F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Bootmod Burble Settings
ARMA SPEED

09-30-2018, 07:09 AM   #1
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Glacier Silver F30 328i

Bootmod Burble Settings

I'm currently running the OTS burble setting on the Bootmod Stage 2 PTF OTS 93 oct non AGG flash. It's a great burble tune but I feel like it's not quiet hitting the sweet spot for my liking. The length of the burbles every time I let off the gas it a little too much for my liking. I still want my pops and bangs but I'd like to adjust it a bit. (Sorry guys/gals I'm old! ) I'm about to dip into the "custom" settings on the burble section in my map so I can reflash but I'm not sure what most of the settings do. If someone could help me out in explaining a few of them that would be a huge help. Below is a screen shot of what it looks like when I open up the "custom" second in my tune.

1. I see 2 different settings for Duration. I'm sure this is how long the burble/backfires would hold in seconds while in comfort and sport mode?

2. Aggression: Would this be the attack of the burble?

3. Min and Max Speed/Min and Max RPM - Would this be when the burble kicks it and certain speeds and RPM's?

4. Cold start heating: I'm running catless so I'm sure I can turn this off?

5. Cold start idle: 3 opinions: Idle after RPM, Off, or Custom. Not sure what this is for?

6. Exhaust Flap Sport: I'm running and AWE Exhaust Sweet with AWE Mid pipe so I'm sure none of these settings are going to apply. There's an OEM, Open, and Closed option. I'm sure I would just keep this to OEM?

7. Speed Limiter (VMAX) OEM or Off?

8. Cat Monitors: OEM or Off. I'm catless so I'm sure I would keep this setting in the off position?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
Attached Images

2014 GLACIER SILVER F30 328i * Wheels:18" VMR V801 Titanium Black Shadow * Springs: DINAN 1" Lowering Springs * Tune: BM3 OTS E30/93 OCT * Engine: Evolution Racewerks Catless DP/CP/FMIC * Intake: AWE S-Flo Carbon Fiber Intake * Exhaust: AWE Exhaust Suite + Mid Pipe * Go Fast Bits DV+ Diverter Valve * Plugs: NGK LI Plugs * Lights: Depo Angel Eyes W/ Morimoto HID's * Hood: Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood
Appreciate 2
      09-30-2018, 10:56 AM   #2
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fate_f30 View Post
I'm currently running the OTS burble setting on the Bootmod Stage 2 PTF OTS 93 oct non AGG flash. It's a great burble tune but I feel like it's not quiet hitting the sweet spot for my liking. The length of the burbles every time I let off the gas it a little too much for my liking. I still want my pops and bangs but I'd like to adjust it a bit. (Sorry guys/gals I'm old! ) I'm about to dip into the "custom" settings on the burble section in my map so I can reflash but I'm not sure what most of the settings do. If someone could help me out in explaining a few of them that would be a huge help. Below is a screen shot of what it looks like when I open up the "custom" second in my tune.

1. I see 2 different settings for Duration. I'm sure this is how long the burble/backfires would hold in seconds while in comfort and sport mode?

2. Aggression: Would this be the attack of the burble?

3. Min and Max Speed/Min and Max RPM - Would this be when the burble kicks it and certain speeds and RPM's?

4. Cold start heating: I'm running catless so I'm sure I can turn this off?

5. Cold start idle: 3 opinions: Idle after RPM, Off, or Custom. Not sure what this is for?

6. Exhaust Flap Sport: I'm running and AWE Exhaust Sweet with AWE Mid pipe so I'm sure none of these settings are going to apply. There's an OEM, Open, and Closed option. I'm sure I would just keep this to OEM?

7. Speed Limiter (VMAX) OEM or Off?

8. Cat Monitors: OEM or Off. I'm catless so I'm sure I would keep this setting in the off position?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
1. Correct, how long the burbles last from the time they start to the last burble.

2. Simply how aggressive they are. The further to the right you turn up the aggression slider, the more your gunshot-like your burbles will be. The further to the left, the more mild and just burbly they will be.

3. With this you can create a window outside of which burbles cannot happen. For example if you only want burbles between 4k-5k rpm, set the min to 4k and the max to 5k. Same with speed.

4. Yep, turn it off. Quiets down cold starts quiet a bit.

5. This one lets you adjust cold start rpm if you leave #4 on, but since it's turned off this one does nothing.

6. Since you ditched the OEM exhaust, I would leave at OEM, even though it's not going to do anything like ya said.

7. Off Doesn't really matter unless you plan on exceeding 132mph

8. This will determine whether you'll get a CEL from the catless downpipe. Turn it off in order to get rid of the CEL.

That burble setting that you screenshotted looks pretty nice and mild, have you tried flashing that one yet? I'd be surprised if you found that too aggressive.
      09-30-2018, 12:15 PM   #3
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdnyy224 View Post
1. Correct, how long the burbles last from the time they start to the last burble.

2. Simply how aggressive they are. The further to the right you turn up the aggression slider, the more your gunshot-like your burbles will be. The further to the left, the more mild and just burbly they will be.

3. With this you can create a window outside of which burbles cannot happen. For example if you only want burbles between 4k-5k rpm, set the min to 4k and the max to 5k. Same with speed.

4. Yep, turn it off. Quiets down cold starts quiet a bit.

5. This one lets you adjust cold start rpm if you leave #4 on, but since it's turned off this one does nothing.

6. Since you ditched the OEM exhaust, I would leave at OEM, even though it's not going to do anything like ya said.

7. Off Doesn't really matter unless you plan on exceeding 132mph

8. This will determine whether you'll get a CEL from the catless downpipe. Turn it off in order to get rid of the CEL.

That burble setting that you screenshotted looks pretty nice and mild, have you tried flashing that one yet? I'd be surprised if you found that too aggressive.
Once again thanks for the HELP. I haven't flashed that one. It was the one that came up as a default when I selected "custom". I wonder if this is the OTS burble tune and it brings it over into the custom setting if you want to adjust it? I also was going to wait to flash once my boost problem is fixed so if PTF makes an adjustment in my tune I'm not doing it twice for no reason.
2014 GLACIER SILVER F30 328i * Wheels:18" VMR V801 Titanium Black Shadow * Springs: DINAN 1" Lowering Springs * Tune: BM3 OTS E30/93 OCT * Engine: Evolution Racewerks Catless DP/CP/FMIC * Intake: AWE S-Flo Carbon Fiber Intake * Exhaust: AWE Exhaust Suite + Mid Pipe * Go Fast Bits DV+ Diverter Valve * Plugs: NGK LI Plugs * Lights: Depo Angel Eyes W/ Morimoto HID's * Hood: Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2018, 01:21 PM   #4
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Once again thanks for the HELP. I haven't flashed that one. It was the one that came up as a default when I selected "custom". I wonder if this is the OTS burble tune and it brings it over into the custom setting if you want to adjust it? I also was going to wait to flash once my boost problem is fixed so if PTF makes an adjustment in my tune I'm not doing it twice for no reason.
Oh ok gotcha. I'm not sure if the default custom is the same as OTS, but it may be. Either way, once your boost problem is sorted like you said, I'd give that configuration a try, I suspect it would suit you nicely .
      09-30-2018, 01:29 PM   #5
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh ok gotcha. I'm not sure if the default custom is the same as OTS, but it may be. Either way, once your boost problem is sorted like you said, I'd give that configuration a try, I suspect it would suit you nicely .
Indeed! I’ll keep you all posted about my boost issue. Besides that the car is running great. I can’t even tell I have an issue but if that’s going to help get more power out of the tune I definitely want to solve it.
Appreciate 1
rjd_F301999.50
      10-01-2018, 09:12 AM   #6
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Indeed! I’ll keep you all posted about my boost issue. Besides that the car is running great. I can’t even tell I have an issue but if that’s going to help get more power out of the tune I definitely want to solve it.
In terms of loudness, this sums up how loud they can get lol:

This is for the aggressiveness + time but keep in mind that here they are so loud they drown out the microphone and sound like firecrackers.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2018, 09:35 AM   #7
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
In terms of loudness, this sums up how loud they can get lol:

This is for the aggressiveness + time but keep in mind that here they are so loud they drown out the microphone and sound like firecrackers.

Ha! Insane!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 11:37 AM   #8
Fronttwelv
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 328i xdrive msport

set it on mild for comfort and aggressive for sport! that way you can turn it on and off as you like
      10-01-2018, 05:21 PM   #9
merlin6014
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I'm running Stage 1 on an F30 335i and I am getting burbles but they are so QUIET. Its a stock exhaust no downpipe - is that normal? In Sport you can hear it bubbling away only if you really strain your ears with all windows down.

I wanted to stay Stage 1 with this car, don't want downpipe etc etc but do want burbles.
      10-01-2018, 06:18 PM   #10
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin6014 View Post
I'm running Stage 1 on an F30 335i and I am getting burbles but they are so QUIET. Its a stock exhaust no downpipe - is that normal? In Sport you can hear it bubbling away only if you really strain your ears with all windows down.

I wanted to stay Stage 1 with this car, don't want downpipe etc etc but do want burbles.
It will be pretty hard to get anything more than mild burbles with the stock downpipe, the cat kills them.

However, if you want to try stage one, try out an AWE or MPE exhaust to net you louder burbles without changing out the downpipe. They still won't be as loud as they would be catless, but certainly louder than a totally stock exhaust.
      10-01-2018, 07:25 PM   #11
Rillaaa
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30 3 seriesN20

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin6014 View Post

It will be pretty hard to get anything more than mild burbles with the stock downpipe, the cat kills them.

However, if you want to try stage one, try out an AWE or MPE exhaust to net you louder burbles without changing out the downpipe. They still won't be as loud as they would be catless, but certainly louder than a totally stock exhaust.
Yea I'm having the same issue, I just bought an oem 335 exhaust for my 320 would that help?? Running stage one fully stock (except intake of coarse lol)
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 07:31 PM   #12
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rillaaa View Post
Yea I'm having the same issue, I just bought an oem 335 exhaust for my 320 would that help?? Running stage one fully stock (except intake of coarse lol)
It'll definitely help a little bit, but for gunshots or even loud burbles, catless is a must.
      10-02-2018, 07:11 PM   #13
Rillaaa
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30 3 seriesN20

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
It'll definitely help a little bit, but for gunshots or even loud burbles, catless is a must.
Another question (can't find this in the threads). But on bm3 since the 320 doesn't. Have the exhaust flap what should I leave it as on the tune when you enter configurations??
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 07:44 PM   #14
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Another question (can't find this in the threads). But on bm3 since the 320 doesn't. Have the exhaust flap what should I leave it as on the tune when you enter configurations??
I feel like you shouldn't have the option, given that your car doesn't have an exhaust flap. BM3 should recognize your DME type (which I assume wouldn't be programmed for an exhaust flap) and give you configurables accordingly.

That said, since you do have the option, I would either not touch it or leave it at OEM.

Last edited by rjd_F30; 10-02-2018 at 09:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 08:50 AM   #15
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I feel like you shouldn't have the option, given that your car doesn't have an exhaust flap. BM3 should recognize your DME type (which I assume wouldn't be programmed for an exhaust flap) and give you configurables accordingly.

That said, since you do have the option, I would either not touch it or leave it at OEM.
He shares the same DME, so he would still have the option but that would require that he has the flap and it is wired as such: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ystem/GS1zpZLe

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 09:40 AM   #16
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
He shares the same DME, so he would still have the option but that would require that he has the flap and it is wired as such: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ystem/GS1zpZLe
Ok gotcha. My thought process about it having to do with the DME was wrong, but I would've just assumed he wouldn't have the exhaust flap configurable because he doesn't have an exhaust flap. My bad
      10-03-2018, 12:15 PM   #17
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ok gotcha. My thought process about it having to do with the DME was wrong, but I would've just assumed he wouldn't have the exhaust flap configurable because he doesn't have an exhaust flap. My bad
No worries. Pretty much if they're the same DME, you can use the feature of another car. Similar to running paddles. You may get a base model, like I did, with no paddles and you just simply have to turn it on in the DME. For the valve, I would assume at a maximum (in addition to wiring) that you may need to enable it, but I'm not sure.

Appreciate 1
rjd_F301999.50
      10-03-2018, 12:38 PM   #18
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No worries. Pretty much if they're the same DME, you can use the feature of another car. Similar to running paddles. You may get a base model, like I did, with no paddles and you just simply have to turn it on in the DME. For the valve, I would assume at a maximum (in addition to wiring) that you may need to enable it, but I'm not sure.
Ah that makes sense. So they make the DME assuming the car is fully optioned and then activate only the options that are present on the car. Makes perfect sense from a cost and manufacturing perspective
      10-03-2018, 12:50 PM   #19
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ah that makes sense. So they make the DME assuming the car is fully optioned and then activate only the options that are present on the car. Makes perfect sense from a cost and manufacturing perspective
Yup. That's why even base models can get SAT even without paddles. Everyone should enable it even if they don't plan to retrofit paddles.

Every car comes with a VO (Vehicle Order) defined with the codes which correlate to packages. For example, when doing SAT (Sport Automatic Transmission) and paddles, you can replace the 205 code (base model) with 2TB (sport/m-sport models) and it enables both SAT and Paddles. You can pretty much enable anything and retrofit the car.

Appreciate 1
rjd_F301999.50
      03-16-2019, 06:27 PM   #20
Fonzy31
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335i ActiveHybrid 3

hi everyone
what is the difference betwenn the burble types, most especially between OEM and Original.
Thank you !
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2019, 11:57 PM   #21
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzy31 View Post
hi everyone
what is the difference betwenn the burble types, most especially between OEM and Original.
Thank you !
Old thread....I hope you still find this useful..
Hi Fonzy... if you see the selection OEM, OTS, Original and custom.

My experience are this (using scale 1 to 10... with 1 being no burble and 10 burble and pops)
OEM = is 1 or 2 .... like 0.2 sec burble and no pops
OTS = 4 or 5 ... like 1 to 1.5 sec burble and pops of you induced them pops)
Original = basically this is aggressive 3 sec or more burble and pops more. ( by the way this is what you get when you flash BM3 by default without changing parameters, just download and flash.

I know I flash them all. Trying to find what I want and considering I run stock cat with catback awe quad exhaust. I don't want pops .... I just want little bit burbles.
Appreciate 2
MAKH 588.50
david51537.50
      02-24-2020, 07:12 AM   #22
Danny.n
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
Old thread....I hope you still find this useful..
Hi Fonzy... if you see the selection OEM, OTS, Original and custom.

My experience are this (using scale 1 to 10... with 1 being no burble and 10 burble and pops)
OEM = is 1 or 2 .... like 0.2 sec burble and no pops
OTS = 4 or 5 ... like 1 to 1.5 sec burble and pops of you induced them pops)
Original = basically this is aggressive 3 sec or more burble and pops more. ( by the way this is what you get when you flash BM3 by default without changing parameters, just download and flash.

I know I flash them all. Trying to find what I want and considering I run stock cat with catback awe quad exhaust. I don't want pops .... I just want little bit burbles.
Hey, I recently got a catback AWE dual exhaust installed on my 328i and after getting bootmod3 I’ve noticed a considerable difference in the loudness of my exhaust. It makes a lot more burbles but has gotten way quieter once I tuned my car and I’m just wondering if you’ve had the same problem?

Last edited by Danny.n; 02-24-2020 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 0