F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Chassic Stabilization Grinding Noise
proTUNING Freaks

07-28-2020, 10:58 PM   #1
thephantastic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Mineral White

Chassic Stabilization Grinding Noise

I jack my wife's care to do an oil change today. Jacked the front mid point of axel. Placed a jack stand on each side. changed the oil, reset the indicator. When turning the steering wheel left or right, it makes a loud grinding noise then the chassis stabilization error popped up. So I decided to jack up the car again and tried turning the wheels. no noise. when it gets to the end of the turn, it makes a lower sound noice and the chassis stabilization error comes up.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 11:32 PM   #2
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Did you verify the jack was on the subframe lifting point and not on the steering rack?

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 11:40 PM   #3
thephantastic
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Did you verify the jack was on the subframe lifting point and not on the steering rack?
this is the point where I placed the jack similar to this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24XDC_Rbol0&t=123s
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 06:56 PM   #4
thephantastic
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Your comment made me jack up the car and to my surprised, the steering rack motor was bent up and broke a bolt off. You could tell it was not flush to the steering rack. I removed the other two bolt and removed the motor from the rack. Never unplugged any harness. I did unplug the battery. One of the bolt I removed was bent so I put that to the side and used the other two bolt and reassembled the motor into he rack. The motor has a gear where I goes into the rack slot which slides into a belt. Tighten it up and everything was flush and aligned. However when starting the car, there is no power steering compared to before there was power steering but grinding noise when turning. No errors not he dashboard.

I read around on there about recoding. If I never replaced the any parts and unplug any harness besides battery, why would power steering not work?
Appreciate 0