F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Android Phone / Bluetooth / Artist Track Info?
Extreme Powerhouse

02-19-2016, 06:57 PM   #1
rwmorey
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Convertible

Android Phone / Bluetooth / Artist Track Info?

Hi --

We just got a 2012 328i and I connected my Android phone via Bluetooth and I can control the next / prev track but the artist and track info doesn't display and I can't see my music library from my phone in the car to choose music to play. It says "please wait.."

I do have a fairly large music collection but I let it "wait" for about 20 minutes.

I had to play the music using an app on my phone.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Rich
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 09:08 PM   #2
SoDiezl350
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport EBII

The CIC idrive system is completely worthless when it comes to pairing with Android. If I want to play spotify or pandora through bluetooth, the info it displays is always the first song that appears alphabetically on my phone storage, regardless of what's actually playing.

To get any decent phone media support, you pretty much have to use an iphone, connected via usb and using connected drive. This lets you run the Spotify or Pandora apps built into the system, and works quite well.

There are ways to take an old iphone and have your android provide automatically detect it and provide hotspot access to it. This way you don't need a second data plan and you never have to take the iphone in and out of the armrest.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 09:37 PM   #3
RarScaryFrosty
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

I have a 2013 with CIC navigation and use the Google Play music app. My phone works flawless with the car aside from an occasional hiccup where it doesn't auto connect to my phone. Artist and album info plays correctly through Spotify, Pandora, and Google Play Music over bluetooth.

What phone do you have? I think it's more app related possibly. Another option is to get a large USB flash drive, dump all your music onto it, and play off of that from the car. It'll show album art as well if you do that.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 04:11 PM   #4
rwmorey
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Convertible

Hi --

I have an LG G3 but actually the car is my wife's car and she has an iPhone 5. She is away so I haven't had a chance to test it with her iPhone.

Thanks

Rich
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 03:42 PM   #5
peikko
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D Sport

That is the problem with Android though, you have different handsets and even though they use the same OS they don't seem to work the same... BMW systems tend to work far better with Iphones on the media side..

I have business Navigation with advanced media and it took ages for it to start streaming my music from my HTC M8. As I am going to remove the HU Champ2 and combox and upgrade to a Pro Nav NBT I haven't really bothered (a USB Stick will see me by just now)

When I had a pro nav NBT I had to play the music in the phones app but could control it using the car.

Other than that my HTC one x plus could connect via the usb and the M8 didn't even get recognised as a device.. Don't get me started on Connecteddrive and android...
Appreciate 0