F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest > Thinking of a road trip from SoCal to Aspen, CO: recommendations?
ARMA SPEED

09-03-2020, 11:46 AM   #1
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Thinking of a road trip from SoCal to Aspen, CO: recommendations?

It's time for a road trip.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what to do / see in Aspen, CO area?

Will be driving from SoCal to Aspen. Anything to see while in transit?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 11:48 AM   #2
thelifeofmikeyy
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Depends on the time of year, but I would recommend taking the long way and seeing as much of the south west as you can! I see you are from Orange County, so your most direct route would be i15 through Las Vegas on up into Utah where you will meet i70 East. That will take you all the way to Glenwood Springs / Aspen. If you are up for an adventure, I'd recommend heading East from OC towards Phoenix, head North up to Sedona / Flagstaff and crash for the night. Then, drive through the reservation and see Monument Valley, while headed north towards Utah. You'll drive through some beautiful country all the way through Moab, where you'll catch i70 just north by Crescent Junction. Aspen is about 3hrs from there depending on your stops and speed.

I've done the drive from SoCal to Steamboat Springs countless times and always prefer the Arizona route for the adventure and views, but also because your chances of hitting snow/ice/inclement weather are much lower during the winter months.

Enjoy Aspen! Snowmass is great, Aspen Mountain is a gem with great apres ski, buttermilk is awesome to avoid crowds on a powder day, and the bowl at Highlands is a must-do!
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5849.00
      11-03-2022, 06:21 PM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelifeofmikeyy View Post
Depends on the time of year, but I would recommend taking the long way and seeing as much of the south west as you can! I see you are from Orange County, so your most direct route would be i15 through Las Vegas on up into Utah where you will meet i70 East. That will take you all the way to Glenwood Springs / Aspen. If you are up for an adventure, I'd recommend heading East from OC towards Phoenix, head North up to Sedona / Flagstaff and crash for the night. Then, drive through the reservation and see Monument Valley, while headed north towards Utah. You'll drive through some beautiful country all the way through Moab, where you'll catch i70 just north by Crescent Junction. Aspen is about 3hrs from there depending on your stops and speed.

I've done the drive from SoCal to Steamboat Springs countless times and always prefer the Arizona route for the adventure and views, but also because your chances of hitting snow/ice/inclement weather are much lower during the winter months.

Enjoy Aspen! Snowmass is great, Aspen Mountain is a gem with great apres ski, buttermilk is awesome to avoid crowds on a powder day, and the bowl at Highlands is a must-do!
Excellent advice. Thank you. Will plan it for next year after the winter season.
Appreciate 0