F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Raging! 😡
ARMA SPEED

09-07-2021, 12:36 PM   #1
Colmsport
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport

Raging! 😡

What is it with tyre fitters?!?

Had two front tyres fitted today, first tyre change on the front since new, not bad going for 50k miles I thought…

Really didn’t want my unmarked 403m’s to get damaged so spent an age looking at reviews for tyre places locally, chose one based upon numerous reviews that mentioned ‘looked after my wheels’ etc.

So what happens… well I’ve got massive chunks of lacquer missing around the edge of the wheel, approx 8 inches around the circumference.

Told the fitter I wasn’t happy, to which he replied that he ‘did the best he could’! Really!!! Is it that hard??? Manager didn’t seem too bothered so now I’ve put a complaint in via their website. Not holding out much hope as tyres were bought from Blackcircles & this place only fitted them.

Anyone else had similar issues & got it sorted out by the tyre fitters??
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 01:19 PM   #2
BBri89
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d xDrive M Sport

Garage List
If you paid for fitting online rather than with the company, I'd take it up with blackcircles and say they've left your wheels in such a state you need them refurbished, which really you should do all 4 together for a proper colour match because they often look different if you do only one or two wheels.

It may be that blackcircles aren't interested, it may be that they basically tell the fitters to cough up towards a refurb or risk being taken off the website. But if you don't tell them about any issues, you can't expect those issues to ever get resolved

My progress thread
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 01:23 PM   #3
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: Looking

Is it part of a chain or indie?

I've traveled to places on strong recommendation for car related work to be done, they were totally gash and messed up loads of stuff. I think it's just unlucky though.

Some places just couldn't give one, I had my wheels powder coated satin black to avoid all issues related to diamond cut wheels….still had one place damage the face of them when rebalancing all the wheels. There was a faint score around the wheel on the face of the spokes. God knows how they did it.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 01:40 PM   #4
Colmsport
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBri89 View Post
If you paid for fitting online rather than with the company, I'd take it up with blackcircles and say they've left your wheels in such a state you need them refurbished, which really you should do all 4 together for a proper colour match because they often look different if you do only one or two wheels.

It may be that blackcircles aren't interested, it may be that they basically tell the fitters to cough up towards a refurb or risk being taken off the website. But if you don't tell them about any issues, you can't expect those issues to ever get resolved
Blackcircles have emailed me requesting feedback for the fitting, I’ve yet to provide that as wanted to give the fitters the opportunity to respond to the complaint I’ve made, although according to the auto reply email I’ve received will be up to 21 days…
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 01:42 PM   #5
Colmsport
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoShambolt View Post

I've traveled to places on strong recommendation for car related work to be done, they were totally gash and messed up loads of stuff. I think it's just unlucky though.

Some places just couldn't give one, I had my wheels powder coated satin black to avoid all issues related to diamond cut wheels….still had one place damage the face of them when rebalancing all the wheels. There was a faint score around the wheel on the face of the spokes. God knows how they did it.
Part of a chain.

I’ll post further details up when I receive a response.

To be honest, I’m not expecting much to come of it. The manager was quite happy for me to complain, not really sure what they can do as don’t think a localised repair would work…
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 01:52 PM   #6
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

I'd be fuming!

Question - how did you pay? Credit card will be protected by your bank under section 75 - breach of contract.

Basically the bank is also liable for the service you've paid for - usually a simple form (pictures and what went wrong) and they are legally obliged to give you a full refund. It's then up to the bank to chase black circles and not your problem.

Should cover the refurb, but granted an extreme scenario…just my thoughts.

Armaan
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 02:03 PM   #7
Colmsport
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaan View Post
I'd be fuming!

Question - how did you pay? Credit card will be protected by your bank under section 75 - breach of contract.

Basically the bank is also liable for the service you've paid for - usually a simple form (pictures and what went wrong) and they are legally obliged to give you a full refund. It's then up to the bank to chase black circles and not your problem.

Armaan
Good point, hadn’t thought about that. I did use my credit card to pay for them, although payment was made to Blackcircles. Not sure if this would make a difference or not?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 02:10 PM   #8
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Who can you trust these days to do a proper job?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 02:17 PM   #9
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colmsport View Post
Quote:
I'd be fuming!

Armaan
Good point, hadn't thought about that. I did use my credit card to pay for them, although payment was made to Blackcircles. Not sure if this would make a difference or not?
No difference at all - you paid them and their provider botched it. Not your problem, it's theirs.

Bank provides refund to you. What bank, blackcircles or the provider do is their issue, you'll get your money.

Armaan
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 02:21 PM   #10
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Had 4 new tyres fitted by F1 Autocentres last week. Purely on price.
Took 8 wheels/tyres in and told them to fit the new tyres on the straightest rims, then the best 2 old tyres on the next best 2. Couldn't have made a better job. Cleaned the wheels up. Balanced OK- didn't pay extra for the precision balance (with is that about?).
It was for a VW Caddy though, and the wheels were good to rough anyway!!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 02:32 PM   #11
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

yep - not good

hack for me is refurb after the tyre fitting - particularly if you getting 50k out of a set ....

....or ask fitter to be very careful with unmarked alloys; 'its £155 per corner to refurb', since 'I'm about to sell' - or other such excuse. You be marked down as 'difficult' but has meant no damaged wheels for me.

Make sure they put on the protective cover on the bead breaker if totally paranoid. yep thats me.

I have claimed from fitter in the past - not easy and inconvenient, hence above.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 02:58 PM   #12
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoShambolt View Post

Part of a chain.

I’ll post further details up when I receive a response.

To be honest, I’m not expecting much to come of it. The manager was quite happy for me to complain, not really sure what they can do as don’t think a localised repair would work…
It being a chain could be better for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 03:11 PM   #13
Paul D3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpina D3

I know it’s over the top pricing, but using BMW for my tyres has never left me with any alloy issues.
Appreciate 2
adam.b189.00
Jim23k57.50
      09-07-2021, 03:27 PM   #14
Colmsport
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for all your replies chaps.

I know in the grand scheme of things it’s not a big deal, but I really try & look after my car & it boils my p1ss when something like this happens.

Anyone have any direct experience of this happening & know what the likely outcome is likely to be?

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 04:05 PM   #15
330Stevie
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xdrive

Quote:
No difference at all - you paid them and their provider botched it. Not your problem, it's theirs.

Bank provides refund to you. What bank, blackcircles or the provider do is their issue, you'll get your money.

Armaan
Spot on advice!

In essence you’ve paid your credit card company for your tyre and fitting. It’s for them to sort out. I’ve used this act a couple of times when things have gone South.
Always use credit card for even just a small part of a large purchase and you’ll get the same protection
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 04:13 PM   #16
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
What is it with tyre fitters?!?

Had two front tyres fitted today, first tyre change on the front since new, not bad going for 50k miles I thought…

Really didn’t want my unmarked 403m’s to get damaged so spent an age looking at reviews for tyre places locally, chose one based upon numerous reviews that mentioned ‘looked after my wheels’ etc.

So what happens… well I’ve got massive chunks of lacquer missing around the edge of the wheel, approx 8 inches around the circumference.

Told the fitter I wasn’t happy, to which he replied that he ‘did the best he could’! Really!!! Is it that hard??? Manager didn’t seem too bothered so now I’ve put a complaint in via their website. Not holding out much hope as tyres were bought from Blackcircles & this place only fitted them.

Anyone else had similar issues & got it sorted out by the tyre fitters??
I had this exact same problem - a Blackcircles registered fitter scored the edges of three of my 403M wheels when they were still diamond cut.

PM me and I'll be happy to give you some insights which may help you make a claim.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 05:22 PM   #17
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D3 View Post
I know it’s over the top pricing, but using BMW for my tyres has never left me with any alloy issues.
They are not over the top at all, our local dealership will price match black circles or cheapest local independent on the day of them either ordering in or fitting tyres they have in stock. Also as my old man found out when he got like for likes fitted on his X3 if you are in the BMWCarClubGB and get Pirelli's fitted by BMW you can get a fuel card offer through them.
      09-07-2021, 05:34 PM   #18
dholdi2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 35d

I'd complain directly to Black Circles as that is who you have the contract with.
I used to have a Mk 1 Leon with the Cupra R body kit and needed a set of front tyres.
I bought them via BC and arranged fitting with a local BMW dealer thinking they would do a good job and it would give me chance to take a look round as I was looking for a BMW then.
Bad idea, they didn't refit the jacking covers correctly and 3 of them came loose on the motorway and hence were quite badly scuffed.
Why on earth they removed them in the first place was beyond me as they only allow access to the factory jack and surely they would have used a trolley jack, even more astounding was why they felt they needed to remove the rears when they were only replacing the front tyres.
I complained directly to BC and to their credit they sorted it quickly paying for both sills to be resprayed.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 03:04 AM   #19
AyrshireColin
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Taycan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENT-A-GOAT View Post
They are not over the top at all, our local dealership will price match black circles or cheapest local independent on the day of them either ordering in or fitting tyres they have in stock. Also as my old man found out when he got like for likes fitted on his X3 if you are in the BMWCarClubGB and get Pirelli's fitted by BMW you can get a fuel card offer through them.
This. My local dealership is the same, I think majority of people are unaware/don't ask.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 03:53 AM   #20
Dave-ncl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320d Black Shadow Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyrshireColin View Post
This. My local dealership is the same, I think majority of people are unaware/don't ask.
Same. Will price match.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 05:24 AM   #21
Colmsport
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
I had this exact same problem - a Blackcircles registered fitter scored the edges of three of my 403M wheels when they were still diamond cut.

PM me and I'll be happy to give you some insights which may help you make a claim.
Thanks - PM sent.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 06:58 AM   #22
James-335dx
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Performance

I believe that to be a tyre fitter you are required to have an IQ equal to that of a sparrow as I think everywhere I've ever been, bar Costco have cocked something up. Over the years I've had damage to wheels, directional tyres fitted the wrong way round, expensive alloy dust caps thrown in a skip etc, etc. On my last E90 it took one garage nearly 3 hours to put 2 new rear tyres on as they said they couldn't get the run flats on & off the wheels. On my way home I was seriously struggling to keep the rear of the car in line, so pulled over to check the tyres. Pressures on both rears was 150 Psi !!!!