F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > seating issue LHD/RHD switched buttons CANBUS?
GetBMWParts

02-22-2019, 09:20 AM   #1
nl dutchy jay
Rep
Drives: F31

seating issue LHD/RHD switched buttons CANBUS?

Hey people! Ive got a question/issue and turn to you all hoping to find an answer!

Having an almost full options f31, I couldn't understand they just used the basic, stocker than stock, seats. Luckily with seat heating, but thats it. So ive searched day and night for a retrofit.

Now i've changed those to manual sports seats. From a very "reliable" vendor, who claimed that there was nothing wrong with them. Anyhow, Ill spare the full list of things thats wrong. Now ive got two questions, one more serious than the other.

1st question; the "squeezing" sides of the passenger chair don't seem to inflate. And if they do, they seem to deflate at the same time. You do hear the little pump, but it makes a different sound than the pump that does work. I've heard these things never break. But clearly it did, right? Electrical wise: ive looped the power supply of the pump to the main chair power supply, and the ground to the main ground. The other chair it works perfectly fine in.

Now the more pressing issue. Using the seat heating button on the left hand side (euro car, so drivers side) turns on the heating in the passenger chair, and the passenger chair heating button turns on the drivers chair. So i've figured that these chairs are possibly from a RHD car (UK) and the canbus is misreading them. I could live with the fact that the buttons are switched, however airbag related it gets more serious...

Now is this something I can change with a coding cable? Or can i exchange the memory/canbus module somewhere between the seats? And if so, where are these located?

I think i've wired them correctly, although there is one pin i didn't understand. It looped from the car's wiring loom directly back into another pin of the wiring loom. It was a seperate plastic connector housing, and it was only there on the passenger side (the end of the series connected wiring loom). Seeing heating works, sortof, i figured ive done good just carrying that over to the new seats. But I am really at the loss what the function of this cable is, and if I should've carried it over.

I hope i make sense!

Thanks so much for reading this far, and hope you all can help me a little

Thanks from the Netherlands!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 02:35 PM   #2
nl dutchy jay
Rep

No one that has ever done a chair transplant?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 12:44 PM   #3
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D (2015)

There is a control module under each seat. I swapped my seats out and did the wiring for the heated seats and side adjustment a couple of weeks ago and noticed that each seat's control module has a different part number. They looked the same so perhaps you would be able to swap them around but it unfortunately it will probably require you to unbolt the seats to get to the underside.

I can't remember which of my seats this is from and I apologise that it isn't the best picture but you can see it's quite near the yellow connector:

I think you'd be fine with the airbag/tensioners though as they are just a direct electrical connection whereas the heated seat modules are controlled by linbus so obviously each module must be able to identify which seat it's for.

As for your pump issue it could well be that the pump is broken. There are only two pins required for it, pin 1 for the +12v and pin 16 for ground. If yours is attempting to make a noise then perhaps it is broken. It's easy to get to the pump though - can't remember if they're the same part for each seat, so you could try swapping the two around?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 07:03 AM   #4
nl dutchy jay
Rep

Lifesaver! Thank you so much! And that picture is all I needed!

Thanks again so much man. Ill swap these out
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 06:20 AM   #5
nl dutchy jay
Rep

Unfortunately, swapping the seat heating modules didnt fix the issue.
Airbags are indeed another circuit (created an airbag error) so there's no worry about that!

I will now have to figure out what else i can swap around to fix this issue...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 04:19 AM   #6
N8k
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nl dutchy jay View Post
Unfortunately, swapping the seat heating modules didnt fix the issue.
Airbags are indeed another circuit (created an airbag error) so there's no worry about that!

I will now have to figure out what else i can swap around to fix this issue...
Hello!!! Did you figure out how to fix your problems ?! Because after i change seats from base to sport leather from lci car i got the same issue with seat heating(passenger seat heat work after i press button on driver side). I changed seat modules as well, tryed to change their sides and from old ones to new - nothing make sense. Dont know where to go next ...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 11:28 AM   #7
Andrew48
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Hello!
I recently purchased M-sport front seats from RHD car (from UK) and want to install them in my car (LHD - US).
What should I do to avoid any errors with the seat belts and airbags? Only swap electric blocks between my new RHD seats?

Part number of the electric blocks on the RHD seats are same as on your photo (same on the both seats!):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zheez View Post

Appreciate 0