F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > F30 NBT Retrofit Black Screen
ARMA SPEED

05-24-2023, 07:01 PM   #1
tikalize
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E60

F30 NBT Retrofit Black Screen

Hey guys I just finish my upgrade from HU_Entry to HU_NBT and I bought a cable off ebay from display to HU

Iam getting a black display (No power). I have not coded the unit yet. Could that be the reason why? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by tikalize; 05-25-2023 at 02:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 07:32 PM   #2
tikalize
Enlisted Member
Rep

HU_NBT
8.8 Display
Touch controller
Touch Module
Y Harness
GPS Antenna
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 11:33 PM   #3
tikalize
Enlisted Member
Rep

I figured it out.Not only was the power wires inverted but the cable was pinned incorrectly. I thought I was buying a PnP cable. The Ebay listing read "Perfect for NBT retrofitting" I swapped the power wires and got "NO SIGNAL" then I probed each wire individually for continuity using a fluke and Cut/Solder and shrink tubed and made a usable cable. The signal wires weren't even 45 or 180 degrees off they were completely swapped! Any way Works great now. Do yourself a favor and stay away from "overseas" garbage cables. If I didn't have knowledge of electronics I would have been totally frustrated....

Last edited by tikalize; 05-25-2023 at 02:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 06:02 AM   #4
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D (2015)

Nice work. You'd expect it to just work when it fits (since as you'll know, Entry and NBT video cables are keyed differently).

It's a good thing these screens don't die when the power/ground wires are the wrong way round
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2023, 10:18 AM   #5
tikalize
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zheez View Post
Nice work. You'd expect it to just work when it fits (since as you'll know, Entry and NBT video cables are keyed differently).

It's a good thing these screens don't die when the power/ground wires are the wrong way round
Correct I understand Entry and NBT are pinned differently from prior research before the retrofit. Thats why I purchased a PnP cable (at least I thought it was PnP) You would expect if you purchased a cable from a seller that claimed that it is the right one for the task you are trying to complete to be PnP. I edited my first and second post because I did not want to throw the vendor under the bus. I don't like to cut and chop cables if there is a correct cable for the job. Unfortunately, I had to do just that to make this work. Anyway, I hope this helps the next person that happens to buy one of these cables. No worries Man..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 05:29 PM   #6
zach12wallence
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i

I’m having a similar experience. I purchased a aftermarket radio. I installed it and everything was working fine except the idrive portion it was glitching and having lines in the screen. After a day. Screen went black and now have nothing. I put original radio in still nothing. Maybe you know of something I don’t but I need help.
Appreciate 0