F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Dinan Shockware: The Skinny......
ARMA SPEED

03-11-2017, 09:42 PM   #45
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F36 440i xDrive M-Sport

Is the original post re: shockware mappings still accurate? I'm still on the fence about getting it since I use comfort mode for my long-distance drives and actually prefer the insulated feel for the really poorly-maintained highway sections between Boston and New York.
      03-18-2017, 10:35 PM   #46
Haddock!
Rep
Drives: 440i GC xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versipellis View Post
Is the original post re: shockware mappings still accurate? I'm still on the fence about getting it since I use comfort mode for my long-distance drives and actually prefer the insulated feel for the really poorly-maintained highway sections between Boston and New York.
Don't know about the accuracy of the mappings but I used them to make my decision on getting the shockware and I have absolutely no regrets. In fact I would recommend it to anyone with EDC and lowering springs.

Some background: My car is a 2017 F36 440i xdrive as well. I lowered it on AC Schnitzer springs within a week of taking possession (I was never going to be able to live with the xdrive gap and so I ordered the springs soon after I ordered the car).

Car was great to drive with the lowering springs on smooth pavement and the occasional bump, however I live in the upper midwest and there is this little stretch (about a 1/4 mile) of frost heaves on the road close to my house - that I drive over everyday. What I found was that in comfort mode, the car completely lost its composure going over this series of bumps. It was bouncy and downright unpleasant! It had never bothered me when driving other cars. Switching to sport mode resolved the problem in that it was not uncomfortable any more (although the car felt stiffer and I felt every bump in the road).

So while the obvious solution was to drive in sport mode at all times, I didn't want to do that. I disliked the heavier steering, louder exhaust with MPPSK and the tendency to hold onto gears longer - all good things for spirited driving (which I do once in a while) but not what I needed every time I got into the car.

Enter Dinan Shockware. I got it with the understanding that it would stiffen up the damping across the board while leaving everything else including the steering, transmission and exhaust unchanged - thereby solving my problem.

It didn't disappointment. As soon as it was installed, I immediately drove to the aforementioned natural rumble strips and drove over them multiple times in comfort mode - and I'm glad to say the car performed flawlessly.

The one thing I will add as a foot note (and I know this is controversial) is that I believe the steering feel in comfort mode stiffened up some with the shockware flash. Not to the level of stock sport mode but certainly not what it was in comfort before the flash. I don't know how or why (and it may all be placebo) but going in, I did NOT believe I would get any changes to the steering feel with the flash and I was skeptical of those reporting improvement. I just know that it felt different and thought I should mention that here. I will also say that I don't mind it at all. I love driving the car and comfort mode is now exactly that - comfortable!
Appreciate 1
EvenKeel418.00
      03-19-2017, 01:01 PM   #47
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep

That's the thing. I don't want to feel the bumps in the road and neither does the rest of the family when we're going for long-haul trips. Comfort's floaty, sure, but it's a heck lot better than getting a kick in the rear over every bump.

I wish that Eco Pro was mapped to the softer Comfort in the EDC remap.
AudiA4647.50
      03-19-2017, 06:19 PM   #48
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Quote:
That's the thing. I don't want to feel the bumps in the road and neither does the rest of the family when we're going for long-haul trips. Comfort's floaty, sure, but it's a heck lot better than getting a kick in the rear over every bump.

Ask yourself if you're okay with the dampers in Sport and the lighter steering of comfort mode.

If the answer is no; then you're probably not a good candidate.

I find the shockware comfort mode just fine; BUT, I don't have the runflats tires. To me; shockware is superb with nonRFTs.

Keep in mind the dampers are adaptive; so they do soften.....though it's not going to be at the comfort level of the stock EDC suspension.

The hard thwacks (only way to describe it) are greatly reduced with nonRFTs. I use the Conti DWS06s on 19" 403M wheels.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 10:54 PM   #49
Haddock!
Rep
Drives: 440i GC xdrive

Quote:

If you are running on stock springs then I doubt you will be getting much of 'a kick in the rear over every bump' with the shockware. For the money I think the shockware is the cheapest solution to the underdamping on the stock vehicle. I suppose you could consider getting it installed with the understanding that if you don't like it, they will remove it and give you a refund (probably charging you for labor in the process). You might also want to look into the Bilstein B6 damptronics that are supposedly coming out later this month (if retaining EDC functionality remains a priority).
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 01:44 PM   #50
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep

You're right, I'm actually still on my stock RFTs and have been meaning to replace them, frankly. That could be a huge reason for it - it was definitely noticeable on my last car when I went from OEM RFTs to Conti DWS06's. I'm planning on getting springs with the shockware, hoping Dinan either comes out with F36 xDrive ones soon or getting H&R springs. Can you give me more information on the Bilstein B6's? Not familiar with those and not sure how they factor in.
      03-20-2017, 08:57 PM   #51
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

I waited over 1.5years for DINAN to come out with springs for the F36 xDrive. Nope. I spoke with a rep who confirmed that springs aren't coming out soon (mainly because they don't have many test cars to research on. So I went with H&Rs.

No regrets so far! ~30mm avg lowering so the ride height is now perfect.

The only problem with mine is that the stupid Shockware wouldn't take on my car. So I'm one of the unlucky ones without the added Shockware.
      03-21-2017, 02:02 AM   #52
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hunter View Post
I waited over 1.5years for DINAN to come out with springs for the F36 xDrive. Nope. I spoke with a rep who confirmed that springs aren't coming out soon (mainly because they don't have many test cars to research on. So I went with H&Rs.

No regrets so far! ~30mm avg lowering so the ride height is now perfect.

The only problem with mine is that the stupid Shockware wouldn't take on my car. So I'm one of the unlucky ones without the added Shockware.
What happened with Dinan Shockware there?
      03-21-2017, 02:07 AM   #53
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep

Absolutely nothing. The shop told me the software just wouldn't install into the vehicle. Chalk it up to the rare one that doesn't take. I still think I should give it one more go at it but was told by a DINAN rep that I probably shouldn't bother.
      03-21-2017, 02:33 PM   #54
Versipellis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely nothing. The shop told me the software just wouldn't install into the vehicle. Chalk it up to the rare one that doesn't take. I still think I should give it one more go at it but was told by a DINAN rep that I probably shouldn't bother.
Did they say why? That's weird lol
      03-21-2017, 06:48 PM   #55
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep

They said if it didn't take the first time, that it probably wouldn't take the second time. It's based on car not their software.
      03-24-2017, 03:28 PM   #56
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep

So out of stubborn curiosity I decided to take my F36 to a different DINAN authorized dealer today. I figured there was nothing to lose if the second shop couldn't get it to work. Well guess what... the software took this time! Woohoo! I wonder why the quirkiness of the situation that prevented the download previously.

Anyway from the short drive home today, I did notice a subtle yet effective difference in damping between all modes. It's the right amount of added stiffness without being too jarring. Roll is now at a minimum and I actually wish the suspension came this way from the factory. Excellent value for money now that their price reduction from $411 to $205 looks permanent.

Very very happy camper I am today.
      03-24-2017, 03:46 PM   #57
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
So out of stubborn curiosity I decided to take my F36 to a different DINAN authorized dealer today. I figured there was nothing to lose if the second shop couldn't get it to work. Well guess what... the software took this time! Woohoo! I wonder why the quirkiness of the situation that prevented the download previously.
Nice, congrats!

Quote:
I actually wish the suspension came this way from the factory.
I'm in total agreement with you there!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 11:01 PM   #58
AFRIEND435
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i m sport

Dinan springs / m adaptive crashing issue

I have m sport adaptive suspension with dinan springs on a 2014 f32 435. The car rides ok but when you hit certain road imperfections such as the transition from pavement to concrete when driving over bridges at freeway speeds the car crashes over these transitions. It feels like the front end just fell out. It feels like the suspension is bottoming out because the springs are too short for these dampers, like it needs dampers built for the shorter spring like my old e90 performance suspension. I'm wondering if any of you have experienced this? Maybe a Dinan engineer could chime in here, is this the case or is the valving in the dampers incapable of adjusting fast enough? Does the dinan software alleviate this issue? I understand that the run flats contribute to this but it isn't the whole issue.Thanks ahead of time for any input on this.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 11:21 PM   #59
Tchao
Boost Addict
Rep
Drives: E30, E82, F30, F87

Heres a very elementary way of explaining things:
Springs determine how much the suspension moves, and shocks determine how it moves.

If you are hitting the bump stops, then the springs are too weak for the amount of travel you are allowing it. Aka short and soft springs.

I have H&R Supersports, and its shorter than Dinans, and marginally stiffer. I do not bottom out on my bump stops unless its a huge bump on the road. So depending on how large the transition youre talking about on your freeway, you may only have two options:
Either get more travel, usually by raising the car, or get stiffer springs.

The problem with stiffer springs is that our shocks are already under-dampened from the factory, adding my H&Rs on it was super under dampened in Comfort mode. Sport modes are the only modes I can drive in or else the car gets bouncy.

So if you want stiffer, you have to upgrade the shocks too.

Now you are left with, either ditching the adaptive and getting coilovers, or waiting until you have great grand kids for Bilstein's adaptive dampeners to go for sale in the US.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 11:19 AM   #60
AFRIEND435
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchao View Post
Heres a very elementary way of explaining things:
Springs determine how much the suspension moves, and shocks determine how it moves.

If you are hitting the bump stops, then the springs are too weak for the amount of travel you are allowing it. Aka short and soft springs.

I have H&R Supersports, and its shorter than Dinans, and marginally stiffer. I do not bottom out on my bump stops unless its a huge bump on the road. So depending on how large the transition youre talking about on your freeway, you may only have two options:
Either get more travel, usually by raising the car, or get stiffer springs.

The problem with stiffer springs is that our shocks are already under-dampened from the factory, adding my H&Rs on it was super under dampened in Comfort mode. Sport modes are the only modes I can drive in or else the car gets bouncy.

So if you want stiffer, you have to upgrade the shocks too.

Now you are left with, either ditching the adaptive and getting coilovers, or waiting until you have great grand kids for Bilstein's adaptive dampeners to go for sale in the US.
Thanks for the response. Still wondering if shockware might help. Doubtful but hopeful.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 07:11 PM   #61
Red_Baron
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFRIEND435 View Post
I have m sport adaptive suspension with dinan springs on a 2014 f32 435. The car rides ok but when you hit certain road imperfections such as the transition from pavement to concrete when driving over bridges at freeway speeds the car crashes over these transitions. It feels like the front end just fell out. It feels like the suspension is bottoming out because the springs are too short for these dampers, like it needs dampers built for the shorter spring like my old e90 performance suspension. I'm wondering if any of you have experienced this? Maybe a Dinan engineer could chime in here, is this the case or is the valving in the dampers incapable of adjusting fast enough? Does the dinan software alleviate this issue? I understand that the run flats contribute to this but it isn't the whole issue.Thanks ahead of time for any input on this.
Are you in comfort or sport mode for the adaptive dampers when this happens?
Does sport make it better? If so, shockware may help.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 03:59 PM   #62
AFRIEND435
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Baron View Post
Are you in comfort or sport mode for the adaptive dampers when this happens?
Does sport make it better? If so, shockware may help.
Not sure but probably sport since that is what I prefer but switch back and forth depending on road surface so not 100% sure. Thanks for the response.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 08:03 PM   #63
Tchao
Boost Addict
Rep
Drives: E30, E82, F30, F87

If it is true that you are hitting the bump stops, shocks will not help you from bottoming out.
You should not use shocks as a way to limit travel, that is the springs' job.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 08:34 PM   #64
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyoasian View Post
Where can I get this installed in Toronto, Canada? Dinan_Engineering
i highly recommend Budd's. They're the biggest Dinan dealer. But I do recommend calling and pricing out with all the other Dinan authorized dealers so you get the price you're comfortable with

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug

Last edited by anotheran; 09-18-2017 at 09:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 08:20 AM   #65
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyoasian View Post
Where can I get this installed in Toronto, Canada? Dinan_Engineering
Budds' Oakville. Long time Dinan dealer and excellent to boot.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 10:50 AM   #66
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

How much for SWARE flash at Budds. Typically one of the higher priced dealerships that I stay away from. Is BMW Toronto an authorized dinan dealer?