F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
proTUNING Freaks

07-18-2020, 12:32 PM   #3565
gg3orgiev
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d F31 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg3orgiev View Post
Hi guys,

I updated my Andream unit with the latest software v2.1.0.6.gpe.b and MCU 20.06.02 in order to take advantage of the Wireless Android Auto. After the update, the phone is recognized but I get this error when Android Auto is loading:
So it seems to launch wireless AA the phone needs internet connection. When I was in the underground garage with no reception, I get the error above. When I go outsite with the car and have mobile data, wireless AA launches.

To summarize what I have done to start using wireless AA with my Galaxy S9:
1. Update System Software and MCU to latest version (Reply #3 on the 1st page)
2. Enable Developer mode for Anrdoid Auto. Enable wireless projection from Developer settings.
3. Your phone must have internet connection when attempting to launch wireless AA.
4. Turn on Bluetooth and connect to Carlink and wait for a few seconds
5. MMI recognizes your phone and a popup apears, which you have to confirm with the IDrive controller.
6. Wireless AA is launched.
Appreciate 1
xmax314.50
      07-18-2020, 12:46 PM   #3566
biomed27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30

Just upgraded andream unit to latest version. All the bugs seemed to be resolved but I noticed that the menu button stopped working. Prior to the update, pressing the menu button would exit the app and display all the apps. Anyway to enable that again?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 01:03 PM   #3567
Molinetti
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

Hi again, I continue with wireless carplay connection problems, it works more or less automatically 50%, the rest of ones I require to connect disconnect BT connection and usually works, sometimes I have need to restart MMI. Anyone with the same problem? I have the Andream unit with the last MCU and SW installed.

Regards
Appreciate 1
xmax314.50
      07-18-2020, 02:09 PM   #3568
biomed27
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molinetti View Post
Hi again, I continue with wireless carplay connection problems, it works more or less automatically 50%, the rest of ones I require to connect disconnect BT connection and usually works, sometimes I have need to restart MMI. Anyone with the same problem? I have the Andream unit with the last MCU and SW installed.

Regards
I am having the same issue. At least with the latest software, everything works smoothly after connecting
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 04:11 PM   #3569
astrapowerrr
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW I3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molinetti View Post

Regards
I have this also. Can't get it fixed. I now always go to Bluetooth menu on iPhone and connect to CarPlay. As my WiFi is already connected when getting near the car. Very annoying
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 04:41 PM   #3570
devlinsky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 M50d / ex E90 335i / Panda

While I don't have the unit yet, you could try to drive off and wait for the phone to drop the WiFi access - shouldn't it connect to the mmi unit automatically as the next available network? Thinking out loud here.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 07:58 PM   #3571
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBMW View Post
Any Android users out there using Mirroring instead of AA?!? Surprised I haven't gotten' a single response
1. Yes, thru a file edit that I may attempt this weekend.
2. No as that is 2 different systems that connect speak because screen share is basically a passthrough mode for your phone to only display, and not interact with the unit. The tech just isn't setup for that.

As far as using mirror link instead of AA, its great for the exact reasons you are saying, like watching a movie on a long road trip or using an outside app. The majority of people just want better navigation and song navigation with their in car controls out of comfort. Its like wanting a touch screen when you dont have one, to make your life easier.

That all being said, mirror link is great for all aftermarket usage and is still being explored for greater potential.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 08:12 PM   #3572
vennids
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 5

Are there any other mirroring apps that work with these units? The recommended one doesn't work on my phone.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 10:32 PM   #3573
Molinetti
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrapowerrr View Post
I have this also. Can't get it fixed. I now always go to Bluetooth menu on iPhone and connect to CarPlay. As my WiFi is already connected when getting near the car. Very annoying
Yes, is not a plug&play experience...I suppose that the NBT Evo with Carplay not have this problem...Is not a cheaper option of course but I am thinking about it...Other option is giving feedback about it to Andream team...BimmerTech SW has the same connection issues with CarPlay??
Regards
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 02:53 AM   #3574
bgalakazam
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i

Garage List
2015 BMW 328i  [0.00]
So many people seem to be having issues. My install was 'it just works'. Every now and then (days) the iPhone will not auto connect. Solution is to go to paired devices and tap Disconnect then Connect. 3 sec fix.

Did I just get a lucky unit / sw version?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 05:01 AM   #3575
Kyokushin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32 428i, F32 420i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypayne05 View Post
I haven't tried that yet. I'm only connect by BT to the mmi. Not connected to the idrive. I will try and connect the Bt to the idrive tonight and see what happens
And how about?

I think that is the most hot feature people would like to know.
I am also holding on the buying before i will able to use OEM BT for calling simultaneously with CarPlay MMI.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 07:47 AM   #3576
Matusov
Matusov
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G07

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1 View Post
Quote:
Any Android users out there using Mirroring instead of AA?!? Surprised I haven't gotten' a single response
Yes might be possible.

There is an xml file for it, where the screen is defined as 1180x480 instead of the correct size of 1280x480
Quote:
Quote:
Yes might be possible.

There is an xml file for it, where the screen is defined as 1180x480 instead of the correct size of 1280x480

I noticed another oddity, in mirroring Netflix won't output to the cars screen. Kind of defeats the whole purpose if some apps won't output. Any workarounds?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 09:12 AM   #3577
jaypayne05
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i Gran Coupe M Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyokushin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypayne05 View Post
I haven't tried that yet. I'm only connect by BT to the mmi. Not connected to the idrive. I will try and connect the Bt to the idrive tonight and see what happens
And how about?

I think that is the most hot feature people would like to know.
I am also holding on the buying before i will able to use OEM BT for calling simultaneously with CarPlay MMI.
I haven't got around to it yet. Maybe today after work I will try
      07-19-2020, 10:52 AM   #3578
Besty78
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matusov View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Yes might be possible.

Quote:
Quote:
Yes might be possible.

I noticed another oddity, in mirroring Netflix won't output to the cars screen. Kind of defeats the whole purpose if some apps won't output. Any workarounds?
some apps won't allow casting mate , used to be a workaround but you need to be rooted or jailbroken
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 12:02 PM   #3579
jackmarble
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Where did you get the official script from?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly1337 View Post
I managed to extract the .bin using the official script and repack it again.
In the isp.c only the signature needs to be changed: (thx Laurens0619 )
Code:
const u08 file_header_signature[] = "Gemini_ISP_image";
After recompiling ('make') it worked for me using the 'extract4tftpupdate' function.
That will split each partition into multiple files: TFTP0000.BIN contains the flash script for that single partition and any subsequent file (TFTP00xx.BIN) will be a 2MB chunk of that partition.
I wrote a script that will extract and merge each partition back into a single file:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

PARTITIONS="uboot2 env env_redund ecos kernel rootfs spsdk spapp nvm pq logo tcon iop_car runtime_cfg vi isp_logo vendordata pat_logo version_info vd_restore anm_logo";

mkdir partitions;

for part in $PARTITIONS; do
        echo $part;
        ./isp_gemini extract4tftpupdate ISPBOOOT.BIN $part $part
        rm partitions/$part;
        rm $part/TFTP0000.BIN;
        cat $part/TFTP* > partitions/$part;
        rm -rf $part;
        echo "";
done;
Afterwards the local dir 'partitions/' should contain all partitions.
Only problem now are uboot and xboot partitions. It will only extract 'uboot2', so we are missing 'xboot1', 'xboot2', 'uboot0' and 'uboot1'.
They are not extracted because according to the comments in the isp.c script they are never flashed to the unit.
But you still need it for the file, of course.
uboot1 and uboot2 are identical, so they can just be copied.
The other boot partitions can be extracted from the original .bin file using dd.

Once you finally have all the partitions back together, this is the partition table and repack command:
Code:
./isp_gemini pack_image ISPBOOOT.BIN \
    xboot0 uboot0 \
    xboot1 0x100000 \
    uboot1 0x100000 \
    uboot2 0x100000 \
    env 0x80000 \
    env_redund 0x80000 \
    ecos 0x800000 \
    kernel 0x600000 \
    rootfs 0x5A0000 \
    spsdk 0x34E0000 \
    spapp 0x1400000 \
    nvm 0x1000000 \
    pq 0x20000 \
    logo 0x200000 \
    tcon 0x20000 \
    iop_car 0x200000 \
    runtime_cfg 0x100000 \
    vi 0x20000 \
    isp_logo 0x500000 \
    vendordata 0x40000 \
    pat_logo 0xD00000 \
    version_info 0x20000 \
    vd_restore 0x40000 \
    anm_logo 0x600000
The resulting .bin file is almost identical to the original file.
Why almost? While the flashing script at the end is mostly the same and even all the md5 checksums perfectly match, the NAND flash commands are different.

The original .bin has them like this:
Code:
nand write.bblk $isp_ram_addr $isp_nand_addr 0x8800
While the new one has this:
Code:
bblk write bblk $isp_ram_addr $isp_nand_addr 0x8800
So either this does not matter and is just a different syntax - or the public code uses a newer/different version of u-boot/xboot, which we don't have :/

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 01:31 PM   #3580
jhembach
Rep
Drives: F48

There’s some great discussion here and I’m hoping to get some tips on my setup. I installed a box yesterday from AliExpress. Based on the menu, it looks like the Andreas variant. It worked beautifully for about half an hour, but since then it’s just a black screen.

The phone still connects, but beyond that nothing. If I hold the 8 or the Menu button, I can hear a click in the box switching modes, but nothing happens beyond that. The green LED is is on in the box and the blue flashing. I’ve tried to force a firmware update, alas also without success.

Any ideas?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 01:35 PM   #3581
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhembach View Post
There’s some great discussion here and I’m hoping to get some tips on my setup. I installed a box yesterday from AliExpress. Based on the menu, it looks like the Andreas variant. It worked beautifully for about half an hour, but since then it’s just a black screen.

The phone still connects, but beyond that nothing. If I hold the 8 or the Menu button, I can hear a click in the box switching modes, but nothing happens beyond that. The green LED is is on in the box and the blue flashing. I’ve tried to force a firmware update, alas also without success.

Any ideas?
Double check the quadlock connections and make sure that they are fully seated.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 02:18 PM   #3582
jhembach
Rep
Drives: F48

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
I just removed and reseated both quadlock cables but no change. I don’t think that can be it - the headunit and the CarPlay box are both getting power. And when in iDrive mode the display and everything else works fine. It just seems that the CarPlay unit has stopped outputting video of any kind (but video pass through works fine).

Maybe just dead hardware? Seems odd after being fine for twenty minutes after install.

Last edited by jhembach; 07-19-2020 at 02:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 05:02 PM   #3583
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
I just removed and reseated both quadlock cables but no change. I don’t think that can be it - the headunit and the CarPlay box are both getting power. And when in iDrive mode the display and everything else works fine. It just seems that the CarPlay unit has stopped outputting video of any kind (but video pass through works fine).

Maybe just dead hardware? Seems odd after being fine for twenty minutes after install.
You may be right. You may have received a defective unit.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 05:39 PM   #3584
darylrese
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D LCI M Sport

Quote:

Have you set the DIP switch correctly? Also push in the display cables to the box. Mine did this and I pushed everything in and although it felt in already it came alive
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 05:41 PM   #3585
darylrese
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D LCI M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by biomed27 View Post
Just upgraded andream unit to latest version. All the bugs seemed to be resolved but I noticed that the menu button stopped working. Prior to the update, pressing the menu button would exit the app and display all the apps. Anyway to enable that again?
It changed to back key. Hold it for a second or two and it does same as menu used to.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 05:42 PM   #3586
biomed27
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylrese View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by biomed27 View Post
It changed to back key. Hold it for a second or two and it does same as menu used to.
No way of changing it back to the menu key?
Appreciate 0