F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Another F31 Suspension Thread
proTUNING Freaks

08-06-2020, 11:19 PM   #1
yyzwagon
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F31

Another F31 Suspension Thread

There are 2-3 threads on suspension setups for F31s, but they didn't answer these questions of mine below. My F31 does have EDC.

If I go with springs on a car with adaptive suspension:

Is H&R the only manufacturer that makes an F31 variant?

Do I need bumpstops?

Do I need Bilstein shocks? If yes, why and what is the difference between B6 and B8?

Do I need to do anything with EDC?

These are pretty noobish questions, looking to learn.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 04:57 AM   #2
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by project.f31 View Post
There are 2-3 threads on suspension setups for F31s, but they didn't answer these questions of mine below. My F31 does have EDC.

If I go with springs on a car with adaptive suspension:

Is H&R the only manufacturer that makes an F31 variant?

Do I need bumpstops?

Do I need Bilstein shocks? If yes, why and what is the difference between B6 and B8?

Do I need to do anything with EDC?

These are pretty noobish questions, looking to learn.
No.

Maybe. Depending on how much Tavel you have after you lower. Using F80 bumps stops is a way to get shorter ones.

Stock shocks will work depending on the drop from the springs. Look into shockware from DINAN. There are other options besides Bilstein.

B6/standard height-B8/lowered on springs is the difference.

You can code EDC off pretty easily if you go with a non-EDC variant for shocks or coil overs.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 01:09 PM   #3
yyzwagon
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
No.

Maybe. Depending on how much Tavel you have after you lower. Using F80 bumps stops is a way to get shorter ones.

Stock shocks will work depending on the drop from the springs. Look into shockware from DINAN. There are other options besides Bilstein.

B6/standard height-B8/lowered on springs is the difference.

You can code EDC off pretty easily if you go with a non-EDC variant for shocks or coil overs.
thanks, some follow-ups:
1. is EDC dependent on the types of shocks/coilovers only, not so much the springs? i.e. if i go with springs + shockware, i can leave EDC as is?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 03:42 PM   #4
hon2bmw
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 Msport/Track handling

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by project.f31 View Post
thanks, some follow-ups:
1. is EDC dependent on the types of shocks/coilovers only, not so much the springs? i.e. if i go with springs + shockware, i can leave EDC as is?
Yes and no, someone correct me if I am wrong but your spring rate has a lot to do with damping force. It seems to me the point of shockware is to compensate for the changes in damping force created by changing the spring rate, so you can have a properly functioning EDC system. I'd assume that when you purchase shockware it would need to be adjusted to know the spring rate (maybe other parameters)of whatever lowering springs you choose, therefore if does not go past the operating parameters of your stock EDC shocks you MAY be able to keep them and only go with lowering springs?

But then again, I know KW sells a HAS ( height adjustable spring ) kit for M4's that keeps the stock EDC shocks and to my knowledge does noting to the coding of the stock EDC control unit.

Maybe we are over thinking what the EDC system does in each application, or how sensitive it really is to changes in ride height and spring rates, especially on 3/4 series vehicles.

I didn't really care much for my EDC on the wagon, so I had it coded out when I moved to the KW's. It's not my daily so I've pretty much gotten used to not having a "comfort" setting.

Last edited by hon2bmw; 08-07-2020 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 05:08 PM   #5
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

This has been shared/discussed before, but KW has a coilover range called DDC that is plug-and-play directly to the vehicle's EDC system. So, just like the factory EDC rocker, you can change the driving dynamics/dampers on the fly. I have them for my F31, and have been very pleased. They are one of the more expensive options, however (~$3,000 USD).

Here is a link to the product:
https://www.kwsuspensions.net/products/coilovers/ddc
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 01:58 AM   #6
paulwtech
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F31 320D N47 2014 EffDyn Auto

Hi there, firstly, I’m in the UK. How did you get on?
Research & find a decent BMW dealership & request a quote which includes parts breakdown… I did & that gave me all the parts ;-) You can also use https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select to research your parts / other items; but be warned, it’s not always accurate; especially if you have factory upgrades!
I have a 2014 F31 320d Touring rwd with Adaptive M chassis
(Drive modes, Eco, Comfort, Sport, Sport+) I absolutely love the stock config & ride; but at 155k miles, my front struts, springs, mounts need replacing!
If it helps; I contacted Monroe who inform me that yes; they manufacture the BMW OE & they only supply to BMW Dealerships as BMW have exclusivity; they wouldn’t supply to me as an Indy directly.
I have searched high & wide for other options; be warned & steer clear of eBay “from Hong Kong / China” & I certainly wouldn’t entertain second hand!
I searched for a shock refurbish service centre; there are a few in the UK; but that’s not possible for me as all I’ve enquired with want the shocks off the car & sent to them.
So, other than a complete change to Bilstein or other (quite expensive; but if you can afford, go for it!), the BMW dealership price is very competitive at just over Ł1k for both fronts with mounts & all fixings & inclusive of VAT & labour.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 04:09 PM   #7
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwtech View Post
Hi there, firstly, I’m in the UK. How did you get on?
Research & find a decent BMW dealership & request a quote which includes parts breakdown… I did & that gave me all the parts ;-) You can also use https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select to research your parts / other items; but be warned, it’s not always accurate; especially if you have factory upgrades!
I have a 2014 F31 320d Touring rwd with Adaptive M chassis
(Drive modes, Eco, Comfort, Sport, Sport+) I absolutely love the stock config & ride; but at 155k miles, my front struts, springs, mounts need replacing!
If it helps; I contacted Monroe who inform me that yes; they manufacture the BMW OE & they only supply to BMW Dealerships as BMW have exclusivity; they wouldn’t supply to me as an Indy directly.
I have searched high & wide for other options; be warned & steer clear of eBay “from Hong Kong / China” & I certainly wouldn’t entertain second hand!
I searched for a shock refurbish service centre; there are a few in the UK; but that’s not possible for me as all I’ve enquired with want the shocks off the car & sent to them.
So, other than a complete change to Bilstein or other (quite expensive; but if you can afford, go for it!), the BMW dealership price is very competitive at just over Ł1k for both fronts with mounts & all fixings & inclusive of VAT & labour.
There's no getting around it, the oe adaptive dampers are very pricey. If you were able to replace them yourself you could save a lot on labor, and can possibly save on parts if purchasing through a discount seller such as getbmwparts here in the US. These days many shops won't do the work for you if you bring your own parts though, so this isn't an option for everyone.