F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Hit a massive pothole- Unsure about the damage
Extreme Powerhouse
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-10-2020, 08:25 PM   #1
McNutSackMcGee
New Member
9
Rep
21
Posts

Drives: 2015 AW 435i ShadowLine
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Birmingham, AL

iTrader: (0)

Hit a massive pothole- Unsure about the damage

Picture attached. Not to sure what Iím looking at damages wise. Purchased a new rim as the previous one was dented and took it to Costco to get it replaced and they pointed this out to me. Left front side wheel spins freely (undamaged side) while the right front side will not spin freely (damaged side). Does anyone have any idea what kind of damage Iím looking at?
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 09:49 PM   #2
ClevelandBeemer
Second Lieutenant
ClevelandBeemer's Avatar
59
Rep
207
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cleveland, OH

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 335i  [0.00]
2013 X5 xDrive35i  [0.00]
You should not be driving this car anymore. You have one of two failures. Either the strut hat is no longer attached or there is a possible failure in the hub carrier. Either way do not drive the car with the tire touching the strut.

This is not normal.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 09:51 PM   #3
McNutSackMcGee
New Member
9
Rep
21
Posts

Drives: 2015 AW 435i ShadowLine
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Birmingham, AL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBeemer View Post
You should not be driving this car anymore. You have one of two failures. Either the strut hat is no longer attached or there is a possible failure in the hub carrier. Either way do not drive the car with the tire touching the strut.

This is not normal.
I havenít been driving it at all. Itís been sitting for a week. Combination of bent rim and now this. Only time itís been moved is it put it off and on the tow truck.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 09:54 PM   #4
ClevelandBeemer
Second Lieutenant
ClevelandBeemer's Avatar
59
Rep
207
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cleveland, OH

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 335i  [0.00]
2013 X5 xDrive35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNutSackMcGee View Post
I havenít been driving it at all. Itís been sitting for a week. Combination of bent rim and now this. Only time itís been moved is it put it off and on the tow truck.
Good to know. Sounds like its already at the shop?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 09:59 PM   #5
skier_du
Private First Class
skier_du's Avatar
United_States
49
Rep
126
Posts

Drives: 335Xi
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: North Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Most likely this is the same problem I had with my car. After a number of massive potholes, I started to see smoke from, passenger wheel well while driving. Also nicked the front right was significantly lower than the front left. Turned out the extreme force of bottoming our had shoved the shock down in the hub. This can happen if there's not much of a lip, like my Bilstein shocks at the time, and the pinch bolt isn't torqued down enough. The fix is to losses it up, pull the shock back out, and tighten the punch bolt a lot. They're very strong bolts so they can take a lot of torque. Not sure what the factory torque value should be.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 05:27 AM   #6
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
2721
Rep
5,677
Posts

Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Herts, UK.

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_du View Post
Most likely this is the same problem I had with my car. After a number of massive potholes, I started to see smoke from, passenger wheel well while driving. Also nicked the front right was significantly lower than the front left. Turned out the extreme force of bottoming our had shoved the shock down in the hub. This can happen if there's not much of a lip, like my Bilstein shocks at the time, and the pinch bolt isn't torqued down enough. The fix is to losses it up, pull the shock back out, and tighten the punch bolt a lot. They're very strong bolts so they can take a lot of torque. Not sure what the factory torque value should be.
I think this is a very likely explanation of what's happened. It's the kind of thing that any half-decent shop should have identified quickly.

From memory, the clevis (pinch) bolts which tighten the hub clamp around the mcpherson strut are recommended to be tightened to 100NM. Don't just take word for that though - do check the correct torque.
__________________
Current : F31 330sD, DMS remap, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway Motorsports top mounts, SuperPro poly bushes, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK with Pagid RS4-2 pads, Birds ARBs.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 09:49 AM   #7
xpro
Second Lieutenant
91
Rep
274
Posts

Drives: 335XD
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Emerald

iTrader: (0)

Whats after happening here the impact from pothole fully compressed the shock and when it hit the solid end, the strut moved from it sleeve pushing the carried bearing( strut holder) further upwards into the strut.

This can be rectified easily as said above by releasing the shock clamp and adjusting the strut, but the problem is that stop pin on the strut has been sheared off. Therefore you wont be able to perfectly align the strut with the pin broken.
I suggest you replace the strut.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 11:53 PM   #8
McNutSackMcGee
New Member
9
Rep
21
Posts

Drives: 2015 AW 435i ShadowLine
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Birmingham, AL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpro View Post
Whats after happening here the impact from pothole fully compressed the shock and when it hit the solid end, the strut moved from it sleeve pushing the carried bearing( strut holder) further upwards into the strut.

This can be rectified easily as said above by releasing the shock clamp and adjusting the strut, but the problem is that stop pin on the strut has been sheared off. Therefore you wont be able to perfectly align the strut with the pin broken.
I suggest you replace the strut.
You guys are actually all correct. The issue was found the following business day that the shop was open and its set for repairs now. Should have it by Tuesday as long as no additional damage is found after the strut replacement and alignment. Will be paying out of pocket as to not raise my insurance premiums due to them counting it as collision!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 02:00 PM   #9
Gen13 F36
Colonel
Gen13 F36's Avatar
United_States
740
Rep
2,036
Posts

Drives: 428i Gran Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNutSackMcGee View Post
You guys are actually all correct. The issue was found the following business day that the shop was open and its set for repairs now. Should have it by Tuesday as long as no additional damage is found after the strut replacement and alignment. Will be paying out of pocket as to not raise my insurance premiums due to them counting it as collision!
Huh... what insurance is this? This is usually covered by comprehensive part of the insurance which doesn't raise the premium.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST