F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Hit a massive pothole- Unsure about the damage
Extreme Powerhouse

01-10-2020, 08:25 PM   #1
McNutSackMcGee
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW 435i ShadowLine

Hit a massive pothole- Unsure about the damage

Picture attached. Not to sure what Iím looking at damages wise. Purchased a new rim as the previous one was dented and took it to Costco to get it replaced and they pointed this out to me. Left front side wheel spins freely (undamaged side) while the right front side will not spin freely (damaged side). Does anyone have any idea what kind of damage Iím looking at?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 09:49 PM   #2
ClevelandBeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i M-Sport

Garage List
2013 335i  [0.00]
2013 X5 xDrive35i  [0.00]
You should not be driving this car anymore. You have one of two failures. Either the strut hat is no longer attached or there is a possible failure in the hub carrier. Either way do not drive the car with the tire touching the strut.

This is not normal.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 09:51 PM   #3
McNutSackMcGee
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBeemer View Post
You should not be driving this car anymore. You have one of two failures. Either the strut hat is no longer attached or there is a possible failure in the hub carrier. Either way do not drive the car with the tire touching the strut.

This is not normal.
I havenít been driving it at all. Itís been sitting for a week. Combination of bent rim and now this. Only time itís been moved is it put it off and on the tow truck.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 09:54 PM   #4
ClevelandBeemer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i M-Sport

Garage List
2013 335i  [0.00]
2013 X5 xDrive35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNutSackMcGee View Post
I havenít been driving it at all. Itís been sitting for a week. Combination of bent rim and now this. Only time itís been moved is it put it off and on the tow truck.
Good to know. Sounds like its already at the shop?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 09:59 PM   #5
skier_du
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335Xi

Most likely this is the same problem I had with my car. After a number of massive potholes, I started to see smoke from, passenger wheel well while driving. Also nicked the front right was significantly lower than the front left. Turned out the extreme force of bottoming our had shoved the shock down in the hub. This can happen if there's not much of a lip, like my Bilstein shocks at the time, and the pinch bolt isn't torqued down enough. The fix is to losses it up, pull the shock back out, and tighten the punch bolt a lot. They're very strong bolts so they can take a lot of torque. Not sure what the factory torque value should be.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 05:27 AM   #6
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_du View Post
Most likely this is the same problem I had with my car. After a number of massive potholes, I started to see smoke from, passenger wheel well while driving. Also nicked the front right was significantly lower than the front left. Turned out the extreme force of bottoming our had shoved the shock down in the hub. This can happen if there's not much of a lip, like my Bilstein shocks at the time, and the pinch bolt isn't torqued down enough. The fix is to losses it up, pull the shock back out, and tighten the punch bolt a lot. They're very strong bolts so they can take a lot of torque. Not sure what the factory torque value should be.
I think this is a very likely explanation of what's happened. It's the kind of thing that any half-decent shop should have identified quickly.

From memory, the clevis (pinch) bolts which tighten the hub clamp around the mcpherson strut are recommended to be tightened to 100NM. Don't just take word for that though - do check the correct torque.
      01-13-2020, 09:49 AM   #7
xpro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XD

Whats after happening here the impact from pothole fully compressed the shock and when it hit the solid end, the strut moved from it sleeve pushing the carried bearing( strut holder) further upwards into the strut.

This can be rectified easily as said above by releasing the shock clamp and adjusting the strut, but the problem is that stop pin on the strut has been sheared off. Therefore you wont be able to perfectly align the strut with the pin broken.
I suggest you replace the strut.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 11:53 PM   #8
McNutSackMcGee
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpro View Post
Whats after happening here the impact from pothole fully compressed the shock and when it hit the solid end, the strut moved from it sleeve pushing the carried bearing( strut holder) further upwards into the strut.

This can be rectified easily as said above by releasing the shock clamp and adjusting the strut, but the problem is that stop pin on the strut has been sheared off. Therefore you wont be able to perfectly align the strut with the pin broken.
I suggest you replace the strut.
You guys are actually all correct. The issue was found the following business day that the shop was open and its set for repairs now. Should have it by Tuesday as long as no additional damage is found after the strut replacement and alignment. Will be paying out of pocket as to not raise my insurance premiums due to them counting it as collision!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 02:00 PM   #9
Gen13 F36
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNutSackMcGee View Post
You guys are actually all correct. The issue was found the following business day that the shop was open and its set for repairs now. Should have it by Tuesday as long as no additional damage is found after the strut replacement and alignment. Will be paying out of pocket as to not raise my insurance premiums due to them counting it as collision!
Huh... what insurance is this? This is usually covered by comprehensive part of the insurance which doesn't raise the premium.
Appreciate 0