F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
ARMA SPEED

08-01-2020, 09:10 AM   #3851
cerij101
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d F11

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDHC View Post
What does MCU do again? Its firmware for the MMI? Should i run the latest andream one? Currently running the latest bimmertech that is cross compatible.
I'd be interested to know the difference between MCU and firmware as well
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 09:18 AM   #3852
ngiannitsaros
Rep
Drives: BMW 640d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly1337 View Post
Release: Custom firmware v1.0

Hey guys,
as promised here is the first public release of my custom firmware.

Version 1.0 includes:
  • Android Auto Widescreen Fix
  • Custom boot logo (BMW icon)
  • Replaced Z4 car image on integrated PDC/camera screen
  • Black flash/update screen

A big thank you to cossie1 and dkeruza for helping me figuring things out and also thanks to xDHC and muniz_ri for test flashing the custom firmware

You can find the versions v1.0.A0.mod (for Andream NBT; based on v2.1.0.6.gpe.b) and v1.0.C0.mod (for Carlinkit NBT; based on v9.2.5.yl.b) on the first page.
If there is a high demand I might make versions for RoadTop and also CIC based devices.

Let me know how it goes.

New Android Auto Widescreen

Since my unit is bricked I can't make demo pictures of my own, but have a look at the pictures provided by xDHC: Post1, Post2
Attachment 2361781

Custom flash/update screen
Attachment 2361782

BMW boot logo
Attachment 2361783

Replaced Z4 car on PDC screen
See cossie's post for more details and images: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=3318
Attachment 2361810
Can you please also make the custom firmware for CIC Roadtop version?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 10:47 AM   #3853
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by vennids View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly1337 View Post
Which version are you running?
I am running Mod.v2.1.0.7.gpe.c (sent to me by muniz_ri ) and MCU 20.6.18
I must have screwed up or maybe the cic fw is different, idk. Anyway, I am sure that FireFly will eventually release a custom fw for cic units.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 02:23 PM   #3854
Chase123
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i F30

Andream nbt unit f30 with cic-high

Hello together,

I also have the black screen problem with my andream nbt unit. I got the cic-high system in my f30 from 2012, so I bought the nbt version that fits with the cables and the screen. I built everything up and tried to boot but when I long press the menu button to start CarPlay there is "click" noise and a black screen 😢 when I press again, the normal bmw system runs again. Does anybody have the same issues? Do I have to press the small white switches on the box to solve the problem or is it anything else?

Thank you advance guys!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 12:48 PM   #3855
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerij101 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDHC View Post
What does MCU do again? Its firmware for the MMI? Should i run the latest andream one? Currently running the latest bimmertech that is cross compatible.
I'd be interested to know the difference between MCU and firmware as well
The mcu is the "bridge" between the cars inputs, e.g. headlights, idrive controller, and the mmi system sw. It translates those inputs into commands usable by the system sw.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 01:00 PM   #3856
HeatGun
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 335i N55

Can anyone tell me if you are able to answer phone calls by pressing the “answer” button via carplay? If I am not mistaken I was able to answer and end calls with that button plus the button above (voice command) let me enable Siri. Now they don’t work via carplay or may be I am confused.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 01:30 PM   #3857
HeatGun
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 335i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase123 View Post
Hello together,

I also have the black screen problem with my andream nbt unit. I got the cic-high system in my f30 from 2012, so I bought the nbt version that fits with the cables and the screen. I built everything up and tried to boot but when I long press the menu button to start CarPlay there is "click" noise and a black screen 😢 when I press again, the normal bmw system runs again. Does anybody have the same issues? Do I have to press the small white switches on the box to solve the problem or is it anything else?

Thank you advance guys!
The switches in the back gotta be in 1,2,3 on, rest off
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2020, 02:52 PM   #3858
Fishie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 32ix

How long would you guys say it takes your phone to connect to carplay?

If you were to get to the car and start it up asap about how long does it take to connect (wirelessly) and show carplay on the screen (with autoconnect turned on)? Is it almost instant, 20 seconds, 1 minute, etc...
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 03:13 PM   #3859
chambo622
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie View Post
How long would you guys say it takes your phone to connect to carplay?

If you were to get to the car and start it up asap about how long does it take to connect (wirelessly) and show carplay on the screen (with autoconnect turned on)? Is it almost instant, 20 seconds, 1 minute, etc...
When it works (majority of the time), it's instant. There have been less than a handful of times where the phone just didn't want to connect and I ended up resetting the MMI which brought it back up.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 03:52 PM   #3860
wildandbeyond
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (F48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbrere View Post
Exactly the same thing

I have no idea if it’s a faulty unit, software or something I’m doing. I’ve even had this before

https://streamable.com/oloy1r

Seller has sent me a ISPBOOT.bin for this though no idea if it’s related to it periodically not switching on or the message. Only seen that message a few times when the unit starts (when it wants to) so not always. It also goes in a few seconds.

I’ll actually try that! it’s lovely when it works. I’d rather fix it than dispute with the seller.
I think it’s likely to be faulty hardware as it sounds similar to my experience. Bought a Roadtop unit from Amazon UK in mid June. Fitted to my 2016 F48 X1, plagued with black screens, slow loading times regardless of wireless or wired (iPhone). Tried updating MCU etc to latest, got worse. Same issues as you, wouldn’t turn on unless I reset idrive by holding volume button. Checked all cables, all secured and proper.

Ordered an Andream unit from the member on here. Fitted today and working perfectly. Maybe there are a bad batch of units?

Sent the Roadtop back. Have a good feeling about this Andream unit.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 10:57 PM   #3861
f304dr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Can someone double check the link to see my idrive menu if I have NBT? Was told i have cic high and to get the NBT unit because i have a 2013 328i but the seller thinks i need cic? Not sure which anymore.

Last edited by f304dr; 08-02-2020 at 11:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 12:35 AM   #3862
Fishie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 32ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by f304dr View Post
Can someone double check the link to see my idrive menu if I have NBT? Was told i have cic high and to get the NBT unit because i have a 2013 328i but the seller thinks i need cic? Not sure which anymore.
You have the same car as me, you need the NBT MMI because you have CIC-high. You also might run into some audio or microphone issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 03:58 AM   #3863
cerij101
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatGun View Post
Can anyone tell me if you are able to answer phone calls by pressing the “answer” button via carplay? If I am not mistaken I was able to answer and end calls with that button plus the button above (voice command) let me enable Siri. Now they don’t work via carplay or may be I am confused.
Yes that works for me on wired Carplay. Doesn't work on wireless Android Auto. Haven't tried other combinations.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 04:07 AM   #3864
cerij101
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
The mcu is the "bridge" between the cars inputs, e.g. headlights, idrive controller, and the mmi system sw. It translates those inputs into commands usable by the system sw.
Thanks. I wonder, if it's possible to develop customised firmware, is it possible to customise the MCU as well? For example, to make the phone button work in Android Auto
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 04:49 AM   #3865
FransL
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by f304dr View Post
NBT with some audio issues and work arounds. See this thread for HIGH-CIC
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 06:15 AM   #3866
Chase123
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatGun View Post
Quote:
Hello together,

Thank you advance guys!
The switches in the back gotta be in 1,2,3 on, rest off
Thank you, it worked! 🙏
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 07:14 AM   #3867
f304dr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie View Post
You have the same car as me, you need the NBT MMI because you have CIC-high. You also might run into some audio or microphone issues.
Kk thanks so much again, I ordered the NBT based of you saying that before and mentioned cic high is the reason for getting nbt but had the seller and even bimmertech saying I need cic when their own website even says I actually need NBT due to the pin out of the screen right?

Last edited by f304dr; 08-03-2020 at 07:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 08:24 AM   #3868
f304dr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FransL View Post
NBT with some audio issues and work arounds. See this thread for HIGH-CIC
Thanks for the link, im aware of the issues and knew about the road top mic tap but could never find the store on AliExpress. Guessing this is the preferred version for our model year.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 08:44 AM   #3869
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerij101 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
Thanks. I wonder, if it's possible to develop customised firmware, is it possible to customise the MCU as well? For example, to make the phone button work in Android Auto
I believe that there are people on here working on a solution that will make the Android Auto experience much better including routing calls via the oem bluetooth connection which will enable the phone button on the steering wheel and allow you to hear incoming phone calls even when using the iDrive for FM radio for example, auto-launch so that AA automatically starts up when you unlock your car like it does for CarPlay, automatic night mode switching fix, widescreen support including dpi fix, and some aesthetic customizations. Pretty much making the experience the way it should be.

Last edited by muniz_ri; 08-03-2020 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 11:30 AM   #3870
Chase123
Rep

I currently use the andream box with wired CarPlay. Everything works fine, but I'm thinking of putting in the antenna to have the option for wireless CarPlay. (Unfortunately I didn't build it in, when I got the box, so I have to remove everything again and put it back in). Are there any disadvantages of using wireless CarPlay? Do you guys have any problems in comparison to wired CarPlay?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 11:59 AM   #3871
xDHC
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F20 116i

Quote:
I currently use the andream box with wired CarPlay. Everything works fine, but I'm thinking of putting in the antenna to have the option for wireless CarPlay. (Unfortunately I didn't build it in, when I got the box, so I have to remove everything again and put it back in).
Initially i broke my antenna but you can still get signal without it, its going to be 1-2 stripes only so massive lags and delays.

Quote:
Are there any disadvantages of using wireless CarPlay? Do you guys have any problems in comparison to wired CarPlay?
Apart from your phone not charging, no.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 12:02 PM   #3872
SDriver18i
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 s18i 2019

Hey guys, I'm from the F48 forums and just bought an MMI from x5m254 for the F48 but I keep getting this clicking noise and "No Signal" message when I switch to the MMi.

I've looked around and found nothing. x5m254 helped me try a few things but to no avail. Swapped cables in probably every different manner available. Nothing. Anyone seen this and can diagnose this?

The unit connects and it works perfectly as I could screenshot the Carplay screen from my iPhone. idrive, audio, camera and all controls work perfectly fine. It just doesn't display the MMi. Weird.

Appreciate 0