F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Service History Lost
GetBMWParts

01-15-2020, 08:18 AM   #1
delkeo
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series

Service History Lost

Bought my first BMW a couple of months ago and was sold as an approved used car with FSH. There was no service book with the car on delivery and only a couple of services listed on the computer of the car.

The dealer cant find the history and have offered to either buy the car back or are looking into what else can be offered.

Looking for some advice on wether this has happened to anyone else and what would be the best thing to do?

Should i sell it back or what should i push for in way of compensation for buying a car which wasnt as advertised?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 09:10 AM   #2
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive25i

You can't rely on the computer as it is an extra step for the mechanic to transfer it to the board computer. You can however take you key to any BMW mechanic and he can find whatever any BMW mechanic has made on your car. I think that should be the first step. It could actually have full service history without a book and without an updated computer.

Second step in my world would be to have the car checked at an independent test center - preferably paid by the seller. If they say the car is OK i would ask the seller for a internal engine clean and then i wouldn't care anymore about the service history. I would just make sure everything is serviced well as of now.
      01-15-2020, 05:08 PM   #3
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feddersen View Post
You can't rely on the computer as it is an extra step for the mechanic to transfer it to the board computer. You can however take you key to any BMW mechanic and he can find whatever any BMW mechanic has made on your car. I think that should be the first step. It could actually have full service history without a book and without an updated computer.

Second step in my world would be to have the car checked at an independent test center - preferably paid by the seller. If they say the car is OK i would ask the seller for a internal engine clean and then i wouldn't care anymore about the service history. I would just make sure everything is serviced well as of now.
Good advise. Follow it and you should be fine.
Appreciate 0