F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Slight whirring noise from behind dash
Extreme Powerhouse

04-03-2019, 01:35 PM   #1
Addsy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Sunset Orange F30 318i

Slight whirring noise from behind dash

I have an ever so slight very quiet and continuous whirring noise that appears to emanate

from behind the heating/radio controls beneath the centre air vents.

I've tried sitting in the car for ten minutes but the noise still persists.It

sounds like a very small electric motor that is running.

The noise is present even though the car is parked,engine/ignition off and all

other systems have shut down and gone to sleep.

I've even tried disconnecting from remote assist and connected drive

thinking it may have been their internal workings but to no avail.

I've only owned the car for a few days and today was the first time I noticed it.

Just worried whatever it is may eventually drain the battery,any ideas ?

Last edited by Addsy; 04-03-2019 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 01:47 PM   #2
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Enthusiastically

Auxiliary heating, head unit fan, other than that no idea, sorry.
      04-03-2019, 02:18 PM   #3
Addsy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequin View Post
Auxiliary heating, head unit fan, other than that no idea, sorry.
I don't think it's either,the heating/climate control and engine are all off, as I say it's so quiet and at a steady pitch but still noticeable.

Thanks though for replying
Appreciate 1
Pequin230.00
      04-04-2019, 04:09 AM   #4
sunjas
sunjas
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 325d SE Auto

I've noticed that same whirring noise from my heater unit though only when the heating system is on. It's also becoming increasingly louder as time goes on.....
Appreciate 1
Addsy9.00
      04-04-2019, 05:11 AM   #5
Addsy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Checked again last night,again with engine and ignition off,it was silent so sat there for a minute or so and sure enough it started again of it's own accord.

Checked this morning and it was quiet,didn't bother hanging around,was satisfied with the fact there was no noise.

I think it must be something to do with some sort of cabin monitoring system.

I'll make enquiries when next at the dealers to try and find out what the motor noise may be,don't think it's anything to lose sleep over.

Thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 06:34 AM   #6
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

thier is a control unit/box back there for the idrive, and it could possibly be the fan for it kicking on. watch this to about the 2:17, shows an upgrade of the idrive and you will see the removal of the unit.

it is kind of wierd that you are hearing it as much as you are, I don't recall hearing mine.
      04-04-2019, 08:10 AM   #7
Addsy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
thier is a control unit/box back there for the idrive, and it could possibly be the fan for it kicking on. watch this to about the 2:17, shows an upgrade of the idrive and you will see the removal of the unit.

it is kind of wierd that you are hearing it as much as you are, I don't recall hearing mine.
Yeah,what in the clip he refers to as the 'CIC' unit is exactly where the whirring noise emanates.

There has to be total silence,car doors closed,no traffic noise etc to hear it and of course whatever the right circumstances are for it to be activated which as I say above isn't all the time.

Thanks Joe.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 09:44 AM   #8
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Is your vehicle covered by the warranty? If yes - just take to the dealer.

There are two possibilities in these instances.

- The fan is trying to cool a component which is running warmer than expected
- The temperature sensor is failing so the fan turns on
Appreciate 1
Addsy9.00
      04-04-2019, 10:54 AM   #9
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

On my old E39 there wasa tiny fan that circulated air onto a sensor for the climate control

I seem to remember that on the dash somewhere there was a small grille that if you put your ear to it you could hear the fan. Not sure where it is in a F30 though
Appreciate 1
Addsy9.00
      03-04-2021, 06:52 PM   #10
kraulto
Enlisted Member
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2015 320D

Am bumping this thread. I realize the age of this thread and apologize if this issue has been addressed.

Hi Addsy,

My 2016 320D, exactly the same issue. This whirring, fan sound also gets activated, when a door or doors, trunk or hood are opened or simply turning the radio on. Then when driven, it becomes progressively louder as it coincides with engine revolutions. The sound actually drowns out the a/c blower. I sometimes get confused as to which fan is running. On the bright side, it shuts off in exactly 5 mins. and 55 seconds. The timer begins as soon as the engine is turned off, accs off, and all doors, trunk and hood are closed.
Unfortunately, turns right back on as soon a door is opened, or an accessory is turned on like the radio. Were you able to get the issue resolved?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 02:27 PM   #11
Addsy
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hi kraulto,

Took it to the dealers shortly after starting the thread and they simply weren't interested, sat in the car with a Service Advisor and you've guessed it "They all do that, it's nothing to worry about"

It still does it but in saying that have lived with it and mostly forgotten about it.
Even though I'm not driving it much these days due to the lockdown I trickle charge the battery once a month and have never suffered a flat battery or any other bother with it.
Fairly convinced the Service Advisor was right.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 08:02 AM   #12
kraulto
Enlisted Member
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2015 320D

First of all, highly appreciate your prompt reply.
I did take it to the dealer today, and they, 2 guys from parts, and a senior service advisor, are as perplexed as I was. They have never encountered such an issue on any BMW...ever!
I kinda got a disclaimer as well, "...as long as it shuts off...then you shouldn't worry about it".
The service advisor added, we obviously don't do repairs, and, in your case, the solution will be to replace the head unit. This pandemic will greatly impede the ordering and delivery of the of the head unit from Germany. Short of saying, we will never get it.
This is terribly frustrating and annoying, but you sir have learned to live with it and so shall I. You have saved me a ton of money and my sanity.
Thanks again.

PS - It shuts off anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addsy View Post
Hi kraulto,

Took it to the dealers shortly after starting the thread and they simply weren't interested, sat in the car with a Service Advisor and you've guessed it "They all do that, it's nothing to worry about"

It still does it but in saying that have lived with it and mostly forgotten about it.
Even though I'm not driving it much these days due to the lockdown I trickle charge the battery once a month and have never suffered a flat battery or any other bother with it.
Fairly convinced the Service Advisor was right.
Appreciate 1
Addsy9.00