F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Ceramic Brake Pads Recommendation (M Sport Brakes)
GetBMWParts

04-01-2023, 11:41 AM   #1
warpaint340
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Moonstone F80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Ceramic Brake Pads Recommendation (M Sport Brakes)

This is what my 2 month old BBS RIA’s look like with 5 days of normal daily driving with OEM pads (I think). I’m thinking of replacing my rotors and pads soon since the rotors are getting worn anyway. I’m thinking R1 Concepts or OE Zimmerman drilled and slotted rotors.

I’m looking for a decent ceramic pad that’s near-dustless. So far EBC Reds and Hawk 5.0’s are what people usually like. I don’t race so ceramic pads should work fine. What are your thoughts?

Keep in mind these are the rear wheels only. The fronts dust even worse…
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2023, 01:31 PM   #2
AspektUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i MSport/THP

I don't believe Hawk 5.0s are ceramic, based on their marketing spiel.

Reading between the lines leads me to believe they're just a different 11 herbs and spices semi-metallic pad.

https://www.hawkperformance.com/hps-5-0

I'd buy ATE over them personally.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2023, 11:02 PM   #3
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

I use akebono. They Work fine for daily street use and no dust. Priced aggressively too. I got mine from rock auto
      04-03-2023, 10:40 AM   #4
Jvac
Captain
Rep

We might be the last 2 guys on earth that run alloy rims and constant brake dust is obnoxious. Black wheels, not an issue. For me the ceramics rule because I don't have time to be washing my car every 2 days.
      04-03-2023, 11:22 AM   #5
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Brake dust is just an indicator that the brake pads are performing their assigned duty: exposing a fresh layer of brake compound while shedding a thin layer of brake compound which already served its purpose.

Ignoring the aesthetics of brake dust for a moment, these are the considerations when purchasing brake pads:

- Rotors and brake pads work together at the expense of each other; do you prefer longer rotor life at the expense of the brake pads? Or vice versa?
- Is initial aggressive bite important?
- Brake performance during cold conditions?
- Brake performance while driving enthusiastically?
Appreciate 1
Jvac432.00
      04-03-2023, 12:23 PM   #6
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

+1 on the Akebono Ceramic Pads. Pretty cheap.

Performance-wise, yes - if you don't track the car or auto-x, for a daily driver, it's OEM level of braking power without the dust.

The *only* downside is a little more pedal pressure. But if stock pressure is like 5/10 to get the car to stop, we are talking maybe 6/10.

FWIW, the brake feel is VERY similar to street pads like Hawk.
The Hawk streets NEED some heat to get them to stop, they don't like being cold.
The ceramics are similar in that regard, but then again, NO ONE bombs it right off the bat in the cold.
Appreciate 1
Jvac432.00
      04-03-2023, 12:45 PM   #7
Jvac
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Brake dust is just an indicator that the brake pads are performing their assigned duty: exposing a fresh layer of brake compound while shedding a thin layer of brake compound which already served its purpose.

Ignoring the aesthetics of brake dust for a moment, these are the considerations when purchasing brake pads:

- Rotors and brake pads work together at the expense of each other; do you prefer longer rotor life at the expense of the brake pads? Or vice versa?
- Is initial aggressive bite important?
- Brake performance during cold conditions?
- Brake performance while driving enthusiastically?
Good points, but are you saying that ceramic pads cause premature rotor wear? I know akebono are oem pads on some Japanese cars, for example. I'd love to hear more about these theories
      04-03-2023, 01:29 PM   #8
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Hawk 5.0 are the best all around Street pad. Semi-metallic. Great bite, instant warm up and low dust. Dust is low in volume and color. Washes away easily. Much less noticeable than gobs of sticky black dust from BMW pads.

Akebono and other ceramic pads are no better than average in braking performance. Slow to warm up and work, I’d never put ceramic pads on one of my cars. It’s a safety issue for me, my family and anyone else who the car might possibly hit.

Tip: Thoroughly clean and ceramic coat wheels to prevent brake dust from sticking. See photos.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5886.00
      04-03-2023, 01:35 PM   #9
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvac View Post
Good points, but are you saying that ceramic pads cause premature rotor wear? I know akebono are oem pads on some Japanese cars, for example. I'd love to hear more about these theories
Premature rotor wear is perhaps not the most accurate term. If the pad contains harsher compound, the rotor will be subjected to greater friction and pressure. Something has to give: either the pad or the rotor.

Rotors can be reasonably inexpensive or quite expensive. I personally prefer softer pads. The benefits far outweigh the brake dust inconvenience.
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      04-03-2023, 02:29 PM   #10
Jvac
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Premature rotor wear is perhaps not the most accurate term. If the pad contains harsher compound, the rotor will be subjected to greater friction and pressure. Something has to give: either the pad or the rotor.

Rotors can be reasonably inexpensive or quite expensive. I personally prefer softer pads. The benefits far outweigh the brake dust inconvenience.
Just doing some reading on the topic. What you say is technically correct, though the effect is probably minimal at this point. Taking the aggregate of several articles on the subject, written by reputable sources, the short answer is that this accelerated rotor wear was more pronounced in the early days of ceramics and these days rotor construction has caught up pretty well. Those who are looking for 100% oem efficiency may be disappointed, but close enough should be good for the rest of us. I'm going on 45000 miles on my original m sport rotors anyway, and last check they were still within limits. I think they've held up pretty well.