F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Car hire - Recommendations
proTUNING Freaks

06-03-2019, 10:04 AM   #1
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A slow car

Car hire - Recommendations

Visiting a relative in LA, wondering which few companies are best to go for on this front.

Don't want to bother them by using their car, but UK prices seem a bit over priced. 4 adults in the car most times. 2 large suitcases whilst touring around the coast. Period is 6 weeks.

CDW included preferrably but can get a policy to cover any excess charges imposed.

Checked out Avis and Enterprise, the latter providing a decent quote but Avis seems extortionate lol.

Any recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 10:57 AM   #2
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

Personally, I'm a National Rental-car member. They are about 3%-5% less than then competitors, have an app, text-reminders, etc. I've been travelling A LOT this year because my daughter has been visiting colleges nationwide and a few vacations and weddings. Service at all the 6 or 7 airports for National has been consistent and helpful.

They break down all the charges on-line as well as offer options for insurance and fuel. (For fuel, I suggest NOT getting the full tank option, but rather just turn in the car and have them charge you per gallon.)

If you go this route, have sign up at least a few days before booking the car. Email offers for discounts come in and could save you a few more dollars.

Hope this was helpful!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 11:05 AM   #3
DieselSport
BMW Convert
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328d

I personally rent from Turo , which is an app that allows you to rent other peoples cool cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 01:36 PM   #4
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

I also recommend the Turo app, you could pick your car and rates are reasonable. Lots of people list their BMW's on there in this area.
6 weeks may be tougher to find but I'm sure there are folks who can accommodate.
Appreciate 1
yoon_209353.50
      06-03-2019, 03:09 PM   #5
Joooser
Private
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 05 M3

I used Turo for a rental of 2 weeks and it was great. I was able to use someone elses BMW for a fraction of a big company cost. If you really want to you can switch every week.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 03:16 PM   #6
DieselSport
BMW Convert
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joooser View Post
I used Turo for a rental of 2 weeks and it was great. I was able to use someone elses BMW for a fraction of a big company cost. If you really want to you can switch every week.
Thats a good idea, just switch everyweek or everyday lol

I also like Turo because there are a lot of new cars on there, so if you were interested in buying a car, it is a great way to test drive and see if it is right for you. Some dealers just take you around the block once and ask "So, what color do you want it ? "
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 04:12 PM   #7
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselSport View Post
Thats a good idea, just switch everyweek or everyday lol

I also like Turo because there are a lot of new cars on there, so if you were interested in buying a car, it is a great way to test drive and see if it is right for you. Some dealers just take you around the block once and ask "So, what color do you want it ? "
This guys said it all... I borrowed here for test drives. Mustang GT350, Audi RS4, M5, M4 , C43 and C63. Awesome place to test drive cars.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2019, 07:32 PM   #8
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you all for the heads up. Will look into all of this further.

Turo looks interesting as we didn’t actually have a need for the full 6 weeks, just went on the assumption there wasn’t a convenient solution other than returning and picking up from an agency.

Slightly frustrating with the age requirements on the ‘Deluxe’ class. I turn 25 in the fifth week.. so maybe a last minute journey in one of the preferred cars.

Having driven the 5.0 the eco boost may leave me somewhat disappointed..

Thoughts between the Camaro, Challenger and the Mustang? Would probably be going for a convertible for the Vegas/Canyon drive. Unlikely to want to go German as those cars are readily available in the UK. It all comes down to availability anyway when we’re there.

Most important of all, is the insurance through Turo sufficient? Been reading through the info provided and it’s a bit of a minefield especially PIP..

https://support.turo.com/hc/en-us/ar...on-plans-cost-

We’ll all have travel insurance (will be going premium to cover as much as possible).

I assume there isn’t a car hire excess protection plan for peer to peer in the states? I imagine it would be a little difficult to enforce who is to blame, or tackle disputes.

So it’s either Turo’s standard/full cover each with $500 ‘deductible’ or nada?

Last edited by KTE; 06-03-2019 at 07:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 10:41 PM   #9
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

FWIW - Turo is decent, UNTIL you have an accident... :\
I rented a Turo car for a photoshoot. All went well until I was driving the car back from the photoshoot and a rock hit the windshield and cracked the glass. Spent A LOT of time on the phone and in emails working out the repair.

National's age requirement is 21yo I believe. Plus you can pick up at the airport. Car-share apps MIGHT let the car owner meet you at the airport but... I had to go out of my way to pick up out photoshoot car outside SFO.

I know the idea of renting a cool car for vacation is fun but do you REALLY want to worry about some other guy's car while you enjoy your vacation?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 08:30 AM   #10
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by percychow View Post
I rented a Turo car for a photoshoot. All went well until I was driving the car back from the photoshoot and a rock hit the windshield and cracked the glass. Spent A LOT of time on the phone and in emails working out the repair.

National's age requirement is 21yo I believe. Plus you can pick up at the airport. Car-share apps MIGHT let the car owner meet you at the airport but... I had to go out of my way to pick up out photoshoot car outside SFO.

I know the idea of renting a cool car for vacation is fun but do you REALLY want to worry about some other guy's car while you enjoy your vacation?
Same thoughts here, and all the jokes/stereo types aside, the US is famously a litigious society, so it's not just the vehicle from Turo I'm concerned about in a worse case scenario, it's other aspects which aren't too clear in the T&C's of the 'full' insurance provided.

Unfortunately isn't an easy hire like the rest of europe which I now breeze through the process in 5-10 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 09:19 AM   #11
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by percychow View Post

National:
"A 'Young Renter Fee' may be applied to your rental if you are between the ages of 21 and 24."
"Renters 21 through 24 years of age may be restricted to specific car classes" (likely the "fun" American sports cars)
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 11:45 AM   #12
IH8I405
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 428i

Garage List
2015 BMW 428i  [0.00]
I am on the fence of renting my car on Turo here in LA. I use it all the time when I travel to other states. Reading these posts makes me want to list my F32 on Turo.
Appreciate 0