F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > XHP tune only Comfort Mode?
GetBMWParts

11-23-2021, 05:27 PM   #1
CrimsonMoonLight72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Xdrive

XHP tune only Comfort Mode?

I do a lot of around town driving, high amounts of stop signs, traffic lights, slowing down for turns and all that...it’s like 90% of my driving. Now call me old fashioned but I like leaving car in comfort for that purpose. For other purposes sport and sport + suit me fine.....but most of my driving is in town or so to speak.

If I flashed the XHP tune (either stage 1 or stage 2) and just left it as is with no customizations, what changes would I see specifically while driving around town using partial to moderate throttle input? ( in comfort )

Would it hold a gear longer , shift less? The thing that continues to irk me is not only how shift points aren’t high enough in rpm but also AFTER the shift my starting rpm for next gear is so darn low and all the chassis vibration and rumbling that happens. I hate going into sport mode to solve this.i really just want to leave it in comfort and drive!

I just always heard that XHP is excellent for aggressive driving in sport and sport + but I don’t seem to hear much about how if affects moderate driving in comfort
Appreciate 2
djacinto373.00
Skyhigh1888.00
      11-23-2021, 07:30 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

XHP is an all around improvement in very mode in terms of shift speed/quality, with the most significant changes in sport+ and sport trans.

To answer your question more specifically, by default the OTS maps (stage 1/2/3) don't really change the shift points in comfort mode, however that is very easily customizable in the options when you go to flash a map. You basically just use sliders (% - based) on a per gear basis to make your upshifts later/earlier, and there are numerous other options as well.

To summarize, there are minor changes that improve drivability (even in comfort) just by flashing the OTS maps, but you may need to go into options to achieve exactly what you are looking for.

Highly recommend getting it, flashing stage 3, going through the ~50 miles of mixed driving for adaptations, then evaluate if you need to go into options and reflash to get the car behaving exactly as you want.
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      11-23-2021, 08:08 PM   #3
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

I have xHP, and definitely recommend the product. However, I don't typically drive in Comfort, so I don't want to necessarily recommend it for your needs. It can be customized, as thejeremyman9 noted.

Just to make sure, you have tried pushing the gear selector to the left ("S" automatic) while keeping the rocker switch in Comfort? That is, versus changing the rocker switch to Sport.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired

Last edited by eleven11; 11-23-2021 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: user name corrected
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 09:13 PM   #4
CrimsonMoonLight72
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
I have xHP, and definitely recommend the product. However, I don't typically drive in Comfort, so I don't want to necessarily recommend it for your needs. It can be customized, as CrimsonMoonLight72 noted.

Just to make sure, you have tried pushing the gear selector to the left ("S" automatic) while keeping the rocker switch in Comfort? That is, versus changing the rocker switch to Sport.
Yes I have knocked shifter over and left in comfort but as I’m going from stop sign to stop sign then to traffic lights and so forth it just holds too much...so I’m going like 38 in a 40 zone and I’m waitng for a shift to occur and it’s just hanging there ( with shifter over to left ) so I have to bust over the speed limit for a shift to occur....cops everywhere around here. So that doesn’t work. I noticed however that toggle sport mode with shifter in center normal position is actually better than previous mode. It actually doesn’t hold gears as high. And to be honest when in comfort mode it’s not necessarily WHERE the shifts are made it’s WHERE the next successive gear STARTS. If it starts too low in rpm that’s where all the stupid ass vibrations start.

Idk I may just have to get it and try to customize it for comfort mode. I just hope the customized settings will apply in comfort mode. Did I ask if I could flash with iOS 12? My iPhone 6 only goes to 12! But I also it doesn’t work with iOS 15 only 14?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 09:14 PM   #5
CrimsonMoonLight72
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
XHP is an all around improvement in very mode in terms of shift speed/quality, with the most significant changes in sport+ and sport trans.

To answer your question more specifically, by default the OTS maps (stage 1/2/3) don't really change the shift points in comfort mode, however that is very easily customizable in the options when you go to flash a map. You basically just use sliders (% - based) on a per gear basis to make your upshifts later/earlier, and there are numerous other options as well.

To summarize, there are minor changes that improve drivability (even in comfort) just by flashing the OTS maps, but you may need to go into options to achieve exactly what you are looking for.

Highly recommend getting it, flashing stage 3, going through the ~50 miles of mixed driving for adaptations, then evaluate if you need to go into options and reflash to get the car behaving exactly as you want.
Wow what do you do when you’re in my situation? Stop and go stop and go....speedlimits at 25- 35 everywhere! Go into comfort? Or just manually shift it in sport modes?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 10:45 PM   #6
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonMoonLight72 View Post
Yes I have knocked shifter over and left in comfort...
Got it. I often shift manually, which may not appeal to you. Also, when I don't want to shift manually, I will often switch back-and-forth from D (center position) to S (left position) to accomodate for desired rpm (like your situation).

Regarding xHP compatibility, according to their online manual (https://rbttuning.atlassian.net/wiki...shing+Hardware), they require iOS 10 or newer.
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 04:06 AM   #7
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Very good questions asked here. I am also interested in the impact on Comfort, as this is the Mode I drive in 80% of the time. I have no particular complaints, except the delayed shifting sometimes, e.g. as I am approaching a round-about and slowing down almost down to a complete stop, but then want to accelerate quickly to fill a gap. Sometimes the lag is so scary that it is almost a safety hazard. Other times it is very quick. It's simply unpredictable.

At the same time I am hoping xHP does not change Comfort mode in any negative way (e.g. holding higher RPMs), as I would like to keep Comfort as what the name suggests.

I am about to buy xHP soon but most likely not flashing before early next year.
      11-24-2021, 04:54 AM   #8
anielsen71
Lieutenant Colonel
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F36 435xd

Garage List
I have xHP and has had it for almost 3 years.
At first I flashed to stage 3 but for a dd I found it to harsh and has been running stage 2 most of the time.
Most of the time I also drive in comfort, so kind of the same usecase as OP.
I can only recomend it. The shifts in comfort is changed to the better and the elasticity when taking off at a red light is minimized without being to harsh. I really like it.
And with the latest additions in the software, you can have one preset of shiftpoints in drive and another in sport. Being really smooth in comfort and a bit more fast and harsh in sport mode.
Can only recomend it.

Ex: E46 330d, E91 330dA
Appreciate 1
Skyhigh1888.00
      11-24-2021, 10:03 AM   #9
CrimsonMoonLight72
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
Got it. I often shift manually, which may not appeal to you. Also, when I don't want to shift manually, I will often switch back-and-forth from D (center position) to S (left position) to accomodate for desired rpm (like your situation).

Regarding xHP compatibility, according to their online manual (https://rbttuning.atlassian.net/wiki...shing+Hardware), they require iOS 10 or newer.
Wow that’s unbelievable that I can actually use my iPhone 6 with iOS 12 to wirelessly flash! I guess I have to get the Thor device. I almost feel that my BM3 stage 1 Tune should be the thing that I can adjust so I wouldn’t have to get the xhp. I read about a guy that was emailing PTF quite a bit asking that exactly. But I don’t think they can adjust their tune to take care of things like higher shift points and such. I guess that’s what xhp is for, oh well.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 10:06 AM   #10
CrimsonMoonLight72
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Very good questions asked here. I am also interested in the impact on Comfort, as this is the Mode I drive in 80% of the time. I have no particular complaints, except the delayed shifting sometimes, e.g. as I am approaching a round-about and slowing down almost down to a complete stop, but then want to accelerate quickly to fill a gap. Sometimes the lag is so scary that it is almost a safety hazard. Other times it is very quick. It's simply unpredictable.

At the same time I am hoping xHP does not change Comfort mode in any negative way (e.g. holding higher RPMs), as I would like to keep Comfort as what the name suggests.

I am about to buy xHP soon but most likely not flashing before early next year.
I’m glad to see someone relates to my dilemma! Non related question...my ebrake once I release it and set off in the morning can’t help but hear the squeaking of brakes. I think the ebrake clamps the rear rotor from what I understand. I heard when you lower the hand ebrake the release isn’t exactly a full clean release and not until a minute later after you drive off does it fully release hence the stopping of the squeak noise. Make sense?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 02:56 PM   #11
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Ok, in the spirit of "science" I made a beer run trip to grab some info on this. My car has the sport transmission option (with paddles) so not sure how the info below is different if you don't have the sport transmission option.

Conditions: Driving constant speed on a level road, 65kph / 40mph
xHP: Stage 3

I drive with the shifter to the left (S), in manual mode (paddle shifting). At the above, D5 gear is the best for drivability. Engine isn't lugging, nor is it racing.

Shifter to the right (D transmission), Comfort: D7 (lugging)
Shifter to the right (D transmission), Sport: D6 ('ok', D5 would be better)
Shifter to the left (S transmission), Comfort: D4 (racing)

For me, none for the "auto" settings really work, but D in Sport mode is fairly decent. If that's acceptable, and you need comfort, I'd go to the iDrive settings and select comfort driveline and comfort suspension. Then you get that for free.

According to xHP, changing the shiftmap presets is what you are looking for:
https://rbttuning.atlassian.net/wiki...diting-Presets

Here is the exert from the above:
Shiftmap Editor: Setup hints
A “shift map” consists of 10 lines, which are spread over throttle input. Up- and downshifts can be independently configured. The setting made in the editor are always relative to the flashed map. You do not set exact shift points, but rather are able to change the shifting of a given OTS or custom map! The spread is from +50% to - 50% for each shift. For example, if your 5-6 shift on low loads normally occurs at 50 mph, but you want it not to happen before 55 mph, pull the 5->6 slider to + 10%. Same goes for the downshifts. If your trans normally downshifts on 40 mph from 6->5 during coasting, but you want that to happen at 50 mph, pull the slider for 6->5 up to +25%.

I've never touched this, and with the car tuned, I kind of like it wanting to be in a really high D gear for the wife.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 03:25 PM   #12
CrimsonMoonLight72
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Ok, in the spirit of "science" I made a beer run trip to grab some info on this. My car has the sport transmission option (with paddles) so not sure how the info below is different if you don't have the sport transmission option.

Conditions: Driving constant speed on a level road, 65kph / 40mph
xHP: Stage 3

I drive with the shifter to the left (S), in manual mode (paddle shifting). At the above, D5 gear is the best for drivability. Engine isn't lugging, nor is it racing.

Shifter to the right (D transmission), Comfort: D7 (lugging)
Shifter to the right (D transmission), Sport: D6 ('ok', D5 would be better)
Shifter to the left (S transmission), Comfort: D4 (racing)

For me, none for the "auto" settings really work, but D in Sport mode is fairly decent. If that's acceptable, and you need comfort, I'd go to the iDrive settings and select comfort driveline and comfort suspension. Then you get that for free.

According to xHP, changing the shiftmap presets is what you are looking for:
https://rbttuning.atlassian.net/wiki...diting-Presets

Here is the exert from the above:
Shiftmap Editor: Setup hints
A “shift map” consists of 10 lines, which are spread over throttle input. Up- and downshifts can be independently configured. The setting made in the editor are always relative to the flashed map. You do not set exact shift points, but rather are able to change the shifting of a given OTS or custom map! The spread is from +50% to - 50% for each shift. For example, if your 5-6 shift on low loads normally occurs at 50 mph, but you want it not to happen before 55 mph, pull the 5->6 slider to + 10%. Same goes for the downshifts. If your trans normally downshifts on 40 mph from 6->5 during coasting, but you want that to happen at 50 mph, pull the slider for 6->5 up to +25%.

I've never touched this, and with the car tuned, I kind of like it wanting to be in a really high D gear for the wife.

Hope that helps.
Wow...helps a bunch. Thanks for your experiment! So if you go +10% on the 3 to 4 shift match it with same 10% on 4 to 3 or 5 to 4? I never thought about a matching slider adjustment for both upshift and downshift. I guess that just ensures a similar rpm range between up and down shift per respective gears?

Also with those custom sliders do you have to chose a stage first? Like either 1,2 or 3 ? I was thinking about 1 or 2. I was thinking how strange it would be to adjust those sliders without a stage loaded.....

With LC I know you slide torque limits up from 0% but can xhp now allow for rpm adjustment when launching? Like you can either reduce or increase LC hold rpm.....

Thanx again man
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 09:06 AM   #13
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Wow...helps a bunch. Thanks for your experiment! So if you go +10% on the 3 to 4 shift match it with same 10% on 4 to 3 or 5 to 4? I never thought about a matching slider adjustment for both upshift and downshift. I guess that just ensures a similar rpm range between up and down shift per respective gears?

Also with those custom sliders do you have to chose a stage first? Like either 1,2 or 3 ? I was thinking about 1 or 2. I was thinking how strange it would be to adjust those sliders without a stage loaded.....

With LC I know you slide torque limits up from 0% but can xhp now allow for rpm adjustment when launching? Like you can either reduce or increase LC hold rpm.....

Thanx again man
If I understand their documents properly, you can modify the upshift and the downshift (they talk about a deadlock which would be if you overlapped those sliders).

When you load the tune, you select the tune and all those settings. I believe the settings stay stored, so you could toggle between stage 1, 2 or 3 with those same sliders (doesn't reset).

LC RPM isn't a software controllable deal. You are basically stalling the torque converter, so you get what you can get out of it. If it was, that would be in the DME engine tune and not the transmission tune. All those torque limits are doing is not telling the DME to reduce torque.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 05:25 PM   #14
CrimsonMoonLight72
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
If I understand their documents properly, you can modify the upshift and the downshift (they talk about a deadlock which would be if you overlapped those sliders).

When you load the tune, you select the tune and all those settings. I believe the settings stay stored, so you could toggle between stage 1, 2 or 3 with those same sliders (doesn't reset).

LC RPM isn't a software controllable deal. You are basically stalling the torque converter, so you get what you can get out of it. If it was, that would be in the DME engine tune and not the transmission tune. All those torque limits are doing is not telling the DME to reduce torque.
Ok finally have the license and packs. Just awaiting my Thor device from amazon. I looked at the shift map editor and there is the mention of having larger upshift + percentages in lower gears and reducing as you go up. I don’t mind actually my shift points in comfort in the lower gears. For me it’s really the upper gear shift points that cause my issues. Mostly 6-7 and 7-8....

I not sure what upshift AND downshift values to enter for the 6-7 and 7-8?
I was thinking something like +7 for 6-7 and +5 for 7-8. In that scenario in comfort and with arrival throttle gears 1-6 would continue to shift at factory points and only in 6-7 and 7-8 would there be a lengthening. With this upshift values what would be a good matching downshift value? Would it a positive or negative value?

I can’t figure this stuff out...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 07:23 PM   #15
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

If you are happy with how the car reacts today, you could leave the downshift the same. If you'd like it to downshift quicker, then I'd probably do the same numbers as you did for the upshifts (positive). That way when you start to get on the throttle, it will downshift. Once you go back to cruise, it will take longer to upshift.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 10:58 PM   #16
CrimsonMoonLight72
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
If you are happy with how the car reacts today, you could leave the downshift the same. If you'd like it to downshift quicker, then I'd probably do the same numbers as you did for the upshifts (positive). That way when you start to get on the throttle, it will downshift. Once you go back to cruise, it will take longer to upshift.
My main thing is just having my trans hold 6th and 7th longer in comfort mode while using light to moderate throttle inputs. I DO NOT want to see 8h gear at all until 55mph or so, especially when driving on county roads that don’t allow you to open up throttle.

So it’s simple what I want but it seems pretty complicated as far as how to set those sliders. I just thought increasing shift points from 6-7 and 7-8 by +5-10 % each would be enough. But then there is the downshift adjustments. I’m just getting different numbers from people . Too bad there wasn’t a diagram that tells you exactly what numbers to program
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 02:42 AM   #17
anielsen71
Lieutenant Colonel
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F36 435xd

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Ok finally have the license and packs. Just awaiting my Thor device from amazon. I looked at the shift map editor and there is the mention of having larger upshift + percentages in lower gears and reducing as you go up. I don't mind actually my shift points in comfort in the lower gears. For me it's really the upper gear shift points that cause my issues. Mostly 6-7 and 7-8....

I not sure what upshift AND downshift values to enter for the 6-7 and 7-8?
I was thinking something like +7 for 6-7 and +5 for 7-8. In that scenario in comfort and with arrival throttle gears 1-6 would continue to shift at factory points and only in 6-7 and 7-8 would there be a lengthening. With this upshift values what would be a good matching downshift value? Would it a positive or negative value?

I can't figure this stuff out...
Hmmm
What you are asking is if you never tasted a tomato and wanted an answer to how it tastes before you put it into your mouth.
Flash your tranny, leave it default xHP settings, let it adapt over 50-80 miles as described by xHP.
Then you can start adjusting by trial and error. And other peoples experience.
It's not that difficult. Just play around with it. You can't brake anything and you can always reset shiftmaps to defaults and start all over.
And the latest adition from xHP, is a number of shift map presets that you can apply as is, or use as base and adjust as you like.

You can obviously use a computer or smartphone since you are on this forum.
xHP is much less complicated than that :-)

Ex: E46 330d, E91 330dA
Appreciate 2
Skyhigh1888.00
Wires1645.50
      11-27-2021, 03:29 AM   #18
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

I was just about to say - you can't make your pizza taste the way you want it before you have even tried it!
It is good that you are trying to study the settings already, but that can only go half-way.

Try it, see what it does and how, adjust salt and pepper as you see fit.
      11-27-2021, 09:45 AM   #19
CrimsonMoonLight72
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
I was just about to say - you can't make your pizza taste the way you want it before you have even tried it!
It is good that you are trying to study the settings already, but that can only go half-way.

Try it, see what it does and how, adjust salt and pepper as you see fit.
Yeah I can dig that but it would be convenient just to set those sliders once and have it taken care of once and for all.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 08:47 PM   #20
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:

You actually can configure launch control with XHP, but you dont control the RPM, you control the torque. You don't need more RPM to launch with more power, you just configure the amount of torque the tune allows you to build with LC engaged. It's in the XHP manual https://rbttuning.atlassian.net/wiki...Custom+Options
Appreciate 1
Wires1645.50