F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Front Parking Sensors at Low Speed?
proTUNING Freaks

03-02-2021, 12:06 PM   #1
jazam95
Rep
Drives: BMW F33 M Performance

Front Parking Sensors at Low Speed?

Is it possible to activate the front parking sensors when pulling up somewhere without pressing the button next to the gear stick?

In my Merc the front sensors would auto-activate without pressing anything so it is taking some getting used to and I keep almost bumbing the front of my car when parking. The rear sensors auto activate so would have thought the front would too?.

I have been thinking of getting Carly and making some minor mods but have never done anything like that before so have reservations, however having computers background aren't afraid that much.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 12:28 PM   #2
joesid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i xDrive

I've tried with no success. The F25 X3 has it, and even has an option for it in the iDrive (low speed activation or something). Would be nice feature to have!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 01:08 PM   #3
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

There is a setting in the I-Drive to auto-enable PDC sensors at least in my 2018 F32 there is. I know it turns on my side sensors to automatically go off as they go off when I'm going through a drive through but I'm not positive about the front I'd have to test them out (and hopefully not run into anything!).

When I'm parking I press the button anyway so I can get the top view camera.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 01:39 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

You either have to press the button or put the car in reverse. When you put it back in drive the camera and PDC remain active until you reach a given speed or distance.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2021, 01:58 PM   #5
joesid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff32fl View Post
There is a setting in the I-Drive to auto-enable PDC sensors at least in my 2018 F32 there is. I know it turns on my side sensors to automatically go off as they go off when I'm going through a drive through but I'm not positive about the front I'd have to test them out (and hopefully not run into anything!).

When I'm parking I press the button anyway so I can get the top view camera.
Do you have the parking assistant feature with the additional sensors? I think it's required to have the low speed activation on F3X cars.
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      03-03-2021, 02:39 PM   #6
jazam95
Rep
Drives: BMW F33 M Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesid View Post
Do you have the parking assistant feature with the additional sensors? I think it's required to have the low speed activation on F3X cars.
From my research I believe there's some sort of pack that allows this. Hoping I can code the feature as I am sick of forgetting it wont come on or having to remember to press the button.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 03:12 PM   #7
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Interested to find this out. Only way I can get it to do "auto magically" is what Billfitz said. My Audi does to automatically as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 04:07 PM   #8
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazam95 View Post
Is it possible to activate the front parking sensors when pulling up somewhere without pressing the button next to the gear stick?

In my Merc the front sensors would auto-activate without pressing anything so it is taking some getting used to and I keep almost bumbing the front of my car when parking. The rear sensors auto activate so would have thought the front would too?.

I have been thinking of getting Carly and making some minor mods but have never done anything like that before so have reservations, however having computers background aren't afraid that much.
Most cars auto activate at low speeds. I had a 21 3 series loaner. It auto activates at low speed. Bmw was sleeping on that one. But they eventually fixed it.
Both activate when put in reverse.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 04:21 PM   #9
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Mine do activate automatically when I get close to an obstacle in the front (low speed).
The usefulness is limited, as one needs to get really close. So close, that if you weren't actually aware there is something there, you would probably hit it by the time the PDC activates and warns you.... But still. The up-side is that there are never ever any nuisance warnings, as I have experienced with other vehicles (which start yelling at me every time I get closer to the car in front on a red light)

And if not mistaken, there was an option in iDrive to enable/disable this. But not sure about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesid View Post
This could be the key...
      03-03-2021, 05:10 PM   #10
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Mine do activate automatically when I get close to an obstacle in the front (low speed).
The usefulness is limited, as one needs to get really close. So close, that if you weren't actually aware there is something there, you would probably hit it by the time the PDC activates and warns you.... But still. The up-side is that there are never ever any nuisance warnings, as I have experienced with other vehicles (which start yelling at me every time I get closer to the car in front on a red light)

And if not mistaken, there was an option in iDrive to enable/disable this. But not sure about that.

This could be the key...
Now you say that, mine did automatically kick on when I pulled in the shop today to get some work done. It picked up on the snow bank as I approached.

It was VERY close though, unlike the distance the rears give you.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 05:16 PM   #11
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

In reality the fronts don't activate automatically until you reach the "red zone". That's the thing. So if you do know you are approaching an obstacle (slowly), you will get a fair warning before you hit it. If you don't know there is an obstacle as you approach, chances are you may hit it before you react to the PDC activating itself, unless you are driving really slowly.

I actually often abuse the automatically triggered PDC as this way I get the Surround view without needing to press anything. So before I reverse into my normal parking spot, I approach obstacles in the front whilst maneuvering to automatically activate PDC and bring up surround view. Then I reverse