F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N20 Charge pipe install instructions
proTUNING Freaks

11-25-2018, 01:24 PM   #1
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

N20 Charge pipe install instructions

Can someone point me to a thread with instructions on installing the charge and inlet pipes on an N20 equipped car? I tried searching, but maybe I'm not using the right key words. What I'm mainly trying to find out is if it can all be done from under the hood, or if I need to go underneath as well. I have a set of Treadstone pipes on the way; I know they will include instructions, but I wanted to be a little ahead of the game before they get here.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 01:35 PM   #2
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IraHayes View Post
Can someone point me to a thread with instructions on installing the charge and inlet pipes on an N20 equipped car? I tried searching, but maybe I'm not using the right key words. What I'm mainly trying to find out is if it can all be done from under the hood, or if I need to go underneath as well. I have a set of Treadstone pipes on the way; I know they will include instructions, but I wanted to be a little ahead of the game before they get here.
You should be doing this on ramps, with access to both the top and bottom of engine compartment. Also best to have a helping hand near by although I was able to install (along with FMIC) without any help whatsoever.

Youll be fine.

I recommend upgrading FMIC at the same time and being done with it. Should be able to make that happen for under $300 more. Just saying.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 01:57 PM   #3
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
You should be doing this on ramps, with access to both the top and bottom of engine compartment. Also best to have a helping hand near by although I was able to install (along with FMIC) without any help whatsoever.

Youll be fine.

I recommend upgrading FMIC at the same time and being done with it. Should be able to make that happen for under $300 more. Just saying.

Good luck
Thanks for the reply. I'm planning on leaving the car bone stock. I'm just replacing the turbo related plumbing for reliability and peace of mind, so I think I will stick with the OEM FMIC for now. Is there a reason for replacing the FMIC? Any known reliability issues?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 03:39 PM   #4
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IraHayes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post

Youll be fine.

Good luck
Thanks for the reply. I'm planning on leaving the car bone stock. I'm just replacing the turbo related plumbing for reliability and peace of mind, so I think I will stick with the OEM FMIC for now. Is there a reason for replacing the FMIC? Any known reliability issues?
No known reliability issues. As long as you never plan to push the car beyond its current performance levels, you'll be fine with stock.
Appreciate 1
rjd_F301999.50