoe"
The car says "Joe Schmoe selected, call or navigate?"

If I say "call Joe Schmoe" first without saying "contacts", it doesn't seem to ever work.

If I say "destination", then "Joe Schmoe" it brings up all kind of odd stuff that are points of interest that sound like Joe Schmoe.
Thanks, that does work.
Appreciate 0