F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Alright so the time has come. Oil pan drain striped
GetBMWParts

04-11-2022, 11:49 AM   #243
TLMNICK
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F30, E91, E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussiwillow View Post
Alright guys I had some down today and I figured out that spring binding issues, thanks to tobz mentioning it honestly I wouldn't have put 2 and 2 together
Rubber coating over the upper springs of my b14 were causing binding likely due to upper perch being a bearing and the lower being a washer, the rubber was binding the 2 unequal moving parts causing it to pop with tension
Noise is gone completely and I can enjoy this POS again
Nicey done! Glad you can get back to enoying it.

I've put a few miles on this one too, and so far so good. No more coolant or oil leaks as far as I can see.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 02:23 PM   #244
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2014 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLMNICK View Post
Quote:
Alright guys I had some down today and I figured out that spring binding issues, thanks to tobz mentioning it honestly I wouldn't have put 2 and 2 together
Rubber coating over the upper springs of my b14 were causing binding likely due to upper perch being a bearing and the lower being a washer, the rubber was binding the 2 unequal moving parts causing it to pop with tension
Nicey done! Glad you can get back to enoying it.

I've put a few miles on this one too, and so far so good. No more coolant or oil leaks as far as I can see.
Oh that's great man! Sounds like some residual just collected somewhere just to scare you
Glad she's doing good!!
So far mines dry as a bone and everything is good and smooth
Thankful, now I'm trying to convince the wife it's a good idea to add a g80 to the stable :/
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2022, 07:52 PM   #245
TLMNICK
Private
Rep

Quote:
Oh that's great man! Sounds like some residual just collected somewhere just to scare you
Glad she's doing good!!
Thankful, now I'm trying to convince the wife it's a good idea to add a g80 to the stable :/
Yea man! It was a really big worry but I'm SO glad it's all dry. Glad yours is all dry too! I'm contemplating an F80 now lol. They're hard to find in a manual around here though.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 08:05 PM   #246
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Glad she's doing good!!
Yea man! It was a really big worry but I'm SO glad it's all dry. Glad yours is all dry too! I'm contemplating an F80 now lol. They're hard to find in a manual around here though.
Oh dude I can imagine, it was my fear doing all this, that the pan doesn't seal right lol
F80 always has my interest
Wife wants me to get an m2 comp or said wait for the g87 release and see how I feel
I dunno I got time, I'm still enjoying and would keep current car still
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 09:28 PM   #247
TLMNICK
Private
Rep

Quote:
Glad she's doing good!!
Quote:
Oh dude I can imagine, it was my fear doing all this, that the pan doesn't seal right lol
F80 always has my interest
Wife wants me to get an m2 comp or said wait for the g87 release and see how I feel
I dunno I got time, I'm still enjoying and would keep current car still
The M2 is a great car, although I still think I'd prefer the M3/M4. No rush for me either. I have an E93 that I'd likely trade for the upgrade, but I'm still enjoying it for now, so I have time also lol.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2022, 07:39 AM   #248
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Wooohooooo!!!! That’s great news
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2022, 07:45 AM   #249
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

So in terms of my progress, time has not been on my side. Everything is back together, just need to put the bumper back on and torque all the bolts.

Then prime the system and start…. Hopefully can have it running and back on the road after Easter
Appreciate 2
      04-18-2022, 01:50 AM   #250
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I’m done! Back on the road, everything seems to be ok! Happy Chappy!
Appreciate 3
      04-18-2022, 08:18 AM   #251
TLMNICK
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobz_au View Post
I’m done! Back on the road, everything seems to be ok! Happy Chappy!

Sweet!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 07:53 AM   #252
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Sweet!
Out of curiosity what is your warm idle oil pressure?

Mine is around 36psi, but I’m running 4L 0w30 and 3L 0w40 (as I’ll dump this oil pretty quick so used up what had left over)

Be interesting to see what you are at after the bearing swap
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 11:54 AM   #253
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:

Mine is around 36psi, but I’m running 4L 0w30 and 3L 0w40 (as I’ll dump this oil pretty quick so used up what had left over)

The N55 uses a oil pump with volumetric flow control which is controlled based on the oil pressure sensor. So AFAIK the oil pressure should always be the same under the same conditions. You can read more in the technical manual: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=854477
Appreciate 2
Polo088161616.00
      04-20-2022, 08:11 PM   #254
terryd5150
Head Fry Cook at McBurgertown
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Glad she's doing good!!
I have this same dilemma.

Continue to dump money into an N55 car (paid for), or go to a G82.

The S58 is proving to be built like a tank (so far) and super easy (and cheap) to tune for big power.

A real Sophie's choice....
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 09:04 PM   #255
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
The N55 uses a oil pump with volumetric flow control which is controlled based on the oil pressure sensor. So AFAIK the oil pressure should always be the same under the same conditions. You can read more in the technical manual: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=854477
Oo nice, so reading this, and understanding I have no clue about this in the detail required, I THINK the volumetric control would not be a factor at idle as it is providing "base pressure". I think before i did the bearings my idle hot pressure was 40psi (i think) and now it looks to have reduced to 36, which is to be anticipated as increased my bearing clearances.

Just be interesting to see if my pressure drop is in line with others
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 09:46 PM   #256
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd5150 View Post
Quote:
Glad she's doing good!!
I have this same dilemma.

Continue to dump money into an N55 car (paid for), or go to a G82.

The S58 is proving to be built like a tank (so far) and super easy (and cheap) to tune for big power.

A real Sophie's choice....
Dude same, honestly it's hard
My car really hits my needs and wants, it's maintenance is completed for many years, paid cash, quick, reliable, but the allure… ughhhh
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2022, 11:52 AM   #257
oranga
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 6mt

I have been waffling back on forth on doing the oil pan gasket myself but this thread is very inspiring!

One thing I was hoping some of you might be able to answer is, did anyone use a thread chaser to clean out the oil pan threads? I saw it suggested somewhere else because there is threadlocker on the oil pan bolts, but I don't think anyone here mentioned it.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 07:09 PM   #258
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranga View Post
I have been waffling back on forth on doing the oil pan gasket myself but this thread is very inspiring!

One thing I was hoping some of you might be able to answer is, did anyone use a thread chaser to clean out the oil pan threads? I saw it suggested somewhere else because there is threadlocker on the oil pan bolts, but I don't think anyone here mentioned it.
Honestly it's not a bad a idea IF you have binding with the bolt otherwise I don't think so, I had to drill mine and put an insert in due to threads letting go.
Appreciate 1
oranga87.00
      04-21-2022, 08:25 PM   #259
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:

I didn't bother, I don't think there is a need to over-complicate these screws, they apply almost no torque and there are so many of them.
Appreciate 1
oranga87.00
      04-21-2022, 08:27 PM   #260
oranga
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335 6mt

Quote:
Quote:

Honestly it's not a bad a idea IF you have binding with the bolt otherwise I don't think so, I had to drill mine and put an insert in due to threads letting go.
I'm sorry, what? Are you saying you had to make the holes bigger and put in a threaded insert?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 09:27 PM   #261
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm sorry, what? Are you saying you had to make the holes bigger and put in a threaded insert?
I misread what you wrote I thought you meant drain plug, I'm sorry. Long day, ya I didn't bother chasing threads either, no need to honestly as stated above
Appreciate 1
oranga87.00
      04-22-2022, 01:25 PM   #262
TLMNICK
Private
Rep

Quote:

The last I checked, I was right about where you are once the oil is warm. Makes sense since our bearing clearances were pretty much the same.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 05:07 AM   #263
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
The last I checked, I was right about where you are once the oil is warm. Makes sense since our bearing clearances were pretty much the same.
That makes me feel better! Just done 100kms on it, so dumped the oil and refilled with 5w-40 liquimoly.

Feels good to have the car done!!!
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2022, 08:30 PM   #264
TLMNICK
Private
Rep

Quote:
That makes me feel better! Just done 100kms on it, so dumped the oil and refilled with 5w-40 liquimoly.

Feels good to have the car done!!!
I bet! I feel the same way. And I'm glad that the 3 of us were able to complete these projects successfully!
Appreciate 0