F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Anyone else find the x-drive suspension dizzying / disorienting?
Extreme Powerhouse

11-22-2021, 12:39 AM   #1
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Anyone else find the x-drive suspension dizzying / disorienting?

Does anyone else find the x-drive suspension dizzying / disorienting?

I typically travel around 75mph on the freeway and the car feels like it’s constantly swaying left to right, and slightly up and down, all the time – like constant wind buffeting and "lifting" – even when there’s little to no wind. I’ve had multiple alignments, so I know that’s not the issue.

Then combine that with the revised LCI suspension where every rumble in the road is being transmitted through the seat, into the rock hard headrest as well, and into my head – including the bigger bumps and potholes on the freeway. And by the time I get to my destination my brains are total mush.

I also sit very upright and find that the A-pillar is close to my head, and the rear-view-mirror is nearly at eye level, partially blocking my view of the road, which I don’t think helps (see attached pic of CNET review). Even driving in town I think this whacks my brain out, but I think part of the issue is also with the suspension as well. Thought I'd get some feedback on that.

For those with the X-drive suspension – have you noticed feeling disoriented while driving? And if so, do you have a pre-LCI (2015 and below) or LCI (2016 and after) F30? And do you sit upright, or rather leaned-back?

I believe the LCI has a revised rear suspension which is more brittle than the softer, non-LCI, rear suspension. I was thinking about maybe installing the pre-LCI shocks and springs to see if that helps. I’ve also heard good things about the KW Street Comforts, but I really don’t want a harsher ride. Although if they smoothed out 90% of the little movements, and “float”, that I think are bugging me, that would probably help greatly.

Thanks for the feedback – not trying to bitch -- trying to figure out if it’s me, or the car. I’ve had some health issues since I bought the car, which have largely cleared up. But still am getting disoriented while driving this thing.

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 05:08 AM   #2
adhrp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i (G30)/2021 X3 (G02)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natesi View Post
For those with the X-drive suspension – have you noticed feeling disoriented while driving? And if so, do you have a pre-LCI (2015 and below) or LCI (2016 and after) F30? And do you sit upright, or rather leaned-back?
I have pre-LCI RWD standard suspension (same as x-drive?) and I sit like the CNET video shows - not completely upright but not too leaned back either. I haven't found the rear-view mirror to be distracting the way you describe, but now that you mention it, I hope it isn't something that I can't "unsee"

The suspension is def a little floaty, but doesn't bother me. That said, I switched to Bilstein B4s around the 120k mark and the ride improved a little, but still close to stock. I heard the B6s are more firm, but I am not sure how I feel about a firm ride. Either way, the std suspension doesn't cause me any of the symptoms you describe; I find it to be rather satisfying even if I did wish it were slightly more firm and composed.

Sold/Retired: 2012 328i (F30)
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 06:24 AM   #3
BimR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 328

At 75mph, the car handles fine. So not really my experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 06:55 AM   #4
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Never noticed anything "floaty" about my xDrive LCI suspension. Behaves great, at least in the range 0 to 257 km/h, can't say about beyond.

It's either your car individually or you...
      11-22-2021, 07:16 AM   #5
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I'd be looking at your tires and tire air pressures. Only time the xDrive is "substandard" when driving is under hard corners (car tends to lean more).

Never on a highway or city street. Lower your seat?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 07:28 AM   #6
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
nope, my car has been fine
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 08:30 AM   #7
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
I'd be looking at your tires and tire air pressures. Only time the xDrive is "substandard" when driving is under hard corners (car tends to lean more).

Even then, I haven't had an issue, wonder if it's because mine is an F32 with a supposedly lower centre of gravity. Have driven it aggressively on curvy mountain roads and it didn't fail to impress. Still not a carver like my F82 but it certainly held it's own.
      11-22-2021, 08:57 AM   #8
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
Even then, I haven't had an issue, wonder if it's because mine is an F32 with a supposedly lower centre of gravity. Have driven it aggressively on curvy mountain roads and it didn't fail to impress. Still not a carver like my F82 but it certainly held it's own.
Not that I'm not impressed on roads, it's usually more on tight traffic circles, etc that I notice "issues".

But if it's bouncing and drifting all over, it sounds like bad or underinflated tires.
Appreciate 1
amancuso724.00
      11-22-2021, 10:23 AM   #9
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post

I felt it leaned too much on any corner at speed. I used to drive the bow trail sw to crow child trail sw southbound and body roll on it was so odd. But you probably won’t sense it as much on the 340i as I tested it there too and it’s more hunkered down due to weight but it’s less eager to turn in

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 11:11 AM   #10
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Unfortunately F30 even LCI does not have lift damping as in G20, so both front and rear can bounce on uneven/rough roads.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 11:12 AM   #11
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhrp View Post
The suspension is def a little floaty, but doesn't bother me. That said, I switched to Bilstein B4s around the 120k mark and the ride improved a little, but still close to stock. I heard the B6s are more firm, but I am not sure how I feel about a firm ride. Either way, the std suspension doesn't cause me any of the symptoms you describe; I find it to be rather satisfying even if I did wish it were slightly more firm and composed.
I do wonder if Koni FSD can be a good option to remove bounciness in F30.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 03:38 PM   #12
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Yeah, it could partially be the tires, as well. I have Pirelli All Season Plus tires and now that I think of it, I remember feeling more side to side motion after getting them on.

I'll be putting my winter tires on soon so that should give me a good comparison (Pirelli Sottozero 3). Hopefully that clears up a lot of the issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 05:10 AM   #13
adhrp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i (G30)/2021 X3 (G02)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
I found that the worn suspension had become bouncy. After a suspension refresh to B4s, the bounciness reduced drastically and it is much more composed now, as expected.

Sold/Retired: 2012 328i (F30)
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2021, 05:15 PM   #14
heifetz17
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328xi

I have a pre-LCI x-drive. I have coilovers now, but before I put them on I didn't notice any kind of swaying or stability issues with the stock suspension. The car felt great both in town and on the highway, and still does.

I haven't noticed any visibility issues regarding the pillars or mirror either.
      11-23-2021, 10:12 PM   #15
GeorgeF31
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i xDrive M Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by adhrp View Post
FSD is an excellent choice, in my opinion, to fix the behavior of the xDrive/standard suspension. They're not at all stiff — and maybe could be firmer — but fix the behavior of the car in transitions while maintaining comfort levels.

Again, my opinion.
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2021, 04:15 PM   #16
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep

Howdy all -- happy Thanksgiving!

I put my winter tires back on yesterday and took the car for a brief spin -- it feels SSOOOOO much better.

The Pirelli Sottozero 3 (winter tires) feel "square" and stable -- almost drives like a different car. And the side to side freeway movement has been greatly reduced. Whereas the Pirelli All Season Plus felt like I was driving on rounded tires -- like balloons -- and I would get the constant side-to-side motion on the freeway. Which I think has slowly gotten worse and worse as the tire has worn.

Looking at my tire (pictured below) you can see right down the middle of the tire is a hard ridge. I'm sure this is the culprit. This ridge looks flat in the picture, but when you run your finger over the tire it pushes your finger up. So it must be a harder piece of rubber they stuck in the middle. This is why the car feels like it's "squirming" going down the road all the time. WHY would they design a tire like this??

Anyway, looks like I'll have to get new tires in a few months, once the winter tires come off.

I REALLY love the Sottozero 3 winter tires -- not too harsh, not too soft, excellent turn in, insane grip (more than I need, actually), etc. Mostly I just love that the tires feel square and not like I'm riding on balloons. STRANGE how the same tire company can make one set of tires that I love and another that I hate. The All Season Plus have been a bit troublesome for me -- would not recommend them (balance issues, easily flat spots, ride isn't that great, noisy after first year, squirmy on the freeway, and grip level is good but not great).

Any suggestions on 18-inch go-flat all seasons, for when spring comes? Looking for something fairly comfortable, "square" feeling, and hopefully not too loud. I'd be willing to give up a LITTLE bit of turn-in response and ultimate handling. Would be great if it also had some snow capabilities -- as putting the winter tires on every year is honestly getting a little old. Also, I live in western Washington, so it must have good levels of wet grip.

I've been considering the DWS 06. I'm just a little apprehensive because I tried the original DWS a looooong time ago and the turn-in was so deplorable I had to return them. Allegedly they've worked on that but I see some people are still complaining about them being too mushy. If anyone has them on their F30, especially in 18 inch wheel size, I'd be very interested in your feedback.
Attached Images

Last edited by natesi; 11-25-2021 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 04:33 PM   #17
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Any suggestions on 18-inch go-flat all seasons, for when spring comes? Looking for something fairly comfortable, "square" feeling, and hopefully not too loud.
Michelin CrossClimate 2, although I question why not summers when you have winters. If you do want to ditch the winters the CrossClimate 2 is the highest rated A/S in every category. Their technology is, at the moment, unique, well worth looking into.
Appreciate 1
natesi204.00
      11-25-2021, 05:00 PM   #18
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Looking at my tire (pictured below) you can see right down the middle of the tire is a hard ridge. I'm sure this is the culprit. This ridge looks flat in the picture, but when you run your finger over the tire it pushes your finger up. So it must be a harder piece of rubber they stuck in the middle. This is why the car feels like it's "squirming" going down the road all the time. WHY would they design a tire like this??
Many tires wear with a small ridge around the middle, had it one my own vehicles, including with UHP summer tires. Shouldn't make any discernible difference to the driving characteristics. Certainly not the description you originally posted.

I'm a little surprised the winter tires are better, typically that is where users find a less secure feeling drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 05:06 PM   #19
Walker_CW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Never noticed anything "floaty" about my xDrive LCI suspension. Behaves great, at least in the range 0 to 257 km/h, can't say about beyond.

It's either your car individually or you...
This. Mine is great.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 05:14 PM   #20
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Yeah, it could partially be the tires, as well. I have Pirelli All Season Plus tires and now that I think of it, I remember feeling more side to side motion after getting them on.

I'll be putting my winter tires on soon so that should give me a good comparison (Pirelli Sottozero 3). Hopefully that clears up a lot of the issues.
What year/model car do you have? Mileage? Standard or Adaptive shocks? What is your stock tire size?

What shape is your suspension in? Stock?

Best all seasons are DWS06 Plus or Michelin PS A/S4. But you already have winters so go with summer Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in a wider size.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 05:48 PM   #21
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep

Like I said: Just getting tired of doing the switch over. I only have dedicated winter tires for going up to the mountain, but I haven't been doing that much the last few years. As the winter tires will be coming up on their 6th year soon, not sure if I will be getting another set, or not.

Quote:
I'm a little surprised the winter tires are better, typically that is where users find a less secure feeling drive.
These are performance winter tires, so they are not your typical soft and squishy X-ice or Blizzak. They feel and ride pretty much like a normal UHP all-season tire, with some good snow and ice capabilities -- but they are not as extreme as the top studless snow and ice tires, such as the X-ice or Blizzak either. They are meant for performance applications with occasional snow and ice use. Which is exactly my situation -- we don't get much snow, if any, at ground level, most years (although some years we do). But pretty much only get snow and ice when going up to the mountain -- so I don't need to rock hard core, soft and squishy, winter tires. For me, the trade off is perfect.

Quote:
What year/model car do you have? Mileage? Standard or Adaptive shocks? What is your stock tire size?

What shape is your suspension in? Stock?
2016 328i x-drive. So standard suspension; stock, in good shape. Car came with 17 inch wheels, but I've upgraded to 18s for both winter tires and UHP all-seasons (more like 3 seasons).

Last edited by natesi; 11-25-2021 at 06:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 07:28 PM   #22
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

All tires typically have a special center portion that is silica based to reject water and provide great wet traction. Many don't have any siping in the middle to provide the best contact patch. It is possible that the tire you have has a defect, and you have worn it until it's now shown.

Keep in mind, tire material is quite pliable. Once you lower the car on it, you have 800-900 pounds on each tire. There is no way that and ridge that is present off car isn'r rammed into the tread when the tire has weight on it.

Also, bad strut/shock can cause all sorts of weird floaty issues.
Appreciate 0