F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Bootmod3 / other mods
Studio RSR

11-09-2018, 07:21 AM   #1
Brice.omalley
f3X 335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 335i xdrive M-Sport

Bootmod3 / other mods

Im writing this because I am a little confused as to what my first power mods should be. i've got a 15' f30 335i, and I want to run a BM3. I know that buying this and trying to run it on stock parts will cause a lot of problems, so I am wondering what other parts I should buy when I purchase the BM3 so that way the car will run the best. people have told me to upgrade the chargepipe and downpipe, but i am wondering if i need anymore parts. Any suggestion?

(also if this is put in the wrong part of the forum, can someone please put it in the right spot. thanks)
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 07:29 AM   #2
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brice.omalley View Post
Im writing this because I am a little confused as to what my first power mods should be. i've got a 15' f30 335i, and I want to run a BM3. I know that buying this and trying to run it on stock parts will cause a lot of problems, so I am wondering what other parts I should buy when I purchase the BM3 so that way the car will run the best. people have told me to upgrade the chargepipe and downpipe, but i am wondering if i need anymore parts. Any suggestion?

(also if this is put in the wrong part of the forum, can someone please put it in the right spot. thanks)
It wont cause "problems" like your thinking!

Esp. if it's just stage 1 which you should be at with completely stock.

Definitely do the chargepipe. I dont have a tune and I did it.

The DP is a must if you go stage 2!
      11-09-2018, 07:47 AM   #3
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

Really the only part you need is a metal charge pipe as perryo91 already mentioned and you can run stage 1 otherwise stock. If you want to go stage 2 you'll need a high-flow or catless downpipe and more efficient intercooler. All other bolt-ons like intakes and exhaust are just for sound aesthetics without much performance impact.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 4
perryo91372.50
ronanz1819.50
mark_tdot185.00
      11-09-2018, 07:48 AM   #4
Brice.omalley
f3X 335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 335i xdrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryo91 View Post

ok cool. thanks for the info. ill have to look into chargepipe brands. I know that ER has a popular one.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 07:55 AM   #5
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brice.omalley View Post
ok cool. thanks for the info. ill have to look into chargepipe brands. I know that ER has a popular one.
Yeah just get eR, it's a lil more expensive than VRSF, and I think than active autowerke.

I bought the VRSF, but if I can do it again i'd do the ER.

in the end it's just a metal pipe, so just like DPs; its the same across all. so.
      11-09-2018, 08:00 AM   #6
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

ER is great. If you want a less expensive alternative with good build quality the charge pipe from FTP is also an option. I've been running it for 20k miles with no issues, no boost leaks and good fitment to my CTS Turbo FMIC and the stock throttle body.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 02:52 PM   #7
Derekrpd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i Xdrive

Seems like the down pipe for these cars is a popular and effective mod, especially when the boost is increased. I know the CEL codes can be cleared with ECU changes but how is everyone passing local state inspections? Are you guys taking the pipe in and out for your yearly inspection?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 03:16 PM   #8
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

In most states you can pass emission with one emissions monitor not ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekrpd View Post

Seems like the down pipe for these cars is a popular and effective mod, especially when the boost is increased. I know the CEL codes can be cleared with ECU changes but how is everyone passing local state inspections? Are you guys taking the pipe in and out for your yearly inspection?

SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 12:38 PM   #9
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekrpd View Post

I live in florida so no inspections
      11-12-2018, 05:44 AM   #10
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

LoL what's with the hate for VRSF around here lately? I've had their CP and DP installed for months now and they've been performing flawlessly.
      11-12-2018, 09:18 AM   #11
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
LoL what's with the hate for VRSF around here lately? I've had their CP and DP installed for months now and they've been performing flawlessly.
There has been a lot of negative forum publicity due to quality concerns and fitment issues.
      11-12-2018, 10:59 AM   #12
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdegene View Post
Quote:
There has been a lot of negative forum publicity due to quality concerns and fitment issues.
I've seen them. Each time VRSF chimes in and tries to make it right by either offering refunds or replacements people continue to be negative and bash. All products have issues here and there, it's the customer service in the end that matters and if they are attempting to make it right we should be happy about that. I can't speak for anyone else but my VRSF pieces have been great and price was even better.
      11-12-2018, 12:06 PM   #13
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdegene View Post
Quote:
I've seen them. Each time VRSF chimes in and tries to make it right by either offering refunds or replacements people continue to be negative and bash. All products have issues here and there, it's the customer service in the end that matters and if they are attempting to make it right we should be happy about that. I can't speak for anyone else but my VRSF pieces have been great and price was even better.
I'm glad that yours are perfect, and I agree. Customer service is everything. Just look at what's happened to Dinan recently. Love the part quality, but there is absolutely no customer service.

Buuuuuuuuuuut. VSRF hasn't been making the best choices with how customer dissatisfaction is handled in the forum. There was a thread about CP manufacturing where VSRF tried to explain that it didn't matter how it looked. I think you know what I'm referring to. VSRF actually asked the customer "how the issue would affect performance or reliability". To be fair, they were more than willing to offer a replacement or refund, but this type of response should never come from a vendor. Especially not where hundreds of potential buyers will read it.

I have considered VSRF products in the past. I've never purchased from VSRF and I probably never will after the more recent negative publicity. As a scientist, the way that thread played out was highly concerning.

I can't imagine how hard it would be to be in a vendors position though, especially after someone posts a complaint on a public forum. I really don't see a winning scenario for them. It's shitty.

In the end, I'd rather deal with bad customer service that I'll never need over great customer service that I need all the time...
      11-16-2018, 10:40 AM   #14
Dheeth-G80
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3C

Quote:
Same, I am all VRSF (FMIC, CP, DP) no fitment or quality issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 06:05 PM   #15
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dheeth-F30 View Post
Same, I am all VRSF (FMIC, CP, DP) no fitment or quality issues.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0